W&L Requires 2 Evaluators

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Xnegd

W&L Requires 2 Evaluators

Postby Xnegd » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:02 pm

I've already asked all my necessary recommenders for LOR's, and I see W&L requires two of the new "Evaluators" to be submitted in their application.

I'd rather not bother the people I spent months hounding to get LORs for now even more info. Seeing as this is so new, do you think it will be terrible if I omit that step. Will the LSAC even let me send in an application if I don't finish this field?

Rowinguy2009

Re: W&L Requires 2 Evaluators

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:16 pm

When I looked up what an "evaluator" even was, the clip about it said that evaluators could be required, recommended, or not accepted at all. If they are required, then obviously you must do it.

If it is recommended, none of us can really tell you how important it is since it is a brand new thing. Personally I tried to include everything that was asked for in my applications, so if you are serious about W&L I would say do it, even though the whole "evaluator" thing seems really sketchy to me.

kroger03

Postby kroger03 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:20 pm

Yeah that really sucks because the application says it is required. I definitely don't want to have to ask my recommenders to evaluate me after they've already completed my letters.

Xnegd

Postby Xnegd » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:27 pm

kroger03 wrote:Yeah that really sucks because the application says it is required. I definitely don't want to have to ask my recommenders to evaluate me after they've already completed my letters.

Yea, my thoughts exactly.

OrdinarilySkilled

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:34 pm

Check the "application instructions" It says they require 2 references whether LOR or evaluations. I think LSAC just messed it up.

dmbuff1

Postby dmbuff1 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:08 am

Yeah, LSAC probably just put required since it is one of their options to fulfill their requirement. More pathetic attempts to whore out their new service.

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:18 am

OrdinarilySkilled wrote:Check the "application instructions" It says they require 2 references whether LOR or evaluations. I think LSAC just messed it up.

W&L should jump on this and get it corrected/clarified. Otherwise I bet it will significantly decrease the number of apps they get (how many people will go through the hassle of getting 2 of the stupid evaluator things just for the sake of W&L? I haven't heard of any other schools requiring it).

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:41 am

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm in a similar dilemma.

Cornell recommends 2 evaluators. Is it a bad idea to not have any?

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:49 am

whymeohgodno wrote:I don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm in a similar dilemma.

Cornell is an interesting case because I bet that they're using evaluators as a measure of interest. They know that nobody else cares or even wants these new evaluator things and that they are the only schools so far to push them, so if you jump through the hoops to get them you must really be interested in Cornell. Therefore I think if Cornell is your top choice and/or you are borderline in terms of numbers getting evaluators would be a good move, but less because of what they say and more because you bothered to get them.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:47 am

St.Remy wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:I don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm in a similar dilemma.

Cornell is an interesting case because I bet that they're using evaluators as a measure of interest. They know that nobody else cares or even wants these new evaluator things and that they are the only schools so far to push them, so if you jump through the hoops to get them you must really be interested in Cornell. Therefore I think if Cornell is your top choice and/or you are borderline in terms of numbers getting evaluators would be a good move, but less because of what they say and more because you bothered to get them.

I'm wondering, if you'd be a strong consider for a school would you rather indicate MORE or LESS interest when considering scholarship money?

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:50 am

Does anyone know what the evaluation forms ask/look like? I chose the best people to write rec letters for me I could but like OP don't want to hassle them anymore. If these evaluations aren't that detailed could I just get some prof whose class I got an A in fill it out?

7ED

Postby 7ED » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:58 am

I had the same problem, though the school im applying at only "recommends" 2 evaluations. I just asked for additional evaluations. if they are truly good reference letters, then they wouldn't mind doing an evaluation for u. it doesn't take that long and it is submitted electronically. the form arrives in their inbox.

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:59 am

Hannibal wrote: I'm wondering, if you'd be a strong consider for a school would you rather indicate MORE or LESS interest when considering scholarship money?

Yeah I always wonder about that too. It seems like the line between a nice scholarship and YP is a thin one. I'd always put getting admitted before scholarship money so I'd always go with more interest, but if I were to roll the dice and shoot for $$$ less interest might be the way to go.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”