Applying as early as possible with October LSAT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
katie96

Applying as early as possible with October LSAT

Postby katie96 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:30 pm

My stats--English Literature major, current 3.36 LSDAS GPA, legal assistant at a PI/medmal law firm for two years, e-board of Pre-Law Society, Honors College, non-URM. I am getting great recommendations from two professors and my boss. Straight As for the past three semesters, so upward GPA trend. I will be writing a GPA addendum to explain poorer grades in my sophomore year (I've always had to work a lot during the week because, given certain circumstances, I am the main source of financial support for my family. As a result, it took me a while to get a good handle on juggling work and school).

I am a Florida resident, but the only Florida school I am applying to is UM. I really want to go to school in NYC for various reasons, so the other schools I am applying to are Fordham, Cardozo, and NYU (obviously a stretch, but you never know).

I have not taken the LSAT yet, so I am scheduled to take the October exam. I figure it is best to send in all other application materials as early as possible though, right? Is it true that schools do not even look at your application until it goes complete with your LSAT score?

I am really hoping for acceptance into Fordham, and I heard that they start looking at applications even without the LSAT score, and that it is really important to send everything EARLY, because they are much more likely to accept people with GPAs similar to mine.

Does anyone have thoughts on my chances for these schools? Assuming an LSAT score in the lower-mid 160s? Or thoughts on applying early with the October LSAT?

Thanks!

bk1

Re: Applying as early as possible with October LSAT

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:32 pm

They read them in the order they go complete (though they don't necessarily make decisions in that order) and of course do not look at them prior to them going complete. Earlier is better, so send in your materials so it goes complete the moment your LSAT arrives.

katie96

Postby katie96 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:36 pm

bk1 wrote:They read them in the order they go complete (though they don't necessarily make decisions in that order) and of course do not look at them prior to them going complete. Earlier is better, so send in your materials so it goes complete the moment your LSAT arrives.

Thanks, bk. Any thoughts on my stats for Fordham?

Postby 2014 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:37 pm

Study your rear off and if you can hit 166 or 167 LSAT you will be at/above their 75th and your chances of admission will go up significantly. Fortunately you are above their 25th GPA, so as long as you are above median LSAT I imagine you have more than a fighting chance to get in, but don't expect any $$$

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”