Foreign Transcript Confusion

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
annelise88

Foreign Transcript Confusion

Postby annelise88 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:04 am

Ok, I finally heard back from LSAC CAS. I'm still a little confused though. I had one year or undergrad work in the states, and then I transferred and started a full degree program abroad (a 3 year bachelor). LSAC has given me a 3.72 for the US undergrad, and an "above average" rating for my foreign degree.

What I'm confused about is in the CAS report, it says
Comparable amount of US education completed: Undergrad - three years

Quality of bachelor-equivalent academic record: Above Average

Additionally, there is a key at the bottom with some symbols and my degree is marked with a + sign which means, Bachelor-equivalent degree or coursework.

Does this mean I'm required to do another year of undergrad?!

kazu

Re: Foreign Transcript Confusion

Postby kazu » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:31 am

:shock: I don't think so... I've never heard of that happening and there're enough 3 year graduates from UK undergrads or wherever around here that if that was true, someone would have mentioned it.

I'm pretty sure if you achieve the equivalent of a U.S. undergrad, you'll be fine. Have you graduated? If you have, you might want to call LSAC and ask why it says "3 years" under "comparable amount of US education completed", not 4.

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:50 am

If you can't get an answer out of LSAC, I'd think it'd be within the bounds of reason to call the Office of Admissions at your target school(s), describe the "three year equivalent" designation, tell them that the LSAC's responses have confused you and ask if there's any issue with your degree standing vis a vis consideration for admission this cycle.

annelise88

Postby annelise88 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:38 am

Thanks for taking the time to answer!

I am finished with my degree, so I think I'll take the collective advice and contact LSAC and different admissions offices.

Thanks again.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”