How much will a masters degree help?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Mojobanungo

How much will a masters degree help?

Postby Mojobanungo » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:44 am

I was wondering how much a masters degree will help me in getting into a good law school, I am entering my final year at the University of Hull (UK) (ranked ~10th for politics in the country) (I'm doing a politics degree). I should be graduating with a mid to high 2.1 (apparently its difficult to translate that into GPA but generally that is seen as ~3.5). Based on practice tests I shouldn't have any problems getting a 165+ on my LSAT. Anyway I was wondering how much a masters degree in either International Politics or International Law and Politics would help me to get into a decent law school (ideally a t14 school, but at the very least a top 50 one).

For anyone who doesn't know it only takes one year to complete a masters degree in the UK, and I will have that year whether I do a masters or not. The other choices I've been considering are doing an intensive foreign language class, or getting A-levels (equivalent to first year of college in the US) in math and physics (Though these are more for personal interest and I would only do these if the other options would have little to no effect on me getting into law school).

Any insight would be much appreciated.

revolution724

Re: How much will a masters degree help?

Postby revolution724 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:57 am

I would not recommend pursuing a Master's for the sole purpose of giving you a law school boost. It's a soft factor that may help nudge you over the line if your scores match another candidate's or if you're very close to the admissions cutoff for a school. Most of the time, you'll get in exactly where your scores say you should get in, and you won't see a pronounced effect from soft factors.

If you'd like to do it because you think it could contribute to your long-term career goals by giving you some education you won't find in law school, or because of an intellectual interest or even as an alternative to law school, then go for it.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:00 am

You should concentrate on hitting at least 168 if you wish to break t14. 165 won't get you into any t14.

Mojobanungo

Postby Mojobanungo » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:13 am

@revolution724 - Thanks for the advice dude.

@whymeohgodno - Yeah, I'm pretty sure I could even break into the 170s, I just said 165 because I scored roughly that in my last practice test; I have only been through about half of the material in the Powerscore textbooks and haven't taken a course yet, which I do intend to do.

Another option I had overlooked because I thought it took two years instead of one (I was wrong) is doing an LLM in International Law (at a British University). Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:01 am

What do you want to do with your LLM? Nor too sure about how things work over the pond, but here in the USA, basically the only LLMs worth getting are tax LLMs from NYU, UF, and GULC.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”