UGPA and LSAT Score Search Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
am060459

Silver

UGPA and LSAT Score Search

Post by am060459 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:51 pm

pretty cool tool and easy to use thats found on the LSAC website.

my stats: 3.24 159 non-URM

USWNR Law School Likelihood
52. Florida State 60%
56. Case Western 50%
60. Miami 80%
72. Penn State 70%

is it safe to assume that with a Likelihood of greater than 50% i have a shot at some scholly $$$. or should i assume it with a Likelihood of over 70%?

St.Remy

Silver

Re: UGPA and LSAT Score Search

Post by St.Remy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:25 pm

With almost 900 posts I'm sure that you've seen links to Law School Numbers before, which is a better resource than the LSAC search. Based on LSN I would say that you have a good shot at Miami and an okay shot at Case Western, but you will likely be rejected from FSU and rejected or waitlisted at Penn State. I would be extremely surprised if you got any money from any of these schools.

LSN: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/

am060459

Silver

Post by am060459 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:02 pm

St.Remy wrote:With almost 900 posts I'm sure that you've seen links to Law School Numbers before, which is a better resource than the LSAC search. Based on LSN I would say that you have a good shot at Miami and an okay shot at Case Western, but you will likely be rejected from FSU and rejected or waitlisted at Penn State. I would be extremely surprised if you got any money from any of these schools.

LSN: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/
really? plz elaborate to how you came to that conclusion.

am060459

Silver

Post by am060459 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:17 pm

anyone else?

MiamiUG

New

Post by MiamiUG » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:38 pm

am060459 wrote:pretty cool tool and easy to use thats found on the LSAC website.

52. Florida State 60%
56. Case Western 50%
60. Miami 80%
72. Penn State 70%

is it safe to assume that with a Likelihood of greater than 50% i have a shot at some scholly $$$. or should i assume it with a Likelihood of over 70%?
the site says I have a higher chance at Harvard than Duke. that

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

am060459

Silver

Post by am060459 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:53 pm

^ lmao

am060459

Silver

Post by am060459 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:53 pm

Using Your UGPA and LSAT Score to Predict Likelihood of Admission to Law School:

•Results for the UGPA/LSAT search are computed using a logistic regression model employing Fall 2009 full-time application and admission data as reported by all ABA -approved law schools. The results presented represent a 95% probability that an applicant to a particular school for Fall 2009 would have had an actual chance of admission within the range indicated. Logistic regression assumes certain statistical patterns in the data and may slightly over- or under-represent the actual probability of admission of an applicant to that year’s class if those patterns were not uniformly present. For instance, this model might overestimate the probability for admittance for applicants just under the lowest score that a school accepted in 2009, and it might underestimate the probability for admittance for applicants just above that score.

•The results of searches on this data may or may not reflect current admission probabilities at a given law school for 2011 admission.

•In the reporting of the data by the law schools, an average LSAT score was used for candidates who had multiple scores.

•Law schools consider many factors in the admission process other than UGPA and LSAT score, including letters of recommendation, work experience, personal statements, extracurricular and civic activities, diversity of classes, and many others.

•Most applicants apply to a number of law schools based on a range of admission possibilities and other criteria. This search is designed to help you identify a number of schools, based on overlapping ranges, to explore further using the other searches in this Official Guide and additional research. Links to each law school are provided for additional information.

am060459

Silver

Post by am060459 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:54 pm

MiamiUG wrote:
am060459 wrote:pretty cool tool and easy to use thats found on the LSAC website.

52. Florida State 60%
56. Case Western 50%
60. Miami 80%
72. Penn State 70%

the site says I have a higher chance at Harvard than Duke. that
wats numbers did u use?

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:26 am

am060459 wrote:really? plz elaborate to how you came to that conclusion.
On Law School Numbers you get a series of data points which represent actual people, and many of those points include information on undergraduate institutions, minority status, date they got their application in, and more. By looking at the compiled data which LSN provides you get a visual representation of a school's admissions practices. Some schools are generous to splitters who have low GPAs, some have a firm LSAT wall, some have other quirks, and these can show up on the graphs and application information which LSN gives access to. This is in contrast with the LSAC tool which doesn't include every school, gives bizarre answers at times, and in general leaves out many factors that could be potentially important.

Here's a hypothetical example: let's say you are applying to Florida State with a 3.4 and a 159. Both of these scores are below the medians for FSU, but because they are close to the averages the LSAC calculator will say that you have almost a 70% chance to get in. If you go to LSN and look at the FSU graph from last year in comparison (http://fsu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/) you can see that of the people listed with numbers around 3.4/159 none of them got in. LSN gives you actual people (mostly) while the LSAC calculator gives you a useless abstraction which ignores key details like medians. In the real world a 3.4/159 has nowhere even close to a 70% shot at FSU law.

am060459

Silver

Post by am060459 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:30 am

St.Remy wrote:
am060459 wrote:really? plz elaborate to how you came to that conclusion.
On the Law School Numbers you get a series of data points which represent actual people, many of which include information on undergraduate institutions, minority status, date they got their application in, and more. By looking at the compiled data which LSN provides you get a visual representation of a school's admissions practices. Some schools are generous to splitters who have low GPAs, some have a firm LSAT wall, some have other quirks, and these can show up on the graphs and application information which LSN gives access to. This is in contrast with the LSAC tool which doesn't include every school, gives bizarre answers at times, and in general leaves out many factors that could be potentially important.

Here's a hypothetical example: let's say you are applying to Florida State with a 3.4 and a 159. Both of these scores are below the medians for FSU, but because they are close to the averages the LSAC calculator will say that you have almost a 70% chance to get in. If you go to LSN and look at the FSU graph from last year in comparison (http://fsu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/) you can see that of the people listed with numbers around 3.4/159 none of them got in. LSN gives you actual people (mostly) while the LSAC calculator gives you a mostly useless abstraction.

according to LSAC, they use actual applicants. "Results for the UGPA/LSAT search are computed using a logistic regression model employing Fall 2009 full-time application and admission data as reported by all ABA -approved law schools. "

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”