Is the Dec '10 LSAT too late for reaches [This Cycle]?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
things fall apart

Is the Dec '10 LSAT too late for reaches [This Cycle]?

Postby things fall apart » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:34 am

I came close to getting into some schools I wanted last cycle. I got a full scholly at a T3 but decided to work overseas for a year and try next cycle. However, as it goes moving overseas I wanted to settle down befor another crack at the LSAT, and being as the Oct test is about 40 days away, I thought Dec10 would give me all the time I need to knock that out of the park.

However getting the score on 12 Jan 2011 makes things a bit complicated for applying again to schools where I want to reach a bit.

Is this advisable (I'm a Af Am male, great softs, lower GPA, great work exp, looking to strike mid 160s) or should I super crunch for Oct 10 or *as a bonus* sit out another year.

Obviously I'm just looking for advice, as I know I'm gonna get the "well what do you want to do" answer.

Re: Is the Dec '10 LSAT too late for reaches [This Cycle]?

Postby 2014 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:39 am

The standard TLS answer seems to be that December is too late for this cycle if you want the best chance of getting in. This is even more true for splitters and URMs who have unpredictable cycles and benefit the most from early apps.

things fall apart

Postby things fall apart » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:06 am

Well the next question is whether or not I should retake the LSAT? Score just <160....

things fall apart

Postby things fall apart » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:32 am

things fall apart wrote:Well the next question is whether or not I should retake the LSAT? Score just <160....

How would I fare with ED? Id consider that instead of retaking(i have a full scholly at a T3).

2ofspades

Postby 2ofspades » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:42 pm

things fall apart wrote:
things fall apart wrote:Well the next question is whether or not I should retake the LSAT? Score just <160....

How would I fare with ED? Id consider that instead of retaking(i have a full scholly at a T3).

For a low-GPA, AA male with "great softs" and WE, a mid-160s LSAT + applying early will do more for you than a 15X + ED. If you are already testing consistently at your goal score in the mid-160s, then October might be doable. Otherwise, I'd do December. You can still apply this year to your top choices, and reapply more broadly if you don't get an offer. If you're WLed everywhere, you have the option of going Earlier Decision (taking a deferral).

Also, unless your GPA is truly low, aim higher than T3. Or even so...

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:23 pm

I don't know much about this but I would assume the URM boost + a mid 160s score would be fine even if you went complete mid-Jan. You can submit apps earlier and just wait for the score.

2ofspades

Postby 2ofspades » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:14 pm

JJDancer wrote:I don't know much about this but I would assume the URM boost + a mid 160s score would be fine even if you went complete mid-Jan. You can submit apps earlier and just wait for the score.

Unfortunately, though, the underlined is true:

2014 wrote:The standard TLS answer seems to be that December is too late for this cycle if you want the best chance of getting in. This is even more true for splitters and URMs who have unpredictable cycles and benefit the most from early apps.

URM + mid-16X is quite strong, but by the time you're halfway through January, schools have already issued the vast majority of their offers. Up until then, they have been addressing applicants on individual merit, but at that point the question in their mind changes - it becomes, what is missing from the class? Are they missing enough high LSATs? High GPAs? Engineers? Women? This is why splitters and URMs who might have a strong cycle before Thanksgiving suddenly have dreadful cycles after New Year's. It just becomes very unpredictable.

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:13 am

Hm, good to know. I am currently practicing in the high 160s and I think I am URM (south american) with a 3.68 gpa. My complete and ultimate goal is to getting my Apps in and completed by November 15th. I seriously hope the october test doesn't go wrong :(

The Real Jack McCoy

Postby The Real Jack McCoy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:22 am

If you'd be happy sitting out another year, I'd take the December exam and apply to see what happens. Maybe something works (as noted above, it'll be unpredictable), but if it doesn't and you improve your LSAT score you'll have a great cycle next year. Given the economy and still struggling legal market, there is no rush to get into law school if you have other options and can improve your school of attendance.

If you wouldn't be happy taking the year, I'd bust my ass for the October exam and try to pick up as many points as I can. I'd probably do very heavy games studying (if you aren't already -0), by the way, but that is a separate question. If October fails, there is always December. Edit: As P-D notes below, an improved score in December will beat a 159 early application.

Good luck!
Last edited by The Real Jack McCoy on Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:23 am

2ofspades wrote:
things fall apart wrote:

For a low-GPA, AA male with "great softs" and WE, a mid-160s LSAT + applying early will do more for you than a 15X + ED. If you are already testing consistently at your goal score in the mid-160s, then October might be doable. Otherwise, I'd do December. You can still apply this year to your top choices, and reapply more broadly if you don't get an offer. If you're WLed everywhere, you have the option of going Earlier Decision (taking a deferral).

Also, unless your GPA is truly low, aim higher than T3. Or even so...

I don't know if people understood this from last year, but the schools are developing a practice of sitting on applications because they know more good students are applying later and more students are applying to more schools. On top of that, the arms race (with schools essentially buying GPA's and LSAT's) is forcing schools to look harder at later applications. ED/EA is only a huge advantage for the absolute best of the best students these days.

If you are simply a top or very good student, applying early won't really do that much for you. Put your best foot forward; turn in your apps in late november/early December at the latest, and take the December LSAT if you're unsure. A December 165 trumps an October 159 every time.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:41 am

Also taking in December, and also scared that I won't get into any reaches this cycle as a splitter. But my understanding is that if you can get at least 4 points more, it will be worth it to take in Dec instead of Oct. Don't forget this simple fact: your LSAT score will be the single largest factor to determine where you get accepted.

hijodehombre

Postby hijodehombre » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:54 am

This is tough question, but the answer really depends on your reaches. Look at the graphs for decision dates, for example, and compare Columbia vs. U Chi or USC and GW:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/decision-dates.html

SBrooks516

Postby SBrooks516 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:59 am

Great Advice!! I changed my test date from the October LSAT to the December LSAT because I was not quite ready, I am taking a test prep course and the teachers really advised against taking the December LSAT they were pushing me to do the October, but I didnt listen and changed anyways because my highest prep test was a 158 and I need a 160 strong to be considered because of my low GPA, they were encouraging me to apply early and I would have a better chance but I wasnt even confident in scoring a strong 155 on the real test only because 158 was my strongest score and I started at 130 and put in alot of hard hard hard ....VERY HARD work to gain the almost 30 point jump, LR is hurting my score the most so I know with more and more practice I should definitely get the hang of things...Anyways this forum made me feel much better about taking the December test, and also like PD says a 160 will always look better than a early 150.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:50 pm

Also remember that even though the publicize Jan 12 or whatever it is as score release dates, they actually get them out much earlier. I took Dec last year and got my score just before Christmas I think. I took June this year and got it back I think within 3 weeks. So if you get your apps in before the scores come out, you may be late, but not THAT late (they'd probably get your whole app a little after the holiday).

A 16x is WAY better than <160. I'd do Dec. If you dont get in, you can always wait another year and get more "real world" experience.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:29 am

wait till next june, study like crazy, hit a 170+, enjoy baller schly.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”