Couple of questions about CAS transcript summary... Help?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
firemed

Couple of questions about CAS transcript summary... Help?

Postby firemed » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:17 pm

So I checked my summary report today and I saw a couple of issues. I was wondering if you guys have any advice you could give me. Of course its Saturday, so I can't just ask them... and it is killing me that I have to wait until Monday to get any info, so I am posting here to see if any of you have had something like this happen before.

First: They didn't count my repeated classes (originally WFs) as non-punitive despite the fact that my UG institution doesn't consider them punitive. How receptive are they to changing that? If anyone has done it, how difficult is the process?

Secondly: They didn't seem to count my 96-97 grades on there, further lowering my overall GPA. Is this a rule of theirs or something, that they don't count years that are too old?

sknowl01

Re: Couple of questions about CAS transcript summary... Help?

Postby sknowl01 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:32 pm

firemedicprelaw wrote:
First: They didn't count my repeated classes (originally WFs) as non-punitive despite the fact that my UG institution doesn't consider them punitive. How receptive are they to changing that? If anyone has done it, how difficult is the process?

Secondly: They didn't seem to count my 96-97 grades on there, further lowering my overall GPA. Is this a rule of theirs or something, that they don't count years that are too old?

I had grades they counted from 1995, so I am not sure what the problem is there.

As far as the WF, I believe they have their own system to deal with that, but it would not hurt to call and find out.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:54 pm

firemedicprelaw wrote:So I checked my summary report today and I saw a couple of issues. I was wondering if you guys have any advice you could give me. Of course its Saturday, so I can't just ask them... and it is killing me that I have to wait until Monday to get any info, so I am posting here to see if any of you have had something like this happen before.

Re Q1: Not very. Somewhere in their policies they state that they'll sometimes count as punitive WF even if your UG does not.
Re Q2: No...sounds like something is off. That one is worth calling about.

firemed

Postby firemed » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:06 pm

So... after much checking it appears they counted my 96 grades with my 97-98 year grades.

On top of that much research indicates that while I might be able to get them to change the WFs... I probably won't. Looks like the way my institution marks the WFs that (despite them not being counted for GPA or counted for Earned hours on my transcript) LSAC will calculate them in anyway because on the legend included with the transcripts it states "All letter grades and WFs are calculated..." This is, of course, despite a notice before this that states the "E" next to my WFs means "Repeated course-- Excluded from GPA."

Yay.

Really wish I had withdrawn earlier in that semester and saved myself 16 credit hours of WFs. That plus another withdraw that I mistimed means 20 credit hours of WFs. To anyone reading who might someday have to drop out a semester, take heed and do it right. Or 10 years later you might find you are really, really, really, regretful.

So, anyway, I am stuck with a 3.05 overall GPA, which pretty much takes me totally out of the running for any of the T25, and realistically takes me out of the running for any T50 unless I get lucky and somehow score a 172+ on the LSAT. Which I certainly can't guarantee (considering I am scoring an average of 168 on my PTs right now).

Crap.

firemed

Postby firemed » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:23 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
Re Q2: No...sounds like something is off. That one is worth calling about.

I will... just to try to get them to separate it. Getting it to show a 3.5 my first year before that awesome 1.2 the next year would at least start out the adcomms scan a little more pleasantly.

Geez... if those 20 hours of WFs were to disappear you know what my GPA would be? Approximately 3.45. Enough that with a decent LSAT I could get into a T11-50 without wondering if I was wasting the application fee. Damn.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:30 pm

firemedicprelaw wrote:So, anyway, I am stuck with a 3.05 overall GPA, which pretty much takes me totally out of the running for any of the T25, and realistically takes me out of the running for any T50 unless I get lucky and somehow score a 172+ on the LSAT. Which I certainly can't guarantee (considering I am scoring an average of 168 on my PTs right now).

Crap.

Woah now, I wouldn't go that far. Get the best LSAT score you can and then we can assess your options.

firemed

Postby firemed » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:47 pm

beachbum wrote:
Woah now, I wouldn't go that far. Get the best LSAT score you can and then we can assess your options.

Yeah... we'll see. You are right that I am getting a little ahead of myself. It was just a shock, I think, to go in looking for a 3.15 (and hoping for a 3.25 with the WFs dropped) and find a 3.05. I think I panicked a little. Whoops.

In the next 5 weeks or so I hope to significantly improve my LG section, and with PTs I think my LR will go from a -3 average per section to hopefully a -2 average per. (Thank G-d... at least I am getting a -1 average on RC). On LG (thanks to the LG bible) I am already getting only a -6 average from my -10 three weeks ago. So if I can get that down to a -4 average by the time of the test it might be OK.

Thanks beachbum.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:58 pm

firemedicprelaw wrote:
beachbum wrote:

Yeah... we'll see. You are right that I am getting a little ahead of myself. It was just a shock, I think, to go in looking for a 3.15 (and hoping for a 3.25 with the WFs dropped) and find a 3.05. I think I panicked a little. Whoops.

In the next 5 weeks or so I hope to significantly improve my LG section, and with PTs I think my LR will go from a -3 average per section to hopefully a -2 average per. (Thank G-d... at least I am getting a -1 average on RC). On LG (thanks to the LG bible) I am already getting only a -6 average from my -10 three weeks ago. So if I can get that down to a -4 average by the time of the test it might be OK.

Thanks beachbum.

Since LGs are your worst section you could definitely improve past 170+ average. That's the fastest and easiest to improve on.

firemed

Postby firemed » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:09 pm

Hannibal wrote:
Since LGs are your worst section you could definitely improve past 170+ average. That's the fastest and easiest to improve on.

Kewl.

Needed to hear that.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:55 pm

Unfortunately, LSAC doesn't care if your UG treats WF as punitive or non-punitive. You can look up the official LSAC transcript policy for your school and it should say that WF is counted as F.

http://www.lsac.org/Members/TranscriptK ... earch.aspx

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:39 pm

Ouch. I guess you're just going to have to shoot for the typical splitter strategy.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”