LOR panic

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
escapefrom

LOR panic

Postby escapefrom » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:53 pm

I know that application season has only just begun, but I commissioned letters of recommendation from my previous bosses over a month ago. One of them submitted the letter, but the other two (the ones I was closer to) are just hanging out in the wind! I gave them a three-week "deadline" to mail it in, but neither did. I sent them two polite reminder e-mails, but haven't heard anything since.

Suggestions? Condolences? I want to get these applications out of the way.

whymeohgodno

Re: LOR panic

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:55 pm

Try calling them. If they don't pick up or don't return your messages, find someone else.

escapefrom

Postby escapefrom » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:56 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Try calling them. If they don't pick up or don't return your messages, find someone else.

I just sent a reminder e-mail again yesterday. If I don't hear from them by the weekend, a-callin' I shall go. However, I don't have one of their phone numbers....crap.

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:58 pm

You shouldve called a while ago. Now you risk pissing them off and a bad recommendation.

Eh, whatevs.

escapefrom

Postby escapefrom » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:27 pm

gdane5 wrote:You shouldve called a while ago. Now you risk pissing them off and a bad recommendation.

Eh, whatevs.

I called one to ask for a recommendation, and we talked for a while. He's currently working in a desert where he has irregular cell coverage. The other one whose number I don't have gave me a really, really great recommendation for my current job. I don't think sending two polite e-mails will take that off track.

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:38 pm

escapefrom wrote: Suggestions? Condolences? I want to get these applications out of the way.

Sorry for your loss. Just keep trying to get a hold of your recommenders through email, phone, whatever. Don't barrage them with calls or anything but do keep at it. Worse comes to worse you only need one of them to get back to you since you already have one letter in, though I understand that the two you don't have yet are the two that you expect to be the best. My advice is that if one just isn't coming through then that person probably has other things going on and the letter that you eventually get won't be as good as you expected it to be when you asked.

escapefrom

Postby escapefrom » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:41 pm

St.Remy wrote:
escapefrom wrote: Suggestions? Condolences? I want to get these applications out of the way.

Sorry for your loss. Just keep trying to get a hold of your recommenders through email, phone, whatever. Don't barrage them with calls or anything but do keep at it. Worse comes to worse you only need one of them to get back to you since you already have one letter in, though I understand that the two you don't have yet are the two that you expect to be the best. My advice is that if one just isn't coming through then that person probably has other things going on and the letter that you eventually get won't be as good as you expected it to be when you asked.

Haha, thank you. You're right.

I thought of one more person I could ask for a recommendation, so I'm going to call him tomorrow and see if he's up for it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”