Submit without 3rd LOR???

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nonprofit-prophet

Submit without 3rd LOR???

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:24 am

I have two letters of rec. from professors, however, they are from 2008. I've been working for two years, so I decided to include a letter from my former boss (just switched jobs this summer). My former organization is going through a PR nightmare right now, so she is understandably having difficulty setting aside enough time to write a strong LOR. I went back into the application instructions, and the app asks for two academic LORs and makes it sound like a LOR from work could replace one if a candidate is having difficulty securing a LOR from an old prof.

Is it ok to submit my app without her LOR, or will the school view me as someone who has worked for two years, but was unable to get a LOR because of some unknown deficiency?

For clarification, I'm EDing UVA, so it would be nice to get my app in as soon as possible.

nonprofit-prophet

Re: Submit without 3rd LOR???

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:17 am

bumpity bump

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:25 am

Most schools want the recommended number of LORs included with the application. In the case of UVA that means 2. As you already pointed out a letter from a boss is a measure usually taken when you have been out of undergrad for so long that academic LORs would be difficult to attain: this is not your situation. I would say not to wait for the LOR from your boss unless it will be absolutely amazing or if you think it will address something that you believe must be communicated to the admissions officials. If your former boss has his hands full right now as you say, I would be worried that he would not have the time or focus necessary to write you a truly sterling LOR, but you know him best so use your judgment.

I furthermore don't think anyone reading your application will care that much about you not having an LOR from your 2 years of WE.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:32 am

great points, thank you. Also, UVA requires two Letters of rec, but accepts up to 4.

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:45 am

nonprofit-prophet wrote:great points, thank you. Also, UVA requires two Letters of rec, but accepts up to 4.

This thread has a good discussion on the recommended vs. accepted number of LORs
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=127189
Consensus being schools like to see only the recommended number of LORs unless those additional LORs are absolutely stellar or absolutely necessary.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:49 am

awesome link. Thank you.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:04 am

Just go with the two strong academic recs. The last thing you want is a halfhearted attempt at a letter because your boss was too busy to craft a great letter, and law schools prefer academic LORs anyway! 2 good, relevant letters >>> 2 good, relevant letters + a mediocre one.

Good luck!

Postby 2014 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:33 am

Save your bosses for any waitlists you might get on. I would assume an extra, more recent letter, would be useful for them when judging whether to admit you off a WL or not.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:35 am

2014 wrote:Save your bosses for any waitlists you might get on. I would assume an extra, more recent letter, would be useful for them when judging whether to admit you off a WL or not.

This is a good idea.

2ofspades

Postby 2ofspades » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:33 pm

eskimo wrote:
2014 wrote:Save your bosses for any waitlists you might get on. I would assume an extra, more recent letter, would be useful for them when judging whether to admit you off a WL or not.

This is a good idea at many but not all schools.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”