Help with my GPA addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bostonlawchick

Help with my GPA addendum

Postby bostonlawchick » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:07 pm

Here's my story: I went away to school as a freshman, hated it, and came home halfway through second semester. After I came home, my life fell apart. My dad lost his job and had to take a job that paid about half what the previous one did, so I had to begin working full time to help with bills while trying to go back to community college. Then my sister was hospitalized for two months for threatening to attempt suicide. The cherry on top of that year was my cousin fleeing an abusive relationship and moving across the country with her three young kids to come live with us, making it nine people living in my four bedroom house.

Needless to say, my grades suffered accordingly. I signed up for classes that fall, but stopped going after a month and only showed up for my finals (I managed to barely pass two classes that I wasn't dropped from). I didn't sign up for spring semester, dropped all my classes the next fall and didn't go back again for spring. I finally got my shit together and went back and got straight a's for a whole year and transferred to my state university, where I've been an a-b student while taking 18 credits a semester and working 40+ hours a week.

Most schools require me to explain the time off I took. How the hell do I put all of this in a concise addendum?

bk1

Re: Help with my GPA addendum

Postby bk1 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:09 pm

Just to clarify: when you say "came home halfway through the semester" you mean that you moved back home but continued to take your classes, not that you dropped out, right?

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:14 pm

no, I withdrew from classes. huge fail on my part, probably the stupidest decision I've ever made. I hated the school, hated my major, hated the people I was around. And I was eighteen and stupid. :oops:

I went to a highly ranked engineering school, decided I didn't want to be an engineer, and came home and went to the local cc.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:21 pm

Ah I understand it now, the "my grades suffered" was confusing me since you say it prior to saying that you re-enrolled in school.

The biggest problem I see here, if I am getting it correct, is that you made the decision to re-enroll after all of this happened. Even knowing you had the job, home situation, etc all on your plate you decided to go back to school. I feel that this is hard to paint in a purely factual way that comes off as a good idea.

I think, and I am sure that others may disagree with me, that you will have to insert a more "personal" line into this GPA addendum. Something like "I could not stifle my drive to continue learning; I was not going to let what was going on with my personal life stop me from getting an education." And then go on to explain that this things hurt your grades.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:23 pm

I had to go back to keep my health insurance :( That, and it had been ingrained into my brain that I needed to graduate from college, so I felt like I just couldn't stop going.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:29 pm

Then I would say note that. i.e. "In order to keep my health insurance, though also due to my personal desire for an education, I returned to college in the fall on top of all my other responsibilities." Alternatively, you could leave out the education part and only point to a need for health insurance.

Even so, I think that it will be a struggle for this addendum to come off well because the fact that this happened and you then decided to re-enroll, not that it happened while you were enrolled. Honestly this feels more like a PS topic: "I had all of this going on yet would not let my thirst for knowledge be squashed so I went back to school and juggled all of it."

LAWLAW09

Postby LAWLAW09 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:54 pm

bk1 wrote:Then I would say note that. i.e. "In order to keep my health insurance, though also due to my personal desire for an education, I returned to college in the fall on top of all my other responsibilities." Alternatively, you could leave out the education part and only point to a need for health insurance.

Even so, I think that it will be a struggle for this addendum to come off well because the fact that this happened and you then decided to re-enroll, not that it happened while you were enrolled. Honestly this feels more like a PS topic: "I had all of this going on yet would not let my thirst for knowledge be squashed so I went back to school and juggled all of it."

+1

Bunch of socioeconomic issues going on in your story. Submitting it as a DS might work as well, if you want to submit a personal statement that does nothing but highlight positives and your strengths.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:50 pm

I'm going to try to weave it into a DS, but a few schools require me to attach an explanation for the terms that I was not in school.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:11 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:I'm going to try to weave it into a DS, but a few schools require me to attach an explanation for the terms that I was not in school.

A GPA addendum and a gap in education addendum are two different things.

For the latter, which is what some schools are specifically requesting, be succinct and to the point. Tell them that you did not fit in well at the engineering school you went to, and dropped out to go enroll at a local state school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”