Apply this cycle, or wait a year.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mpasi

Apply this cycle, or wait a year.

Postby mpasi » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:30 am

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but here's a million and one.

I can't decide if I should rush and take the LSAT in December and apply with whatever score I get, or sit this one out, take the June '11 test, and apply for the 2011-2012 cycle. Some of you already know that I have a crappy GPA, so I have to do really well on the LSAT if I'm going to be seriously considered. Respective of that, waiting obviously makes more sense, but I'm really tired of waiting to apply, and my prospects outside of LS aren't that great for next year. Should I wait, or take my chances and hope something positive turns up? I'm hoping to put this to rest soon, so I'd appreciate any advice you guys can give. Thanks.

Hannibal

Re: Apply this cycle, or wait a year.

Postby Hannibal » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:47 am

You have plenty of time to work on your LSAT before December IMO. What do you want with your career?

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:00 am

You have time to prepare but I think waiting for your dec score won't maximize your chances. Waiting and applying early next cycle could pay off in the long run. You could apply then if you are not satisfied, reapply and retake if you want.
Personally, I would really focus on the LSAT for Dec, then do something fun after like teach abroad or something. That will make the time fly and give you something else to put in your application.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:01 am

How far along are you with getting everything together in terms of applications? (transcripts, LORs, PS topic or thoughts about it at least)?

Like Hannibal said, you have plenty of time from now till December to prepare for the LSAT. Why not prepare for it, take it, and see what happens from there? You definitely won't be rushing to take it in December if you start prepping now (or soon at least).

Edit to add: if you like your December LSAT score a lot you can try applying when you get it or else you can just wait until next year and apply early with that score. OR of course, retake.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is: take the LSAT in December and then make the decision. It's the most important part.

mpasi

Postby mpasi » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:14 am

Hannibal wrote:You have plenty of time to work on your LSAT before December IMO. What do you want with your career?

I'd like to work in the public sector, haven't decided on where exactly. Capitol Hill appeals because I've been there before as an intern, but I'm keeping an open mind.

LSpleaseee wrote:How far along are you with getting everything together in terms of applications? (transcripts, LORs, PS topic or thoughts about it at least)?

Like Hannibal said, you have plenty of time from now till December to prepare for the LSAT. Why not prepare for it, take it, and see what happens from there? You definitely won't be rushing to take it in December if you start prepping now (or soon at least).

Edit to add: if you like your December LSAT score a lot you can try applying when you get it or else you can just wait until next year and apply early with that score. OR of course, retake.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is: take the LSAT in December and then make the decision. It's the most important part.

I can start gathering transcripts in October, and ask for LORs by Thanksgiving, so all I'll need will be the LSAT score. The only thing about transcripts is that I won't be able to get all of them in until the semester ends in December. As for PS ideas, I don't know where to begin, lol. I guess I can start thinking about it this week. I just feel like I'm rushing because some people have had months and months of prep, and I'm just now starting.

Postby 2014 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:24 am

Honestly the application process is easy enough that if you get fee waivers or if you have a little bit of cash you don't mind sending to applications to see how you do, there is really no disadvantage to applying now. Even if you don't get in, your PS and LORs will still be good next year and you will have more softs probably.

I think you certainly have enough time to prepare for december though, you have 3 full months. A lot of people probably are just now starting to prep for the October one...

mpasi

Postby mpasi » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:55 am

Thanks. I'm trying to ignore the blog I came across that said three months is "barely enough."

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:13 pm

I can tell you first hand that I had the same dilemma. Ultimately I took the LSAT (9-2009) and regret it. I chose not to apply for the 2010, but rather, stay in college and extra semester, re-take classes I had C's in (yes the factor in both grades) and study for the 10-2010 LSAT. I have improved >6 points as of right now and am working to get +10. My GPA also went up (on LSDAS) about +.2

Do not take the test unless you are practicing at or even above a score that you are confident will gain you entry into your top (reasonable) schools. Otherwise you are settling for less than your potential.

On a side note, in this extra year I haven't found a job that pays well, nor has it been particularly productive (LS stuff aside) but the extra year has made me appreciate how much I reallllllly want to go to law school.

2ofspades

Postby 2ofspades » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:09 pm

2014 wrote:Honestly the application process is easy enough that if you get fee waivers or if you have a little bit of cash you don't mind sending to applications to see how you do, there is really no disadvantage to applying now. Even if you don't get in, your PS and LORs will still be good next year and you will have more softs probably.

I think you certainly have enough time to prepare for december though, you have 3 full months. A lot of people probably are just now starting to prep for the October one...

If it helps, this was about my strategy. I applied late in the cycle last year, so I applied only to my top-choice schools and decided I would reapply more broadly this cycle if I didn't get an offer. Some late applicants were accepted last year - I wasn't, but I did get a deferral at my first-choice school. It means I don't have to reapply, I have peace of mind, and I can do some preemptive networking this year. It was the perfect result for me.

My point ITT is that if you're not dead-set on entering in a particular year, then testing in December gives you a lot of options. You may get a great offer this year, you might get a deferral, you can reapply, you have time to retest for next cycle if need be - and if you're not comfortable with your PTs within the next couple of months, you can cancel your registration.

Note: If you take the December test and transmit your applications before your score is available, then your app would be complete at least a month before mine was last year.

Wannabelawyer101

Postby Wannabelawyer101 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:40 pm

I would personally wait until June to take the test, although you won't go wrong either way - you have plenty of time to prepare for the LSAT in December. Recruiting heats up in January, so you may be able to find a job for the next year during that time. If you're unable to find a job, if you can afford to do so, perhaps you can volunteer for the next year (or at least part time, while holding down any type of job to pay your bills). The volunteering could strengthen your app, you have plenty of time to prepare for the LSAT in June, and you can apply early in next year's cycle.

But again, that's just how I would see things - I think you'll be fine taking it in December too, because you could see how you do and hold off on applying until next year if you're not happy with your performance.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”