addendum for cancelled score?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
7ED

addendum for cancelled score?

Postby 7ED » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:27 am

Hi, I tried to retake the LSAT in June. It was the day before I was scheduled to leave for Africa, and I was on anti-malarials. Needless to say, some of the side effects had rendered me incapable within the first 2 sections and I had to cancel my score. My previous score is perfectly fine, but I will be applying with a rather ugly cancellation coming right after it.

Is this worth writing an addendum about or will that detract from the positive aspects of my application?

kazu

Re: addendum for cancelled score?

Postby kazu » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:43 am

7ED wrote:Hi, I tried to retake the LSAT in June. It was the day before I was scheduled to leave for Africa, and I was on anti-malarials. Needless to say, some of the side effects had rendered me incapable within the first 2 sections and I had to cancel my score. My previous score is perfectly fine, but I will be applying with a rather ugly cancellation coming right after it.

Is this worth writing an addendum about or will that detract from the positive aspects of my application?

You have a valid reason, so I say go for the addendum. Don't think it'll hurt, and it might explain any "huh?"s adcomms might have when they see the cancel.

Postby 2014 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:09 am

Were you on Lariam? I had to take it for about 3 months while travelling and had some pretty crazy dreams with it.

7ED

Postby 7ED » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:09 pm

Lol I had a friend on Larium who thought there was a tidal wave coming at us on the beach. XD

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:12 pm

No. Waste of time for you to write it and waste of time for the admissions committee to read. Dont piss them off. I may as well write an addendum for why I got a boner during the Sept 2009 LSAT.

Theres no need whatesoever to explain this. Its a canceled score, not a 120.

Just do well on whatever LSAT you do take.

2ofspades

Postby 2ofspades » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:23 pm

gdane5 wrote:No. Waste of time for you to write it and waste of time for the admissions committee to read. Dont piss them off. I may as well write an addendum for why I got a boner during the Sept 2009 LSAT.

Theres no need whatesoever to explain this. Its a canceled score, not a 120.

Just do well on whatever LSAT you do take.

Agree entirely. One canceled score won't cast any doubt on your original score. Also, while it's certainly reasonable that the medication prevented you from succeeding on the test, it would also be reasonable to wonder why you chose to test during an administration when you knew you'd be on a drug that is known to have adverse neurological side effects.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”