UCLA letters of recommendation

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

UCLA letters of recommendation

Postby lawbruin » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:07 pm

So I have a bit of a problem that I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on. I just graduated from UCLA undergrad with a major in philosophy, and I am now applying to UCLA Law. I have 4 letters of rec from 3 professors and 1 ta. I know that UCLA only allows a maximum of 2 lors, so I need to decide what to do. All 4 of my letters are UCLA specific, especially in regards to the Law and Philosophy Program at UCLA Law. 2 of my lors are from professors who are actually apart of the core faculty of that program at UCLA Law. I think it would look good to have those two lors sent, BUT (and this is the problem) the other professor and the ta both have known me for longer than the first two professors. I know that they always say to go with those recommenders who know you best and for the longest, but I am wondering if, in this case, I would be better off going with the two who actually teach for the law school.

One solution to my problem would be if I could send all 4, or even just 3. Does anyone know if this is possible? I would greatly appreciate any advice I can get on this subject. Thanks and good luck to all those applying this cycle!

Re: UCLA letters of recommendation

Postby bk1 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:13 pm

You could call the admissions office and ask if they allow for more LOR's. But whatever they end up saying, don't ignore directions. If they ask for two, send two.

If you can only send two then send the two you think are the best, regardless of how long that person has known you. Some people write better LOR's after a month of knowing someone than other people do after a year, it really depends on the person's writing and how they feel.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”