GPA calculating without plus or minus

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BlueFeathers

GPA calculating without plus or minus

Postby BlueFeathers » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:17 pm

My university grades on solid letters (A-F) and any W's, F's etc count against you. If you fail your credit is a 0.0 and it's added in. Retaking a class is recorded as having taken it once and GPA is adjusted. I've only retaken two classes.

So with how my school grades, am I in a good boat or bad boat when it comes to LSDAS GPA grading. I see people bummed about it dinging their grades but because I have no plus or minus that makes some difference right?

Can I still plug in my grades in that calculator link and get something close to accurate and just ignore the + and - and just put my grades in the solid letter slots?

Hannibal

Re: GPA calculating without plus or minus

Postby Hannibal » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:19 pm

Yeah just use the solid letter slots. As for your Ws, how do they show up on your transcript? Or are they Fs?
Last edited by Hannibal on Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:20 pm

For those two classes you retook, both the original and new grade will be counted by LSAC, so your GPA will go down a bit. Everything else should stay the same.

Postby 2014 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:28 pm

It's hard to say if you are in a good or bad boat. If you are a student who has more classes where they ended up with between an 87-89.9 than 90-92.9, then the scoring system hurts you because you would have gotten more bumps for your B+s than dings for your A-'s. If you are the opposite, with more low 90's than high 80's, then the system is good for you using the same logic. Same with C+/B-'s as well, but hopefully you don't have too many grades that low.

How does your school do the classes you retook? Do they erase the old one off of your transcript? Or are they both there but only the new one's grade is calculated? If it is the latter, your LSDAS GPA is going to be lower.

BlueFeathers

Postby BlueFeathers » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:11 pm

Both grades stay on my transcripts but the retake if higher, which they were is counted. How do they figure credit hours? I took 2 classes they were 2 credit hour classes.

I'm confused on the GPA calculator. The way I'm seeing it, all I'm doing is adding up how many As, Bs, Cs and clicking the button which doesn't seem right. What about that A in a class that was a 4 hour credit because of the lab? Or a 2 hour credit class? How does that figure in?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:50 am

BlueFeathers wrote:Both grades stay on my transcripts but the retake if higher, which they were is counted. How do they figure credit hours? I took 2 classes they were 2 credit hour classes.

I'm confused on the GPA calculator. The way I'm seeing it, all I'm doing is adding up how many As, Bs, Cs and clicking the button which doesn't seem right. What about that A in a class that was a 4 hour credit because of the lab? Or a 2 hour credit class? How does that figure in?

If you retook 2 classes that were 2 credit hours each, then you have a total of 8 credit hours to count (4 for the original grades and 4 for the retaken grades).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”