CA law schools

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bk1

Re: CA law schools

Postby bk1 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:23 pm

Knockglock wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:I'm disappointed that this thread turned out to be a trooolll...I feel like CA schools aren't discussed nearly enough on TLS :cry:

I agree, there's a definitely East Coast bias/leaning. I'm from Cali as well. We can have a non-troll CA LS discussion sometime though :).

It's also that 9 of the T14 are on the East Coast and the top schools in general are mostly in the east or midwest.

hijodehombre

Postby hijodehombre » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:29 pm

General Tso wrote:they aren't really all that different. if you want biglaw, you won't have a good shot coming out of either Davis or Hastings, although in recent years it seems that large firms are more willing to visit SF than Davis.

the reputation scores are a wash...generally admissions data too. the real reason for Davis' bump up in USNWR is things like expenditures/student (Hastings is a big school, Davis probably has more money, and is probably counting the new building construction cost towards this figure), faculty: student ratio (again, Hastings is a big school), and Davis claiming 98% employed at graduation.

I am of the opinion that this last figure is outright fraud. If you look at USNWR from years past, Davis never claimed a significantly higher employment rate than Hastings. That makes sense, since they are peer schools. In the 2009 rankings they jumped up from the long-time 70-75% employment rate up to 85%. In 2010 (the real whopper), Davis claimed 98% employed at graduation, higher than Boalt and almost 30% higher than Hastings (which claimed a realistic and consistent with past reportings 69% employment rate).

are the numbers reported to USNWR supposed to match the numbers provided by the ABA?

MrAdams

Postby MrAdams » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:32 pm

I have started a non-troll-tastic thread for you guys to discuss these schools any further.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=128650

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:40 pm

bk1 wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:I'm disappointed that this thread turned out to be a trooolll...I feel like CA schools aren't discussed nearly enough on TLS :cry:

I agree, there's a definitely East Coast bias/leaning. I'm from Cali as well. We can have a non-troll CA LS discussion sometime though :).

It's also that 9 of the T14 are on the East Coast and the top schools in general are mostly in the east or midwest.

Thank you Knock!

and BK...I know most of the top schools are on the East Coast but there ARE some over here...even Stanford gets kind of ignored here lol

MrAdams wrote:I have started a non-troll-tastic thread for you guys to discuss these schools any further.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=128650

On my way! :mrgreen:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”