disciplinary suspension

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

disciplinary suspension

Postby justadude55 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:03 pm

nnn
Last edited by justadude55 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

shoop
Posts: 327
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:52 pm

Re: disciplinary suspension

Postby shoop » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:35 pm

justadude55 wrote:hey, i'm applying to law school with an lsat ~170 and a gpa of >3.5 from a t-30 undergrad, but was suspended for a yr for violating a university conduct policy and submitting false evidence aimed at discrediting the other party.

am i sunk with all of the top schools? if i retake the lsat and surpass a 175, will i be able to get into a t-15? if i don't retake, where am i now?


There's really no way to know until you try, but I can tell you that a 3.5 GPA is below the 25th percentile for the VAST majority of the T14, and the 170 is median-at-best at most of the T14. LSP gives you straight "DENY" down to Penn, and only one "STRONG CONSIDER" (Cornell) in the top 14, and that's WITHOUT taking a serious academic/integrity offense into consideration. Especially if you are in undergrad or only a couple years out, I think you need to do one or more of the following: RETAKE, write a hell of an addendum about the conduct, get an outrageously good letter of recommendation, revise expectations downward. There are plenty of fine schools ranked 15-30.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: disciplinary suspension

Postby justadude55 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:15 am

shoop wrote:
justadude55 wrote:hey, i'm applying to law school with an lsat ~170 and a gpa of >3.5 from a t-30 undergrad, but was suspended for a yr for violating a university conduct policy and submitting false evidence aimed at discrediting the other party.

am i sunk with all of the top schools? if i retake the lsat and surpass a 175, will i be able to get into a t-15? if i don't retake, where am i now?


There's really no way to know until you try, but I can tell you that a 3.5 GPA is below the 25th percentile for the VAST majority of the T14, and the 170 is median-at-best at most of the T14. LSP gives you straight "DENY" down to Penn, and only one "STRONG CONSIDER" (Cornell) in the top 14, and that's WITHOUT taking a serious academic/integrity offense into consideration. Especially if you are in undergrad or only a couple years out, I think you need to do one or more of the following: RETAKE, write a hell of an addendum about the conduct, get an outrageously good letter of recommendation, revise expectations downward. There are plenty of fine schools ranked 15-30.


yes, are schools 15-30 possible as well, as well as a lot of money to schools 50-60? this is not a flame -- hoping for some realistic feedback, and info on where to apply to. i'd rather not go through 100 applications, because while i make too much to qualify for lsac's version of need, i am self sufficient at 24, paying for school and helping out my younger siblings financially.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: disciplinary suspension

Postby Cupidity » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:19 am

With your numbers, I would strongly encourage you to give serious consideration to the T-30. If you are lucky and make it into one of the T-14 great, but I would start planning lower. Your LSAT will enable you to get $$, and in this economy, a T-30 w/ half the debt isn't a bad option.

Consider GWU's full-ride guaranteed ED program, schools like BU, BC, UMinn, Notre Dame, and WUSTL. You are a splitter, and one of them will give you money. If T-14 is your major hope....ED to UVA or GULC, both are splitter receptive for ED.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: disciplinary suspension

Postby justadude55 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:54 pm

Cupidity wrote:With your numbers, I would strongly encourage you to give serious consideration to the T-30. If you are lucky and make it into one of the T-14 great, but I would start planning lower. Your LSAT will enable you to get $$, and in this economy, a T-30 w/ half the debt isn't a bad option.

Consider GWU's full-ride guaranteed ED program, schools like BU, BC, UMinn, Notre Dame, and WUSTL. You are a splitter, and one of them will give you money. If T-14 is your major hope....ED to UVA or GULC, both are splitter receptive for ED.


i read a post where a person with a record, but a 2.8 gpa and 162 lsat were denied admission to even tier 4 schools. my #'s are a significant notch better, but can i face similar circumstances?

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: disciplinary suspension

Postby justadude55 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:55 pm

justadude55 wrote:
Cupidity wrote:With your numbers, I would strongly encourage you to give serious consideration to the T-30. If you are lucky and make it into one of the T-14 great, but I would start planning lower. Your LSAT will enable you to get $$, and in this economy, a T-30 w/ half the debt isn't a bad option.

Consider GWU's full-ride guaranteed ED program, schools like BU, BC, UMinn, Notre Dame, and WUSTL. You are a splitter, and one of them will give you money. If T-14 is your major hope....ED to UVA or GULC, both are splitter receptive for ED.


i read a post where a person with a record, but a 2.8 gpa and 162 lsat were denied admission to even tier 4 schools. my #'s are a significant notch better, but can i face similar circumstance in that i'll get into a school, but one outside the top 50s?

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: disciplinary suspension

Postby merichard87 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:12 pm

Does ~170 and >3.5 actually mean a 168/9 and 3.3/4?

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5834
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: disciplinary suspension

Postby 2014 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:15 pm

Probably means he is taking LSAT in October and wants to know hypothetically if he gets a 170.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: disciplinary suspension

Postby rundoxierun » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:18 pm

justadude55 wrote:
Cupidity wrote:With your numbers, I would strongly encourage you to give serious consideration to the T-30. If you are lucky and make it into one of the T-14 great, but I would start planning lower. Your LSAT will enable you to get $$, and in this economy, a T-30 w/ half the debt isn't a bad option.

Consider GWU's full-ride guaranteed ED program, schools like BU, BC, UMinn, Notre Dame, and WUSTL. You are a splitter, and one of them will give you money. If T-14 is your major hope....ED to UVA or GULC, both are splitter receptive for ED.


i read a post where a person with a record, but a 2.8 gpa and 162 lsat were denied admission to even tier 4 schools. my #'s are a significant notch better, but can i face similar circumstances?


No, that person probably had multiple felonies or 3+ DUIs.

User avatar
2ofspades
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: disciplinary suspension

Postby 2ofspades » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:24 pm

merichard87 wrote:Does ~170 and >3.5 actually mean a 168/9 and 3.3/4?

Subject: 167 3.6 Early Applications

justadude55 wrote:Hey I have a 3.55 and 167 LSAT (only took once; even schools that say they take the higher sport admit to considering all scores so i think it's too risky to retake + im lazy... i got the 167 with minimal studying). i have pretty good LOR's, and in my opinion a strong personal statement (i used my personal statement to get me into a T-30 undergrad without the proper #'s as a white kid).

justadude55 wrote:hey, i'm applying to law school with an lsat ~170 and a gpa of >3.5 from a t-30 undergrad, but was suspended for a yr for violating a university conduct policy and submitting false evidence aimed at discrediting the other party.

... i am self sufficient at 24, paying for school and helping out my younger siblings financially.

justadude55 wrote:i'm in my late 20s, and a few years removed from college.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: disciplinary suspension

Postby justadude55 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:38 pm

gonna be retaking in october. i just finished a practice test with a 178 [p/t 51 with no experimental.] i had been doing loose sections 3x a week since i took it last december, and i guess i've picked up on some patterns over all those sections. this was my first practice test since last december.

i do work hard, and have school so i'm thinking just 1 p/t a week will be enough as i just need to stay stable. i was scoring 170-172 before my initial 167 so my logic is that a 178 will net me at least a 173.

also, i got 4 things wrong and 3 were in RC... where I am struggling with time (had to rush at the end). i finished the games in 25 minutes w a perfect score, the first LR right on time, and got one question #9 wrong because i misread something, and the second in 27 minutes with a perfect score. any tips on RC?

i wrote gpa of over 3.5 cause i don't know what my LSAT GPA is going to be. my transcript says 3.58, but my major GPA is a 3.9. it's an issue where i didn't take school very seriously (always studied the night before the test), but naturally excelled in my major.

with my 167 and 3.6, a great PS and strong LOR in addition to my hefty disciplinary baggage, is t-25 a realistic bet?
with a 173+ on my retake, and all else the same, is t-14 probable?

User avatar
2ofspades
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: disciplinary suspension

Postby 2ofspades » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:51 pm

If you have presented yourself accurately, then I don't think there is any way to predict your results. I think your cycle will depend entirely on how effectively you can persuade your readers to have confidence in you as a person. You have a record, and you are owning up to it. At the same time, you support your kid brother/sister. That shows character. Give yourself the best shot you can, apply broadly, and transmit your applications before your second score is available.

Also, I would suggest visiting the admissions offices of any nearby schools you are applying to wherever they allow you to see an admissions officer. Some schools will let you see someone on a walk-in basis, and some will even schedule appointments for applicants to visit.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: disciplinary suspension

Postby justadude55 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:02 pm

2ofspades wrote:If you have presented yourself accurately, then I don't think there is any way to predict your results. I think your cycle will depend entirely on how effectively you can persuade your readers to have confidence in you as a person. You have a record, and you are owning up to it. At the same time, you support your kid brother/sister. That shows character. Give yourself the best shot you can, apply broadly, and transmit your applications before your second score is available.

Also, I would suggest visiting the admissions offices of any nearby schools you are applying to wherever they allow you to see an admissions officer. Some schools will let you see someone on a walk-in basis, and some will even schedule appointments for applicants to visit.


*help support.

i make monthly payments to FIT. that's about it. 5k a yr. the rest she makes waitressing, and her government grants. i do contribute more than others my age, but i don't mean to come off like i'm mother thresa.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: disciplinary suspension

Postby justadude55 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:03 pm

2ofspades wrote:If you have presented yourself accurately, then I don't think there is any way to predict your results. I think your cycle will depend entirely on how effectively you can persuade your readers to have confidence in you as a person. You have a record, and you are owning up to it. At the same time, you support your kid brother/sister. That shows character. Give yourself the best shot you can, apply broadly, and transmit your applications before your second score is available.

Also, I would suggest visiting the admissions offices of any nearby schools you are applying to wherever they allow you to see an admissions officer. Some schools will let you see someone on a walk-in basis, and some will even schedule appointments for applicants to visit.


re: Admissions Officer -- so I take up this person's day by coming in, and telling them all my baggage? would this even be the same one who reads my app?

User avatar
2ofspades
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: disciplinary suspension

Postby 2ofspades » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:03 pm

justadude55 wrote:re: Admissions Officer -- so I take up this person's day by coming in, and telling them all my baggage?

No. If you can visit your top few choices, I would say you plan to visit and you would like to see an officer. If they see you, then I would say you wrote about a suspension and ask if you can provide any additional information, leave it, and then have a short, pleasant conversation by asking a few informed questions about the school. Visiting wouldn't affect decisions for most any applicant - but it can make a difference when a school can't decide whether to admit or deny based on soft factors. At least, that was my experience. It helps them understand you better as a person and is a demonstration of interest in the school.

justadude55 wrote:would this even be the same one who reads my app?

Who reads your application will vary by school, but the assistant directors (who are usually the officers that see applicants) have access to your file and work closely with the admissions dean. At schools that see visitors, they make notes in your file about what questions you asked and how you came across.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: disciplinary suspension

Postby justadude55 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:26 pm

2ofspades wrote:
justadude55 wrote:re: Admissions Officer -- so I take up this person's day by coming in, and telling them all my baggage?

No. If you can visit your top few choices, I would say you plan to visit and you would like to see an officer. If they see you, then I would say you wrote about a suspension and ask if you can provide any additional information, leave it, and then have a short, pleasant conversation by asking a few informed questions about the school. Visiting wouldn't affect decisions for most any applicant - but it can make a difference when a school can't decide whether to admit or deny based on soft factors. At least, that was my experience. It helps them understand you better as a person and is a demonstration of interest in the school.

justadude55 wrote:would this even be the same one who reads my app?

Who reads your application will vary by school, but the assistant directors (who are usually the officers that see applicants) have access to your file and work closely with the admissions dean. At schools that see visitors, they make notes in your file about what questions you asked and how you came across.


yeah. the schools im hoping to get into and have a realistic chance at based off my original #'s are usc and emory, and those are far from where i live.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: disciplinary suspension

Postby justadude55 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:58 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
justadude55 wrote:
Cupidity wrote:With your numbers, I would strongly encourage you to give serious consideration to the T-30. If you are lucky and make it into one of the T-14 great, but I would start planning lower. Your LSAT will enable you to get $$, and in this economy, a T-30 w/ half the debt isn't a bad option.

Consider GWU's full-ride guaranteed ED program, schools like BU, BC, UMinn, Notre Dame, and WUSTL. You are a splitter, and one of them will give you money. If T-14 is your major hope....ED to UVA or GULC, both are splitter receptive for ED.


i read a post where a person with a record, but a 2.8 gpa and 162 lsat were denied admission to even tier 4 schools. my #'s are a significant notch better, but can i face similar circumstances?


No, that person probably had multiple felonies or 3+ DUIs.


or lied about their stats.

but with my #'s, is it fair to say i'm definitely in A law school?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests