Splitter Question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Platinum

Splitter Question

Post by 2014 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:34 pm

Quick question.

As a splitter taking the LSAT for the first time in October, is submitting by Nov. 1 or whenever we get our scores going to be early enough? Additionally, do I start the applications earlier than that and wait for my LSAT to get in to simply finalize them, or should I get my score first before starting anything?

The thing is, as a splitter with a 3.3x GPA, I can apply to a number of schools in the t14 if I do well on the LSAT, but I hate to start an application at say NYU only to find out that I come in at a score that gives me no chance.

Thoughts?

Icculus

Silver

Re: Splitter Question

Post by Icculus » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:42 pm

If you haven't taken the LSAT yet, how do you know you're a splitter?

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:44 pm

2014 wrote:Quick question.

As a splitter taking the LSAT for the first time in October, is submitting by Nov. 1 or whenever we get our scores going to be early enough? Additionally, do I start the applications earlier than that and wait for my LSAT to get in to simply finalize them, or should I get my score first before starting anything?

The thing is, as a splitter with a 3.3x GPA, I can apply to a number of schools in the t14 if I do well on the LSAT, but I hate to start an application at say NYU only to find out that I come in at a score that gives me no chance.

Thoughts?
Mid november is still considered pretty early. In fact, it's still early enough for a lot of ED programs.

If you're concerned, you can apply before your score comes in only to have it completed on November 1. Though you also surrender your fee waivers.

You can start filling out apps right now.

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:47 pm

mjcaccio wrote:If you haven't taken the LSAT yet, how do you know you're a splitter?
I guess the proper title is really "Splitter Hopeful".

OP, this all depends on how you feel about the LSAT at this point. How long have you been studying for? How are you doing on practice tests? Do you suffer from test-day anxiety or benefit from test-day hyper-concentration? Have you taken the LSAT before?

If this is your first LSAT, schools won't even look your file until your score comes in.

If you are fairly confident that you won't score more than 4-5 points less than your PT average (which is reasonable to believe, I think, if you are studying and simulating conditions properly) then I would say go ahead and send those apps in if you're hitting >175 consistently. Start applications for a wide range of schools anyways - they don't take that long to fill out, and your PS doesn't need to be THAT school specific.

afa_brandon

New

Post by afa_brandon » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:51 pm

the benefit of applying early far outweighs the potential consequence of completing an application which might result in rejection. it's not like you have to pay just to fill out an application.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:52 pm

I have done exceptionally well enough on other standardized tests to comfortably say that test anxiety is not an issue and my practice LSATs are such that I can reasonably expect to be a t14 hopeful splitter even if I test 5 points lower on the day of.

Oct is the first time taking the LSAT by the way.

Appreciate the advice as well, looks like if I start on apps as soon as LSAT is over and submit some/am ready to hit submit the instant I get my score I'll be fine.

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:20 pm

Save for the 2-3 schools that seem to place an emphasis on supplemental essays, filling out the applications doesn't take very long at all. HYS + B are pretty much out of the question as a splitter, and of the 10 remaining schools, only M and P seem to really require any additional effort. If you can get those supplmental essays cranked out during your wait (assuming your PS and addenda are already good to go), you could start from scratch and still probably finish all 10 of the applications in a couple of hours.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”