Binding ED Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bk1

Binding ED Question

Postby bk1 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:37 pm

So some ED's, NYU and NU that I know of, specifically prohibit applying to another ED during the same year.

NYU ED wrote:An ED applicant to NYU may not be an ED applicant to any other law school during the same admissions cycle.

NU ED wrote:I have not submitted nor will submit an ED contract to any other law school.

While nothing in these contracts specifically states that you are released from them if not admitted, they do note that you are no longer bound to attend if not admitted to ED. However, after asking NYU's admissions office I got an interesting email:

NYU Admissions Office wrote:A student is released from his or her ED contract if he or she is not admitted. If a candidate is put on "hold" he or she is considered with the regular decision pool and no longer bound by the terms of the ED contract.

This confuses me because, to me, being released from the ED contract would mean you are free to initiate ED applications elsewhere because you are no longer bound by its terms (one of which is not to initiate any other ED applications that cycle). They dodge the question when I email them so I am going to call and see what they say, but do any of you have some insight?

It would be nice to definitively know which schools allow you to "double dip" on ED's and which don't.

Re: Binding ED Question

Postby 2014 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:47 pm

As soon as you are either declined or deferred from ED to NYU your application is no longer ED so by their own wording you are free to ED elsewhere. It only gives an outline of what you can do while you are an ED applicant.

The NU one on the other hand is trickier in that they are more clear. I would definitely email or call NU to get the company line on what they mean by that.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:49 pm

2014 wrote:As soon as you are either declined or deferred from ED to NYU your application is no longer ED so by their own wording you are free to ED elsewhere. It only gives an outline of what you can do while you are an ED applicant.

The NU one on the other hand is trickier in that they are more clear. I would definitely email or call NU to get the company line on what they mean by that.

I didn't think of it that way for NYU. NU has emailed me basically restating what their contract says. I don't expect NU to allow for it, but NYU's wording makes me think it may be possible.

lennonist

Postby lennonist » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:09 pm

bk1 wrote:
2014 wrote:As soon as you are either declined or deferred from ED to NYU your application is no longer ED so by their own wording you are free to ED elsewhere. It only gives an outline of what you can do while you are an ED applicant.

I didn't think of it that way for NYU. NU has emailed me basically restating what their contract says. I don't expect NU to allow for it, but NYU's wording makes me think it may be possible.

Isn't a part of the problem the fact that by the time you find out your NYU ED is now a regular decision (or a rejection), it's already December, i.e. way too late to apply for other EDs (Nov 15 is the latest for most, right?)?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:40 pm

According to the this graph (http://www.top-law-schools.com/decision-dates.html) some schools give ED responses by early November. On top of that, some schools have later ED deadlines like UVa and Duke.

lennonist

Postby lennonist » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:55 pm

bk1 wrote:According to the this graph (http://www.top-law-schools.com/decision-dates.html) some schools give ED responses by early November. On top of that, some schools have later ED deadlines like UVa and Duke.

No wonder I didn't know about those deadlines - not applying to either school :)

Planning to do NYU ED only while applying to others regular decision but early (before Nov 15).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”