Quick Question about admission and international law careers Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
henry_kravis

New

Quick Question about admission and international law careers

Post by henry_kravis » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:07 am

Hi,

So basically, I've thrown away my first two years of undergrad and haven't done that well. While my overall GPA is supposedly 3.6 or 3.7, I have dropped a few classes, not taken that many credits, and all-in-all, I just feel as though I haven't spent my time effectively or been as productive as I should have been. Nowadays, I'm realizing the error of my ways, have totally different goals in mind and am ready to absolutely dominate these last two years and do whatever it takes to kill the LSAT. What I'm worried about is that, because I've been very stupid my first two years, will that ruin my chances of getting into YHS? Even if YHS are out, what about schools like Columbia, Cornell, etc.? Is there still hope to get into good schools like those, and if there is, what do I need to do to get there besides getting a 4.3 and 180 within the next two years :P ?

Finally, I am very interested in a legal career that would allow me to work on international issues/work back and forth between Asia and the US. In fact, I'd actually like to spend more time in Asia vs the US. Therefore, I was wondering what career paths will involve something like this (particularly those with a business focus), and would I be better off getting admission into legal colleges in the country I'm targeting (India) vs the US? I understand that if I were to get my degree in India, I can't technically practice in the US and vice versa, but would doing a foreign JD be better if I want to spend majority of my time there? Plus, would getting a JD in India preclude me from any collaboration with US clients, or are there still opportunity for international work even with a foreign law degree?

Cheers and thanks in advance!

Adjudicator

Silver

Re: Quick Question about admission and international law careers

Post by Adjudicator » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:21 am

First, read this and make sure you really want to be a lawyer and not just take a vacation in Asia:

http://www.annaivey.com/iveyfiles/2008/ ... e_the_hype

henry_kravis

New

Post by henry_kravis » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:51 am

Adjudicator wrote:First, read this and make sure you really want to be a lawyer and not just take a vacation in Asia:

Yeah I know I want to be an attorney. Plus, if anything, I'd want to settle in Asia and "vacation" in US than the other way around.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:08 am

henry_kravis wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:First, read this and make sure you really want to be a lawyer and not just take a vacation in Asia:

Yeah I know I want to be an attorney. Plus, if anything, I'd want to settle in Asia and "vacation" in US than the other way around.
lol Did you even read it.

florentine

Bronze

Post by florentine » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:24 am

Wow that's pretty disheartening to be honest. So, if international law isn't what is cracked up to be then what is a solid path to go with to get good summer positions as 2L??

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:08 am

International law is a mirage, although there will be an emerging market for American-trained attorneys in India to supervise LPO groups. If you want "International Law," you'll do well to gun for BigLaw and have some foreign language skills.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:25 am

sophia.olive wrote:
henry_kravis wrote:

rofl, my thoughts exactly. Clearly not, since the article has nothing to do with whether someone should be an attorney or not. The fact that this person didn't read it and decides they still want to do international law makes me think that they are the stereotypical student described in the article.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:59 am

henry_kravis wrote:

Read...

Fred_McGriff

Bronze

Post by Fred_McGriff » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:27 am

Great article.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

henry_kravis

New

Post by henry_kravis » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:37 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:
henry_kravis wrote:

rofl, my thoughts exactly. Clearly not, since the article has nothing to do with whether someone should be an attorney or not. The fact that this person didn't read it and decides they still want to do international law makes me think that they are the stereotypical student described in the article.

Calm down you e-thugs. I know that the article isn't about whether or not one should be an attorney, but the guy ASKED me to make sure whether or not I want to be an attorney and not just vacation to Asia :roll:. Fine, that article explains that I can't pursue an "international law" career, but I had other questions as well that weren't addressed. For example, I asked that, if I want to mostly work in Asia and perhaps do some work with US clients if I should go to law school in India vs the US, I asked about my current state of affairs in terms of admission to US law school, all of which haven't been addressed yet. In fact, I'm wondering if you actually read my post, or just read the title of my thread and jumped on the bandwagon of flaming me after taking my response completely out of context.

FYI, I did read it

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:39 am

Get a law degree from the country that you want to live in.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”