List of Class of 2013 GPA and LSAT Medians Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
IAFG

Platinum

Re: List of Class of 2013 GPA and LSAT Medians

Post by IAFG » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:30 am

BruceWayne wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
IAFG wrote:That said, if they have the placement edge, who effing cares what USNWR says.
Most of the people who frequent top-law-schools.com
Anyone who ignores placement data in the market of their preference and chooses based on ranking instead is retarded.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:40 am

The Real Jack McCoy wrote:
im_blue wrote:Harvard 25th/75th

2010: 3.78 / 3.96, 171 / 176, 7610 apps (3.0% increase)
2009: 3.76 / 3.96, 171 / 176, 7391 apps

No median numbers available, but it's safe to say they haven't changed significantly.
A little surprised the GPA didn't go up more (that so-called 3.8 soft floor is a pretty porous floor), but good to see. I suppose the increase in apps won't raise your scores much if you are tied to a very small slice of acceptable LSAT scores.
Don't forget that 20% of HLS is URM, so many of them will be in the sub-3.8 group, along with the Ivy UGs, legacies, rich donors, etc. The floor is pretty much 3.8 for everyone else.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:13 am

im_blue wrote: Don't forget that 20% of HLS is URM, so many of them will be in the sub-3.8 group, along with the Ivy UGs, legacies, rich donors, etc. The floor is pretty much 3.8 for everyone else.
Everytime you say this I get sadder :cry:

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:29 am

im_blue wrote:

No median numbers available, but it's safe to say they haven't changed significantly.
A little surprised the GPA didn't go up more (that so-called 3.8 soft floor is a pretty porous floor), but good to see. I suppose the increase in apps won't raise your scores much if you are tied to a very small slice of acceptable LSAT scores.
Don't forget that 20% of HLS is URM, so many of them will be in the sub-3.8 group, along with the Ivy UGs, legacies, rich donors, etc. The floor is pretty much 3.8 for everyone else.
Is a full 20% under-represented minorities, though? Just curious because typically Asian students are counted in minority statistics but have some of the best test scores and GPAs.

The Real Jack McCoy

Bronze

Post by The Real Jack McCoy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:30 am

im_blue wrote:

Yes, fair enough. Though it is 15% if you only count the four groups which receive a tangible boost (Afr Am, American Indian, PR, and Mex). The 20% figure counts "Hispanics" of any sort, but if there is a boost for non-Mex/PR Hispanics it is, by most accounts, pretty small. Source for percentage breakdowns:

http://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/S ... BA3457.pdf

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:09 am

2ofspades wrote:
vsl89 wrote:Placed a call to CLS -- they said LSAT median and GPA are unchanged.
Shown up by NYU.
dissonance1848 wrote:CLS is superior to NYU in employment prospects ...
Unless you want to work at a NY law firm (i.e., everyone at NYU)
dissonance1848 wrote:... campus ...
I recognize that some people prefer CLS, but there is no lacking for people who prefer the Village.
dissonance1848 wrote:... etc.
Apparently "etc." = USNWR

What? CLS is superior in NYC employment prospects and especially in national employment prospects.

ajmanyjah

Bronze

Post by ajmanyjah » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:40 pm

I don't know why people assume the higher GPAs are on purpose for west coast schools---

West Coast schools tend to give A+ more than east coast schools, couldn't this account for the GPA gap?

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:01 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:I don't know why people assume the higher GPAs are on purpose for west coast schools---

West Coast schools tend to give A+ more than east coast schools, couldn't this account for the GPA gap?
This would be relevant if only people from California went to Stanford and Berkeley. But people from all over the country go to those schools, so it is quite clearly a preference on the part of the adcomms at Stanford and Berkeley and not some oddity derived from their applicant pool.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:02 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:I don't know why people assume the higher GPAs are on purpose for west coast schools---

Hahaha... No. go do the math and figure the additional effect of an A+ vs an A and you will see why. Even at schools with an A+ very few people have more than 2 or 3

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:04 pm

tkgrrett wrote:

Hahaha... No. go do the math and figure the additional effect of an A+ vs an A and you will see why. Even at schools with an A+ very few people have more than 2 or 3
Are you talking about all UGs? Because that's certainly not true at large state schools. I average about 2 A+'s per semester, as do most of my friends who apply themselves.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:07 pm

eskimo wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:

Are you talking about all UGs? Because that's certainly not true at large state schools. I average about 2 A+'s per semester, as do most of my friends who apply themselves.

Even at large state schools, when you factor in the math and science departments this is canceled out.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:09 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
eskimo wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:

Even at large state schools, when you factor in the math and science departments this is canceled out.
Science, yes. Math, no. Math is a joke here.

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:10 pm

My UG only does A+s if the prof goes through this weird process and petitions for it and fills out forms, so I don't know anyone who does it (it doesn't affect our normal GPAs), so I was sad when I saw about LSAC and their <3 of A+s.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:44 pm

eskimo wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:

Wow :shock:. I'm transferring down there :lol:.

Also, I go to a school on the west coast, and I don't get where you came up with the idea that west coast schools tend to give A+ more than east coast schools.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:10 pm

eskimo wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:

Your school is an exception. At most schools you get very few A+ grades. Even with that said, assuming about 120 credits or the equivalent the mathematical effect of an A+ is something like +.008 over the course of undergrad.

lzyovrachievr

Gold

Post by lzyovrachievr » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:57 pm

eskimo wrote: Are you talking about all UGs? Because that's certainly not true at large state schools. I average about 2 A+'s per semester, as do most of my friends who apply themselves.
This makes me sad. :cry:

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:01 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
eskimo wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:

Your school is an exception. At most schools you get very few A+ grades. Even with that said, assuming about 120 credits or the equivalent the mathematical effect of an A+ is something like +.008 over the course of undergrad.
Eh, most of my friends go to state schools in my home state and have had a similar experience.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:00 pm

There is no accredited university where a mathematics degree is a "joke". About the only way a mathematics degree could be a joke, is if the professors didn't teach mathematics.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:07 pm

BruceWayne wrote:

There is no accredited university where a mathematics degree is a "joke". About the only way a mathematics degree could be a joke, is if the professors didn't teach mathematics.
It didn't say a degree, it said a department. Most people take 1 math class and don't get a degree in it.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:27 pm

Columbia

2010: 3.61 / 3.72 / 3.82, 170 / 172 / 175, 9012 apps (6.0% increase)
2009: 3.60 / 3.72 / 3.81, 170 / 172 / 175, 8505 apps

source

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:29 pm

With NYU now matching Columbia I'm hoping Chicago is now jonesing for 172s.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

2ofspades

Bronze

Post by 2ofspades » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:42 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
2ofspades wrote:
What? CLS is superior in NYC employment prospects ...
You're right. I think I read that on TLS. It must be true.
BruceWayne wrote:... and especially in national employment prospects.
Umm....
2ofspades wrote:
Unless you want to work at a NY law firm

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:25 pm

2ofspades wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
2ofspades wrote:
What? CLS is superior in NYC employment prospects ...
You're right. I think I read that on TLS. It must be true.

http://www.leiterrankings.com/jobs/2008job_biglaw.shtml
http://www.leiterrankings.com/jobs/2008job_biglaw.shtml
http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2443758843
http://lawfirmaddict.blogspot.com/2006/ ... ement.html

BruceWayne wrote:... and especially in national employment prospects.
Umm....
2ofspades wrote:
Unless you want to work at a NY law firm

ajmanyjah

Bronze

Post by ajmanyjah » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:45 pm

tkgrrett wrote:

Go and look up the difference in GPA between GW and Boalt... I know two old grades are gonna dock my GPA .04 or so....
Last edited by ajmanyjah on Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ajmanyjah

Bronze

Post by ajmanyjah » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:46 pm

St.Remy wrote:

This would be relevant if only people from California went to Stanford and Berkeley. But people from all over the country go to those schools, so it is quite clearly a preference on the part of the adcomms at Stanford and Berkeley and not some oddity derived from their applicant pool.
I'm gonna guess the West pulls from West more often....

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”