Submitting incomplete apps early

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
katie96

Submitting incomplete apps early

Postby katie96 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:32 am

Is it better to submit complete apps, or to submit piece by piece (ex. fill out general app first, then send LORs, a little later send personal statement... etc.)?

The reason I ask is because I want my apps to be in as EARLY as possible. I won't have an LSAT score until the October test, though.

Thoughts? :D

lifestooquick

Re: Submitting incomplete apps early

Postby lifestooquick » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:45 am

They won't look at your app until it's complete. I would just wait until you have everything ready and hit submit then.

katie96

Postby katie96 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:05 am

What about submitting everything together, but before my LSAT score comes out?

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:10 am

katie96 wrote:What about submitting everything together, but before my LSAT score comes out?

If what you submit doesn't include your LSAT score then you aren't "submitting everything together."

Bert

Postby Bert » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:16 am

LSAC will not even send your application to the school until there is a valid score in your file, so, the schools will not receive it until at least November-ish (assuming that is when the scores are released).

If you can get all of the loose ends tied up prior to the October LSAT score being released, you will be no worse off than if you had everything buttoned up today.

katie96

Postby katie96 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:17 am

St.Remy wrote:
katie96 wrote:What about submitting everything together, but before my LSAT score comes out?

If what you submit doesn't include your LSAT score then you aren't "submitting everything together."

Granted, but I'm wondering, as someone who wants to take advantage of being early, if it would be beneficial to have everything except my LSAT score already submitted so that when my LSAT score DOES come in, I automatically go complete, rather than having to wait a little longer. Do ad comms not like this?

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:21 am

katie96 wrote:
St.Remy wrote:

Granted, but I'm wondering, as someone who wants to take advantage of being early, if it would be beneficial to have everything except my LSAT score already submitted so that when my LSAT score DOES come in, I automatically go complete, rather than having to wait a little longer. Do ad comms not like this?

This is the ideal situation - have everything else ready to go so that when your LSAT score comes in your application goes complete. This is all on the LSAC side of things, I don't know that adcomms would even be aware nor would they care. Adcomms do not get involved at all until your file is complete and sent on to the school I believe.

Bert

Postby Bert » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:41 am

katie96 wrote:Granted, but I'm wondering, as someone who wants to take advantage of being early, if it would be beneficial to have everything except my LSAT score already submitted so that when my LSAT score DOES come in, I automatically go complete, rather than having to wait a little longer. Do ad comms not like this?

Nothing will be delivered to the schools until your LSAT score is released. That being said, if you take the LSAT, finalize your PS, complete your applications and submit them on the LSAC website, etc., by the time that the November LSAT scores are released, you will have submitted your applications as early as you can -- November. The "early" I think you are referring to (having apps submitted in September and October) is not possible in your situation -- this is more of a benefit to taking the LSAT prior to September (i.e. June, February, last October, etc.).

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:06 am

How does it work if you retake the LSAT? I am taking it in October and plan on submitting my application as soon as my score is released, but what if I decide to also take the December test?

Bert

Postby Bert » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:17 am

flgator10 wrote:How does it work if you retake the LSAT? I am taking it in October and plan on submitting my application as soon as my score is released, but what if I decide to also take the December test?

Assuming your apps are otherwise complete (i.e. all required LORs are in, transcripts are in, PSs are complete, etc.), and assuming that you do not cancel your your October score, your application will get distributed in November when you have a reportable LSAT score. That package to the school from the LSAC folks will, in the LSAT score section, indicate that you that you are registered for the December sitting. In January, when the December scores are released, the law schools will receive an update package from the LSAC folks containing your new score.

katie96

Postby katie96 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:26 am

Bert wrote:
katie96 wrote:Granted, but I'm wondering, as someone who wants to take advantage of being early, if it would be beneficial to have everything except my LSAT score already submitted so that when my LSAT score DOES come in, I automatically go complete, rather than having to wait a little longer. Do ad comms not like this?

Nothing will be delivered to the schools until your LSAT score is released. That being said, if you take the LSAT, finalize your PS, complete your applications and submit them on the LSAC website, etc., by the time that the November LSAT scores are released, you will have submitted your applications as early as you can -- November. The "early" I think you are referring to (having apps submitted in September and October) is not possible in your situation -- this is more of a benefit to taking the LSAT prior to September (i.e. June, February, last October, etc.).

Will the ad comms care at all or even realize it if I submit everything else at the beginning of October?

Postby 2014 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:29 am

Wait till your LSAT score is in. Hypothetically if you send first, you might be on the line for the app fee if it isn't waived. If that is the case and say you are applying to UVA but you get your LSAT in at a 165 (sub any school and any LSAT below their standards), then you wouldn't really have appreciated paying UVA for the app. If you get your score and approve of it and immediately hit submit, it will cost you a few hours at most...

katie96

Postby katie96 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:35 am

2014 wrote:Wait till your LSAT score is in. Hypothetically if you send first, you might be on the line for the app fee if it isn't waived. If that is the case and say you are applying to UVA but you get your LSAT in at a 165 (sub any school and any LSAT below their standards), then you wouldn't really have appreciated paying UVA for the app. If you get your score and approve of it and immediately hit submit, it will cost you a few hours at most...

But let's say I don't really mind the app fee...

Bert

Postby Bert » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:14 pm

katie96 wrote:Will the ad comms care at all or even realize it if I submit everything else at the beginning of October?

I don't really know the answer to these questions, but I do not think that the adcomms are ever told when your application was submitted to LSAC, or if they really care. All statements on your application are pretty much factual statements and your answers to the questions will most likely be the same no matter when your application was submitted. Well, except for those questions geared towards character and fitness, but even with respect to the questions geared towards C&F, you do have an obligation to notify the school if something happens after submission of your application that would alter your response to the question.

Do keep in mind that one question in some apps (but not all) was "what was your LSAT score?" which you technically can not fill out until the scores are released, but on the night you get the score, you can fill those in and send them right out.

In my opinion, you should be primarily focusing on the LSAT and getting the loose ends resolved right now, and not focusing on the the applications. Once you have taken the LSAT and have tied up the loose ends, if you feel that you can complete the apps and you don't care about the cost of paying for each application submitted (i.e. obtaining fee waivers based on LSAT score), there is no real disadvantage to completing your apps and submitting them prior to the score release. While the application may not get to the adcomms until after your LSAT score is released, at least you are in queue to be processed way before those people who only focus on their applications once their LSAT score is released in November.

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:39 pm

Bert wrote:
flgator10 wrote:How does it work if you retake the LSAT? I am taking it in October and plan on submitting my application as soon as my score is released, but what if I decide to also take the December test?

Assuming your apps are otherwise complete (i.e. all required LORs are in, transcripts are in, PSs are complete, etc.), and assuming that you do not cancel your your October score, your application will get distributed in November when you have a reportable LSAT score. That package to the school from the LSAC folks will, in the LSAT score section, indicate that you that you are registered for the December sitting. In January, when the December scores are released, the law schools will receive an update package from the LSAC folks containing your new score.

Thanks. So what happens if I register for the December LSAT after the package has already been sent to the schools with my October LSAT score? Will they notify the schools or would I be expected to notify the schools?

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:42 pm

flgator10 wrote: Thanks. So what happens if I register for the December LSAT after the package has already been sent to the schools with my October LSAT score? Will they notify the schools or would I be expected to notify the schools?

That would be your responsibility, not LSAC's.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”