Apply now or next year?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AtticusJimbo

Apply now or next year?

Postby AtticusJimbo » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:13 am

I graduated from college this past spring, and I had already applied to schools this past 09-10 cycle, but midway through the cycle I committed to plans that will keep me busy for the next two years. I'm now intending to enter law school in fall 2012. I pulled my active apps, so I'll be reapplying to enter in 2012.

Initially I'd planned to sit this upcoming cycle out and apply next cycle, but would it make sense for me to apply this cycle intending to defer? I'd love to lock things down this year if possible AND I'd allow myself two more cracks at it: this cycle and (if necessary) the next one.

I think my app will be somewhat stronger next year than this one. But is there any downside (other than the obvious in fees and effort/time) to applying this cycle? If I apply this cycle and it doesn't go well, will that have a negative effect against my cycle next year?

TTH

Re: Apply now or next year?

Postby TTH » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:05 am

AtticusJimbo wrote:I graduated from college this past spring, and I had already applied to schools this past 09-10 cycle, but midway through the cycle I committed to plans that will keep me busy for the next two years. I'm now intending to enter law school in fall 2012. I pulled my active apps, so I'll be reapplying to enter in 2012.

Initially I'd planned to sit this upcoming cycle out and apply next cycle, but would it make sense for me to apply this cycle intending to defer? I'd love to lock things down this year if possible AND I'd allow myself two more cracks at it: this cycle and (if necessary) the next one.

I think my app will be somewhat stronger next year than this one. But is there any downside (other than the obvious in fees and effort/time) to applying this cycle? If I apply this cycle and it doesn't go well, will that have a negative effect against my cycle next year?

I wouldn't do it. Schools tend to give deferments to students when something comes up between their acceptance and enrollment. Since you know starting out that you'll be deferring, you'll be putting yourself in a position to lie to AdComms, which is not the best way to get started.

edit: "Lie" may be too strong, but less than forthright fo' sho'

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:26 am

TTH wrote:
AtticusJimbo wrote:I graduated from college this past spring, and I had already applied to schools this past 09-10 cycle, but midway through the cycle I committed to plans that will keep me busy for the next two years. I'm now intending to enter law school in fall 2012. I pulled my active apps, so I'll be reapplying to enter in 2012.

I wouldn't do it. Schools tend to give deferments to students when something comes up between their acceptance and enrollment. Since you know starting out that you'll be deferring, you'll be putting yourself in a position to lie to AdComms, which is not the best way to get started.

edit: "Lie" may be too strong, but less than forthright fo' sho'

+1

AtticusJimbo

Postby AtticusJimbo » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:34 pm

If I were to apply this cycle I'd be completely straightforward in my apps about intending to defer. But I didn't realize schools frowned upon applying with the intention to defer. Are you sure that's the case? Would this vary from school to school, or is it just a general unwritten rule?

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:10 pm

I applied knowing I want to defer a year, but I was prepared to start if my deferral request wasn't granted. If you defintely can't start school until 2012, I would just wait until next year.

Mich allows you to apply with the intention to defer, but I think it's a bit more competitive (judging from their brochure).

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:05 pm

AtticusJimbo wrote:If I were to apply this cycle I'd be completely straightforward in my apps about intending to defer. But I didn't realize schools frowned upon applying with the intention to defer. Are you sure that's the case? Would this vary from school to school, or is it just a general unwritten rule?

I don't know this for sure, but I imagine enrollment deferments count against a school's yield for a particular year, which marginally affects their ranking, so it's not something they are chomping at the bit to do.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:21 pm

I think it is acceptable to apply with the intention of deferring, if allowed. But you'll have to be willing to quit whatever you are doing. If you aren't, then don't apply.

My .02

AtticusJimbo

Postby AtticusJimbo » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:33 pm

so i called around to a few admissions offices with the question of whether it's kosher to apply without intending to enroll until the following year, and got some mixed responses. at least one said it's perfectly ok, at least one said they'd really prefer I wait to apply next year, and others were somewhere in between ("you can do that, but we can't guarantee that if you're admitted your deferment request will be accepted" type deal). so I'm not sure - I suppose I could just apply this year only to the ones that gave it the green light, and not the others. any other thoughts?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”