Calculating credit hours for lsac

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thomas85
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:00 pm

Calculating credit hours for lsac

Postby thomas85 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:59 am

I have transcripts from multiple institutions reporting credit hours differently. For example one institution is calling 3hrs per week for 52weeks '3 credits' while another is calling it '4 credits' - what is the correct method for weighing these hours according to lasc?

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Calculating credit hours for lsac

Postby im_blue » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:14 am

LSAC weights the credit hours by whatever number appears on the transcript next to the grade. They don't care how much lecture time or work that theoretically translates into.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5833
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Calculating credit hours for lsac

Postby 2014 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:47 am

3/4 hours per week for 52 weeks?

User avatar
arklogic
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:05 pm

Re: Calculating credit hours for lsac

Postby arklogic » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:01 pm

im_blue wrote:LSAC weights the credit hours by whatever number appears on the transcript next to the grade. They don't care how much lecture time or work that theoretically translates into.


I believe semester "units" are recalculated as 1.5x quarter units, right?

xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Calculating credit hours for lsac

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:57 pm

thomas85 wrote:I have transcripts from multiple institutions reporting credit hours differently. For example one institution is calling 3hrs per week for 52weeks '3 credits' while another is calling it '4 credits' - what is the correct method for weighing these hours according to lasc?


It will probably go by what shows up on the original transcript. So if you took a 4 credit hour class at university x and then university y only called it 3 hours of transfer credit- lsac will go by the university you took the class with. I think anyway...

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Calculating credit hours for lsac

Postby im_blue » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:38 pm

arklogic wrote:
im_blue wrote:LSAC weights the credit hours by whatever number appears on the transcript next to the grade. They don't care how much lecture time or work that theoretically translates into.


I believe semester "units" are recalculated as 1.5x quarter units, right?

Quarter units are recalculated as 0.67 semester units.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 4'sup, Exabot [Bot], LSRAT, SweetTort and 16 guests