Retaking the LSAT during your cycle Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JohnBoy

Bronze

Retaking the LSAT during your cycle

Post by JohnBoy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:48 pm

I'm curious to what people think about taking the test in December/February, after all your applications are in. I'm wondering if the new score can affect a waitlist status or scholarship offer. Are their any negative draw backs?

313D313

Bronze

Re: Retaking the LSAT during your cycle

Post by 313D313 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:04 pm

i am curious about this as well. I am considering doing this. Any thoughts??

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:06 pm

It has helped people get off WL's before. In general though if it is something you could do to get off a WL you would have been better served by retaking before submitting your apps.

313D313

Bronze

Post by 313D313 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:00 pm

what about taking it in october, applying and then taking it again in december?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:18 pm

i am interested in this information as well

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thesybarite

Bronze

Post by thesybarite » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:13 pm

It can't hurt your application. It's the dilemma between getting your app in as early as possible to increase chances with rolling admissions (I do think it makes a difference when you apply), or giving them a better first impression.

Would be good to hear from someone who's actually updated during their cycle with a new LSAT score.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:21 pm

I took in Sept. and retook in Dec. after some apps were in. IIRC, every school I applied to said it was their policy that they would withhold making a decision until after the second LSAT. So basically pending retake = no decision.

This doesn't mean that they won't look at your app, however, with the first score. In some cases, it was fairly obvious that they probably had looked at my first score, made a preliminary decision, and then sent out the acceptances that were coming to me after my retake score came back (ex. First score was 167; I got my UF, UGA, and Emory acceptances in the mail 1-2 weeks after second LSAT came in). Generally, you can write a school a note and tell them not to look at it, however (I did this for UVA).

When in doubt, however, call the individual schools and they will tell you what they do.

JohnBoy

Bronze

Post by JohnBoy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:09 pm

What if you didn't plan on retaking the test when you put your apps in. Then in December/February, after all your apps are in, you decided to retake. If it was higher, would schools consider you a stronger candidate if you were on the WL. If you were accepted, would you be able to grab more money from scholarships?

thesybarite

Bronze

Post by thesybarite » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:56 pm

JohnBoy wrote:What if you didn't plan on retaking the test when you put your apps in. Then in December/February, after all your apps are in, you decided to retake. If it was higher, would schools consider you a stronger candidate if you were on the WL. If you were accepted, would you be able to grab more money from scholarships?
This is a tactic I'm considering.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:06 pm

a higher LSAT score cannot possibly hurt you.

like anything else, you're assessing the risk/reward.

if you don't mind sitting on a waitlist at a school you would have previously been rejected to, it can't hurt.

what i don't understand is how people are influenced who already have good scores.

i have a score that is good enough for a t-20, but not t-10.

i want to hit t-15 or get $ from a t-25, but i know i can't be considered till my new lsat is in even though i'm already "good" enough.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”