Juvenile Criminal History

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
buckyj420

Juvenile Criminal History

Postby buckyj420 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:44 am

So I called the county clerks office where i was arrested as a minor 14yrs ago, but they have no criminal record for me. All they had were traffic violations. These were all deferred judgments in juvenile court, has anyone else ran into this problem. What do I do now? Some of my apps want records of the disposition of the cases. Do you acknowledge a case that there is no record of (not even a case #), just tell them that the record is lost or what? I'm inclined to tell admissions about the offenses just to be on the safe side.

shoop

Re: Juvenile Criminal History

Postby shoop » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:37 pm

buckyj420 wrote:So I called the county clerks office where i was arrested as a minor 14yrs ago, but they have no criminal record for me. All they had were traffic violations. These were all deferred judgments in juvenile court, has anyone else ran into this problem. What do I do now? Some of my apps want records of the disposition of the cases. Do you acknowledge a case that there is no record of (not even a case #), just tell them that the record is lost or what? I'm inclined to tell admissions about the offenses just to be on the safe side.

Tailor your response to the wording of the app. If the app says "have you ever been convicted of any offense other than a minor traffic offense?" you can truthfully say something like:

"Per a _____, 2010 conversation with the ____ County Whatever Department, I am not considered to have been convicted or otherwise adjudicated in connection with my 1996 arrest and deferred judgment at the age of __. While paper records regarding the matter were destroyed on my ___th birthday per ___ state law and the wording of question ___ does not appear to require disclosure of arrests that do not result in conviction, I feel it is in the best interest of full disclosure to include this addendum so that my application is consistent with my later application for state bar character and fitness examination."

Every school I've asked a nitpicky question like this has responded along the lines of "it's not really what you did, but whether you're honest enough to disclose it." The reason they ask these questions is to weed out people who won't pass C&F so the school's bar admission rates don't suffer, so they'll probably respect a little cautious over-disclosure.

buckyj420

Re: Juvenile Criminal History

Postby buckyj420 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:52 pm

Thank you for the suggestion/wording. I tend to agree a couple bad months at the age of 16 shouldn't reflect to poorly on me now, however, not disclosing arrests certainly would. Also contacted The Municipal Court, Colorado Bureau of Investigations and the local police. I received reports stating no records are on file with any of them. Courts purged my records in 2003, police purged my records in 2007 so there really is no record. But I still am going to disclose just to be safe.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”