Why, Tulane, why?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
abitaman6363

Why, Tulane, why?

Postby abitaman6363 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:48 am

Why in the heck is Tulane requiring a "Why Tulane" essay?

PDaddy

Re: Why, Tulane, why?

Postby PDaddy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:07 am

abitaman6363 wrote:Why in the heck is Tulane requiring a "Why Tulane" essay?

Tulane has a heightened community-based focus these days. The Tulane adcom seeks to balance each class with a good portion of students who are interested in helping address the needs of poorer New Orleans citizens. This does not mean that everyone should write that they want to stay in New Orleans post-graduation, nor does it mean that wanting a corporate Law position in NY equals death. To the contrary, they want to maintain and grow their national reputation and hopefully rise up the rankings without gaming them.

The key for Tulane is "balance". They want a balanced class, and they want students who seek to develop balanced careers. This is what an adcom told me after I was admitted there. To get into Tulane, students have to show that they understand the complete picture: balancing the desire for money and prestige with the rewards of rebuilding communities and helping those who cannot help themselves.

Besides, most schools want a "Why" essay, even if they don't ask for one. How do you think students get off of waitlists during the summer? 1) New LSAT's, 2) New LOR's and 3) "Why" essays.

MPMP

Postby MPMP » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:09 pm

I just want to say that I like your username. And "Why" essays suck.

Case2L

Postby Case2L » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:45 pm

I don't think it is that uncommon. I had to write a "why Case" essay. Unless it's a total safety school, you should be writing customized personal statements anyway. Pick out something unique about Tulane (like their maritime or environmental specialties) and explain how it relates to your future plans.

abitaman6363

Postby abitaman6363 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:03 pm

MPMP wrote:

I just want to say that I like your username. And "Why" essays suck.

Thanks!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”