Help with my career change/left graduate school addendum??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
apaint

Help with my career change/left graduate school addendum??

Postby apaint » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:08 pm

Can anyone look over this addendum and let me know if I am even on target? Thanks!!!

In August 2008 I began my graduate study in the Clinical Psychology PhD Program at XY University, studying under Dr. S. During my first year, six faculty members from the program left the university due to budget and funding problems. XY University had a hiring freeze in place; therefore the department was not able to fill any of the open positions. Additionally, graduate student funding was in severe jeopardy. I made the tough decision to follow my academic mentor to the Clinical Psychology PhD Program at AB University and began study there in August 2009. After a year and a half of experience and effort in the program, I came to the conclusion that a career in clinical psychology was not the right fit for me. I spoke with my mentor, Dr. S, and the Director of Clinical Training at AB University and although I had a 3.8 GPA, excellent evaluations and was making substantial progress in my research, the best decision for me was to leave the program due to a personal choice centered on my goals and future career desires. I began working for Dr. L in December of 2009 and chose to focus my career path towards public health and policy. I thoroughly enjoy my current work and believe knowledge of the law will allow me to advance in this field.

*Faculty evaluations of my progress in the Clinical Psychology Program can be provided upon request. Additionally, Dr. S, my academic mentor, will be providing a letter of recommendation.

apaint

Re: Help with my career change/left graduate school addendum??

Postby apaint » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:09 pm

Anyone?

hijodehombre

Postby hijodehombre » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:30 pm

I am in a similar situation. I am leaving a graduate program to apply and hopefully attend law school. It never occurred to me to write an addendum explaining why I am doing this, although I do write extensively about exactly why I want to go to law school in my personal statement.

In any case, the problem I see with this addendum is that you explain why you no longer wish to continue this career path, but I think you would be better served by writing exactly why and how becoming a lawyer would be a better fit for you. Honestly, I think you should write an addendum that explains your desire to study law, something which I think should be part of your personal statement anyway. This addendum almost sounds like law school is a last resort instead of your passion or your drive. If you are convinced about writing this addendum, I think you should expand on the things you mention in the last two sentences instead of the things you explain at the beginning. This is my first impression and I hope you get more feedback.

apaint

Postby apaint » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:33 pm

Thanks for the input! I got some advice from a couple people who messaged me as well. I was trying to keep it very brief but I have decided that I will just need to add an additional paragraph to explain a few things!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”