List of Class of 2013 GPA and LSAT Medians

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: List of Class of 2013 GPA and LSAT Medians

Postby im_blue » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:01 pm

Duke
2010:
3.68 / 3.80 / 3.90
168 / 170 / 171

2009:
3.60 / 3.76 / 3.84
167 / 169 / 171

Georgetown
2010:
3.42 / 3.67 / 3.82
168 / 170 / 172

2009:
3.42 / 3.68 / 3.81
168 / 170 / 172

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: List of Class of 2013 GPA and LSAT Medians

Postby im_blue » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:10 pm

NYU 25th/75th
2010:
3.6 / 3.9
169 / 175

2009:
3.6 / 3.9
169 / 173

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: List of Class of 2013 GPA and LSAT Medians

Postby im_blue » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:22 pm

solotee wrote:UNC

c/o 2013: 3.5, 163

c/o 2012: 3.6, 162

Source? UNC's c/o 2012 numbers were 3.58 / 162, so that 3.5 GPA is probably rounded too.

vsl89
Posts: 135
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:49 am

Re: List of Class of 2013 GPA and LSAT Medians

Postby vsl89 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:59 pm

Are people reconsidering where to apply and what is a good target now in light of these new numbers?

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: List of Class of 2013 GPA and LSAT Medians

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:05 pm

vsl89 wrote:Are people reconsidering where to apply and what is a good target now in light of these new numbers?


Considering that all the changes so far are marginal, I would hope not.

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: List of Class of 2013 GPA and LSAT Medians

Postby Unemployed » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:15 pm

Whoa NYU!

vsl89
Posts: 135
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:49 am

Re: List of Class of 2013 GPA and LSAT Medians

Postby vsl89 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:54 pm

Unemployed wrote:Whoa NYU!


+1. This one is making me nervous.

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: List of Class of 2013 GPA and LSAT Medians

Postby Hannibal » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:01 pm

vsl89 wrote:
Unemployed wrote:Whoa NYU!


+1. This one is making me nervous.


+1 and +1. If I score really high on my LSAT I want it to be rare as possible.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: List of Class of 2013 GPA and LSAT Medians

Postby kazu » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:40 pm

Hannibal wrote:
vsl89 wrote:
Unemployed wrote:Whoa NYU!


+1. This one is making me nervous.


+1 and +1. If I score really high on my LSAT I want it to be rare as possible.



Wtf... how did their 75% jump 2 points???

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: List of Class of 2013 GPA and LSAT Medians

Postby Grizz » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:39 pm

St.Remy wrote:I look forward to seeing this thread evolve, and to see how the t14 landscape has shifted in the last year.


If it does, the change will probably be inconsequential. Rankings have been fairly unchanged over a significant span of time.

User avatar
Marionberry
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: List of Class of 2013 GPA and LSAT Medians

Postby Marionberry » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:43 pm

Does anyone think this might lead to increased LSAT whoring on the part of schools that haven't been historically splitter friendly? Like, for example, T20s that are in danger of getting usurped by other T20s?

User avatar
St.Remy
Posts: 526
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:12 pm

Re: List of Class of 2013 GPA and LSAT Medians

Postby St.Remy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:07 pm

im_blue wrote:NYU 25th/75th
2010:
3.6 / 3.9
169 / 175

2009:
3.6 / 3.9
169 / 173


I'm not sure that this is even possible. Even with the upswing in LSAT takers over the past couple years the number of applicants who got a 175 or better is less than a thousand people (calculated based on the number of takers and a 175 being a top 99.4 percentile score). Even if we are assuming that every single person who got over a 175 decided on law school, a fact which I know firsthand is false, NYU would have to snatch up a huge proportion of the 175+ pie to get this statistic in place. Because of NYU's class size they would have to get over 10% of everyone who scored 175 or up, when Columbia, Harvard, and Yale has to take MORE than a third of the 175+ group to just maintain their averages. Is this possible? Yes. Is it possible to do that while also not sacrificing ANY average GPA? I don't think so unless some of the other schools see their 75th drop (A situation that I wouldn't cry over).

rad law wrote:
St.Remy wrote:I look forward to seeing this thread evolve, and to see how the t14 landscape has shifted in the last year.


If it does, the change will probably be inconsequential. Rankings have been fairly unchanged over a significant span of time.


I didn't mean the landscape of the schools in terms rankings but rather which among them I'll be able to get into (though if this NYU 75th increase is true then well damn, I guess Chicago can kiss its top 5 spot goodbye again).

lawschool2014
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:20 pm

Re: List of Class of 2013 GPA and LSAT Medians

Postby lawschool2014 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:20 pm

Northwestern's GPA is exceptionally high. I am curious if candidates for the JD/MBA program included in the statistic (if so, then I would assume that the GPA median would be lower)

ajmanyjah
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: List of Class of 2013 GPA and LSAT Medians

Postby ajmanyjah » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:30 pm

im_blue wrote:
ajmanyjah wrote:Bah I knew that, but my general point still stands. This could the the acceptance of literally ONE 2.5/172 war hero that wasn't in the mix pushing it up (of course it probably ISN'T because of the size of incoming classes) but are people seriously reading into 1 point median changes?

Mathematically yes, but practically no. Assuming a law school is maximizing its medians effectively every year, it would need to increase the LSAT of a significant portion of the middle of the class to raise its LSAT median.



Considering the yield of any non Yale school, I'm gonna go with random variation being the larger part.

User avatar
Kswizzie
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:54 pm

Re: List of Class of 2013 GPA and LSAT Medians

Postby Kswizzie » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:50 pm

St.Remy wrote:I'm not sure that this is even possible. Even with the upswing in LSAT takers over the past couple years the number of applicants who got a 175 or better is less than a thousand people (calculated based on the number of takers and a 175 being a top 99.4 percentile score). Even if we are assuming that every single person who got over a 175 decided on law school, a fact which I know firsthand is false, NYU would have to snatch up a huge proportion of the 175+ pie to get this statistic in place. Because of NYU's class size they would have to get over 10% of everyone who scored 175 or up, when Columbia, Harvard, and Yale has to take MORE than a third of the 175+ group to just maintain their averages. Is this possible? Yes. Is it possible to do that while also not sacrificing ANY average GPA? I don't think so unless some of the other schools see their 75th drop (A situation that I wouldn't cry over).


I'm just curious how this all went down not too long ago a 168 with a solid gpa was good enough to land you a couple t14 acceptances when now it is below median at Vandy. Has the amount of applicants really risen enough to justify these rising medians? Or has everyone just given up to lsat whoring?

User avatar
2ofspades
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: List of Class of 2013 GPA and LSAT Medians

Postby 2ofspades » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:56 pm

kazu wrote:Hmm has anyone noticed that, if you click on "LSAC Resources Data" below Current Data and Statistics on the (newly upgraded) lsac.org site, the # of applicants was at its height during 2002~2005, and about 10,000 more per year than the last application cycle (about 100,000 ABA applicants in fall 2005 as opposed to 86,600 last year)? Was there a significant median bump then as well?

St.Remy wrote:Has there been a cycle in recent memory that was less harsh across the board than the cycle that preceded it?

Kswizzie wrote:I'm just curious how this all went down not too long ago a 168 with a solid gpa was good enough to land you a couple t14 acceptances when now it is below median at Vandy. Has the amount of applicants really risen enough to justify these rising medians? Or has everyone just given up to lsat whoring?

I don't think the median jumps we are seeing now are solely due either to an increase in total applicants over the past 2 years or to numbers-gaming on the part of schools. IIRC it was just in the past few years that LSAC decided to calculate schools' LSAT medians using applicants' highest scores rather than their average scores, and that's when most schools chose not to average in evaluative review. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.) I think much of the median increases taking place over the past few years simply reflect the resulting, increasing tendency of strong applicants to restest, creating a broader availability of top scores. In fact, the data posted by LSAC shows that in the late 2000s when the number of applicants was declining, the number of tests administered per applicant increased.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: List of Class of 2013 GPA and LSAT Medians

Postby rundoxierun » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:27 am

Wow.. didnt realize NYU's class size is as big as it is. We def need someone to backup the NYU numbers.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: List of Class of 2013 GPA and LSAT Medians

Postby im_blue » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:42 am

Michigan
2010:
3.73 / 169
6,400 apps (18.4% increase)

2009:
3.70 / 169
5,407 apps

Source: Page 18 of JD Viewbook

Michigan has been stuck at 169 since 2007, and they're virtually tied with Vandy now.

0L Hoping for 1
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: List of Class of 2013 GPA and LSAT Medians

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:02 am

St.Remy wrote:
I didn't mean the landscape of the schools in terms rankings but rather which among them I'll be able to get into (though if this NYU 75th increase is true then well damn, I guess Chicago can kiss its top 5 spot goodbye again).


I might be bias, but I dont see that happening

User avatar
Kswizzie
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:54 pm

Re: List of Class of 2013 GPA and LSAT Medians

Postby Kswizzie » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:06 am

im_blue wrote:Michigan
2010:
3.73 / 169
6,400 apps (18.4% increase)

2009:
3.70 / 169
5,407 apps

Source: Page 18 of JD Viewbook

Michigan has been stuck at 169 since 2007, and they're virtually tied with Vandy now.


Just slipped below both medians at my top choice :(

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: List of Class of 2013 GPA and LSAT Medians

Postby rayiner » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:22 am

im_blue wrote:Michigan
2010:
3.73 / 169
6,400 apps (18.4% increase)

2009:
3.70 / 169
5,407 apps

Source: Page 18 of JD Viewbook

Michigan has been stuck at 169 since 2007, and they're virtually tied with Vandy now.


YHSCNCPVDN = new T10.

User avatar
St.Remy
Posts: 526
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:12 pm

Re: List of Class of 2013 GPA and LSAT Medians

Postby St.Remy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:39 am

rayiner wrote: YHSCNCPVDN = new T10.


Berkeley's numbers have been poor compared to other similar ranking schools for a while now, so I'm betting they get their spot based on per-capita expenditure and not GPA/LSAT. Therefore I think they will stay top ten. Additionally I believe NU's huge GPA bump must be rounded or something, so I wouldn't expect it to actually break t10.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: List of Class of 2013 GPA and LSAT Medians

Postby rayiner » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:47 am

St.Remy wrote:
rayiner wrote: YHSCNCPVDN = new T10.


Berkeley's numbers have been poor compared to other similar ranking schools for a while now, so I'm betting they get their spot based on per-capita expenditure and not GPA/LSAT. Therefore I think they will stay top ten. Additionally I believe NU's huge GPA bump must be rounded or something, so I wouldn't expect it to actually break t10.


The numbers won't impact the rankings because at this level it's mostly expenditure/capita and peer rep that decides the ranking. I'm just pointing out that numbers-wise Michigan and Berkeley are TTTs in decline. ;)

As for rounding, why would you say that? Duke posted a 0.04 GPA bump and a 1 point LSAT bump after all. It seems weird to just single out NU for rounding...

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: List of Class of 2013 GPA and LSAT Medians

Postby Dany » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:50 am

im_blue wrote:NYU 25th/75th
2010:
3.6 / 3.9
169 / 175

2009:
3.6 / 3.9
169 / 173

Jesus Christ.

I didn't think I had to worry too much about CCN with a 173. Color me worried.

4102011
Posts: 1724
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: List of Class of 2013 GPA and LSAT Medians

Postby 4102011 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:55 am

eskimo wrote:Jesus Christ.

I didn't think I had to worry too much about CCN with a 173. Color me worried.


Srsly me too. Because what we really need is more worrying during that fun waiting period. Eeep!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: laqueredup, Lawl_Schoolz, PantoroB, sarasashasara, SweetTort and 5 guests