If I have the LSAT Kaplan books is the class worth it? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Naija-Aggie

New

If I have the LSAT Kaplan books is the class worth it?

Post by Naija-Aggie » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:01 am

My brother took the LSAT last year and took the Kaplan prep course. He did well and went up about 15 pts and left his books for me. I was planning on taking the prep class anyway but my mother just lost her job and I realize if I spend the $1200 on the course I'm going to be struggling money-wise all semester. Do you think it's worth it to take the course or should I just study with my books on my own? BTW I haven't taken my diagnostic yet :? I know I should have but I had that scheduled for Tuesday, right before my class gets started.

llivings

New

Re: If I have the LSAT Kaplan books is the class worth it?

Post by llivings » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:17 am

As a "retired" LSAT Kaplan teacher, I'd definitely advise taking the course. I know the money situation is difficult, but $1200 now is nothing in the long run if you take the class seriously and get a great score. The books are only one component of the course, and you really don't want to miss out on the other resource available to you.

That being said, only take the class if you're going to take it seriously and really invest the time. What does your brother think?

DreamShake

Bronze

Post by DreamShake » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:19 am

Two factors: your initial score and your ability to make yourself study. If your first score is very low, you may need the whole shabang of tutoring. On the other hand, if you score 160+, you could probably bump your score considerably via self-study. For example, if you have relatively few problems with LR & RC, but bomb LG, you could just buy the logic games bible and some PT's. Assuming, of course, that you have the dedication to make yourself study. Otherwise, spending $1200 might help guilt you into being a little more committed :wink:

crislaw

New

Post by crislaw » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:25 am

I took the LSAT extreme class and it was the most horrible waste of my time, money and energy...Utilize only the Mastery book for your initial prep and move on...DO NOT TAKE THE KAPLAN COURSE. Testmasters, Blueprint and other reputable prep companies put Kaplan to shame. Kaplan's instructors ( IN SAN FRANCISCO) were so incompetent, lazy and inefficient. Please, save your time and money and avoid Kaplan courses!!
Check out pithypike's guide, pretty on-point and you can do it all on your own!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”