LOR from Forensics Coach

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
arewhyaen

LOR from Forensics Coach

Postby arewhyaen » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:52 pm

I plan on having my Speech and Debate coach be one of my LORs. However, I've been reading around that it is highly recommended to have 2 academic LORs. My debate coach has seen me grow and deliver some great results. He could comment on my determination and work ethic. Debate functioned as a class, but I don't think his LOR would comment specifically on my academic ability per se. Am I correct in thinking this? Should I pursue a third LOR from an academic source that would be good but not as enthusiastic as my coach would be? And in the case of schools asking for just 2 LORs, which ones would I submit?

Thanks guys!

Dany

Re: LOR from Forensics Coach

Postby Dany » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:54 pm

1. That's academic if it was a class.
2. It's fine.

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:12 pm

Are you starting straight from undergrad? Or some # of years out?

I think if straight from UG you need 2 LORs from prof-types. If not then you're probably fine.

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:37 pm

eskimo wrote:1. That's academic if it was a class.
2. It's fine.

I agree. I'd take the LOR from your coach, it's much better to have a LOR that you're sure will be enthusiastic and strong rather than one you're iffy about.

arewhyaen

Postby arewhyaen » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:45 pm

scruffs mcguff wrote:Are you starting straight from undergrad? Or some # of years out?

I think if straight from UG you need 2 LORs from prof-types. If not then you're probably fine.

Thank You for Eskimo and KnockGLock.

And for Scruffs, I'll be starting straight from undergrad, and I'll take what you said into consideration.

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:47 pm

I just assumed that was a general rule of thumb... straight from UG - should have 2 lors from profs/academia

I think if this person holds a position in academia it could count as one, right? The recommender doesnt have to say

"Ryan was in my Debate 101 class" right?

arewhyaen

Postby arewhyaen » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:53 pm

scruffs mcguff wrote:I just assumed that was a general rule of thumb... straight from UG - should have 2 lors from profs/academia

I think if this person holds a position in academia it could count as one, right? The recommender doesnt have to say

"Ryan was in my Debate 101 class" right?

I wouldnt be sure. Debate functioned as a class, but it was credit/no credit, and credit depended on just participating in competitions. However after the 2nd semester, I just stopped adding the class and just decided to show up so that I wouldn't have a bunch of "CRs" on my transcript. So you could see why I might be confused as to whether my coach(who serves as a Lecturer at the Univ also) would serve as a Academic or Work-related LOR.

By the way, how'd you know my name? hahah deciphered the sn?

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:59 pm

Jesus christ it's academic. The coach is a lecturer at your university, it's offered as a class, YOU TOOK IT AS A CLASS! I don't mean to be harsh, but we're telling you the right thing, and you're trying to nitpick. I promise you it's fine.

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:59 pm

arewhyaen wrote: By the way, how'd you know my name? hahah deciphered the sn?

Because I am your Debate coach.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:02 pm

scruffs mcguff wrote:
arewhyaen wrote: By the way, how'd you know my name? hahah deciphered the sn?

Because I am your Debate coach.

LOLOL!

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:04 pm

boom inception

arewhyaen

Postby arewhyaen » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:08 pm

:shock:

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:16 pm

--ImageRemoved--

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:25 pm

arewhyaen wrote:
I wouldnt be sure. Debate functioned as a class, but it was credit/no credit, and credit depended on just participating in competitions. However after the 2nd semester, I just stopped adding the class and just decided to show up so that I wouldn't have a bunch of "CRs" on my transcript. So you could see why I might be confused as to whether my coach(who serves as a Lecturer at the Univ also) would serve as a Academic or Work-related LOR.

Well it certainly isnt work related. I can't see how it wouldn't be considered Academic. Your coach obviously can speak to your oratory abilities and how you performed in a group learning environment... not to mention competitions. I think it would be a great LOR.

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:37 pm

eskimo wrote:Jesus christ it's academic. The coach is a lecturer at your university, it's offered as a class, YOU TOOK IT AS A CLASS! I don't mean to be harsh, but we're telling you the right thing, and you're trying to nitpick. I promise you it's fine.

Welcome to TLS.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:24 pm

Knockglock wrote:
eskimo wrote:Jesus christ it's academic. The coach is a lecturer at your university, it's offered as a class, YOU TOOK IT AS A CLASS! I don't mean to be harsh, but we're telling you the right thing, and you're trying to nitpick. I promise you it's fine.

Welcome to TLS.

arewhyaen

Postby arewhyaen » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:54 pm

You guys swear like I'm crying over here. Two users said it'd be fine, one said he wouldn't be sure. I elaborated my situation and BAM it was taken care of. But thanks for the affirmation guys. I really do appreciate it, as sarcastic as that may sound.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:59 pm

arewhyaen wrote:You guys swear like I'm crying over here. Two users said it'd be fine, one said he wouldn't be sure. I elaborated my situation and BAM it was taken care of. But thanks for the affirmation guys. I really do appreciate it, as sarcastic as that may sound.

I just like posting that picture whenever "Welcome to TLS" comes up. FWIW, Knock was talking to me, haha. On a nicer, eskimo-needs-to-be-less-stressed-out note, that sounds like a great rec, and it's certainly within the realm of academia. Good luck!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”