Editing School List

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pennymore

Editing School List

Postby pennymore » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:46 pm

Hi everyone,

Happy Sept. 1st! Law school apps are starting to pop up on LSAC starting today. I have a little problem: how does one wheedle down a law school list? I'm taking my LSAT in Oct so I won't know for sure what my #s are yet. Currently, 30 schools on the list. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

St.Remy

Re: Editing School List

Postby St.Remy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:56 pm

pennymore wrote: Happy Sept. 1st! Law school apps are starting to pop up on LSAC starting today. I have a little problem: how does one wheedle down a law school list? I'm taking my LSAT in Oct so I won't know for sure what my #s are yet. Currently, 30 schools on the list. Any suggestions?

Use the number you are most consistently testing at during prep as a rough guide, factoring in that oftentimes people drop a few points on test day. Couple that with your GPA and prune your list of everything that is far too high or far too low. Go to the websites of the schools that remain and see if any particular aspects particularly interest you, how many courses they offer in your area of interest, etc. and any schools you don't find anything at all to be interested about consider scratching off your list (unless they are among the highest ranking schools you can expect to get into, in which case keep them). Below the top 14 ranked schools you should also take into account that you will likely end up living in the area around wherever the school is located. Cross out any schools located in areas you wouldn't like to live in for the foreseeable future.

You won't even be able to submit applications until you get your LSAT score anyhow, so when you eventually do get your score you will have a chance to change your list accordingly before you pay the app fee and submit.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”