Am I the only one getting nervous? Early apps in a week...!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TOMaHULK

Am I the only one getting nervous? Early apps in a week...!

Postby TOMaHULK » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:20 pm

I still need to write my PS. I'm not worried, as I know that if I sit down for a bit, it will all pour out.

I'm still debating as to whether or not, write an LSAT score addendum (took 3 times, 7 points increase). Advice on this?

Also, I've discovered that some of the schools I'm interested in, won't even begin accepting applications until Oct or Nov.

That being sad, September is less than a week away.

Thoughts guys/gals? :shock:

bk1

Re: Am I the only one getting nervous? Early apps in a week...!

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:28 pm

I'm nervous too. As a reapplicant I vividly remember checking my snail mail every day at 4pm right after it arrive. I hope I won't be doing that again but I probably will.

Same with statements, I don't want to write them but know once I sit down it will flow fairly easily.

Addendum, I had a 7 point jump in 2 tests for no other reason than I studied more. I am not going to write an addendum. If I were you I wouldn't either.

I'm excited and nervous overall, can I just send my apps in, hibernate, and wake up with my results on January 1, 2011?

Calla Lily

Postby Calla Lily » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:33 pm

Last edited by Calla Lily on Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:34 pm

Some schools begin accepting apps in August, I've already submitted two. But yes, I'm nervous.

Do you know what you're gonna write your PS on? 1 week doesn't seem like a whole lot of time...

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:35 pm

Calla Lily wrote:What about for schools that "strongly recommend" them or explicitly state that they require them? Are you just not going to submit anything or are you going to write something for the schools that require it, even though you don't have a specific reason?

I totally agree with the hibernating...I would love to skip the winter and the snow and wake up with all the admissions decisions rendered.

Disagree! Waiting isn't *that* bad. There's plenty of life to live in the interim.

Calla Lily

Postby Calla Lily » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:38 pm

True, but I just can't wait to actually go back to school...and I am not a big fan of snow shoveling.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:41 pm

Calla Lily wrote:What about for schools that "strongly recommend" an LSAT addendum for a significant jump or explicitly state that they require it? Are you just not going to submit anything or are you going to write something for the schools that require it, even though you don't have a specific reason?

Such as? I just looked through CLS, UChi, Cornell, Duke, and UPenn and the only one who mentioned it is UPenn and I think UPenn's was in reference to one of their optional essays.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:56 pm

Marionberry wrote:Some schools begin accepting apps in August, I've already submitted two. But yes, I'm nervous.

Do you know what you're gonna write your PS on? 1 week doesn't seem like a whole lot of time...

I'm conflicted between my personal struggles and overcoming them, or just talking about myself and work experience, etc.

I'm not really worried at all about the time. I think people really put way too much thought into PS's. I have several friends that are LS grads, and they all tell me they don't even remember what they wrote on their PS's.

So I'm not too concerned TBH.

Calla Lily

Postby Calla Lily » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:08 pm

bk1 wrote:Such as? I just looked through CLS, UChi, Cornell, Duke, and UPenn and the only one who mentioned it is UPenn and I think UPenn's was in reference to one of their optional essays.

I had thought that someone mentioned in a past thread that NYU required it, but I just checked their website and it says to write one if you had a specific consideration. I know Michigan has said that they want an explanation for a big jump, but it is not specifically required, just strongly suggested. Thank you for the info on those other schools!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:12 pm

Calla Lily wrote:
bk1 wrote:Such as? I just looked through CLS, UChi, Cornell, Duke, and UPenn and the only one who mentioned it is UPenn and I think UPenn's was in reference to one of their optional essays.

I had thought that someone mentioned in a past thread that NYU required it, but I just checked their website and it says to write one if you had a specific consideration. I know Michigan has said that they want an explanation for a big jump, but it is not specifically required, just strongly suggested. Thank you for the info on those other schools!

I think a lot of the info compiled on the internet is out of date considering that taking the highest LSAT and not averaging is a relatively recent development by the ABA and USNWR.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:49 pm

Well what would be considered a "BIG jump"?

7 points was hard for me to climb, but in comparrison to some jumps I've seen on here, it may be trivial.

Plus, as the above poster mentioned, all the schools I'm applying to take the most recent/highest (in my case the most recent is my highest anyways). :roll:

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:53 pm

From older statements by schools I've found 6 points or so to be a "big jump" (this is in relation to 1 test to the next, not over 3 of them). It seems that having taken the test will supposedly give the average person a 2 point bump regardless of whether they prep much more substantially the next time.

op-ti

Postby op-ti » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:07 pm

I a confused about writing an addendum also.

I would have taken he LSAT 3 times by December and am hoping for a bigger LSAT jump than 7 points.

Also, most of the T14 schools seem to have a "holistic" view vs. averaging (save for maybe Harvard) for the LSAT. And I think, majority of them do say that they will consider taking the higher score if an expiation is given.

Do I have it all wrong here?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:09 pm

Pretty much all of the T14 say they have a holistic view but they really do not, even in regards to multiple LSATs. I would expect the bottom half of the T14 to take the top score, it to be a tossup with CCN, and HYS to be HYS.

op-ti

Postby op-ti » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:12 pm

Columbia and NYU are the two I'm stuck on :? :cry:

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:15 pm

Whether they average or take the highest, I do not think an addendum saying "I just studied more, please ignore the ones I didn't prep for" is going to be helpful.

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:45 pm

+1 I don't think it would be necessary unless there were ACTUALLY some extenuating circumstances. I just hope schools don't think otherwise. I'm worried that if I don't write one, schools will think I just go lucky or something.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:58 pm

GettingReady2010 wrote:+1 I don't think it would be necessary unless there were ACTUALLY some extenuating circumstances. I just hope schools don't think otherwise. I'm worried that if I don't write one, schools will think I just go lucky or something.

what about something like my glasses falling apart right when i started the LSAT, which caused me to have to hold my lens with one hand while filling in the answer sheet?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:03 pm

merc280 wrote:
GettingReady2010 wrote:+1 I don't think it would be necessary unless there were ACTUALLY some extenuating circumstances. I just hope schools don't think otherwise. I'm worried that if I don't write one, schools will think I just go lucky or something.

what about something like my glasses falling apart right when i started the LSAT, which caused me to have to hold my lens with one hand while filling in the answer sheet?

This seems reasonable enough, though, to be fair, anybody can make up stories like these.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:07 pm

bk1 wrote:
merc280 wrote:

This seems reasonable enough, though, to be fair, anybody can make up stories like these.

yeah it was the worst day of my year though. Screw fell out right before I began the test.

Calla Lily

Postby Calla Lily » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:16 pm

I figure that admissions committees might wonder why you didn't cancel in that case. I am sure you may have had reasons not to cancel (thought you did better despite the scenario, time and money spent, etc.), but I don't think the ad coms really view those as valid.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:28 pm

Calla Lily wrote:I figure that admissions committees might wonder why you didn't cancel in that case. I am sure you may have had reasons not to cancel (thought you did better despite the scenario, time and money spent, etc.), but I don't think the ad coms really view those as valid.

would it hurt though if they see a 15 point jump? I kinda think the worst thing that can happen is they would say that isnt valid and put it aside. On the other hand if they see that point difference and they might wonder why there isn't an addendum attached.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:31 pm

I think you're overthinking it. They care about their numbers, they only need to report the top score. Do they really want to read that you didn't prepare enough the first time? I don't think they do, I think they will use your other statements to glean what they can and if nothing else seems amiss, they will just consider your top score.

I could be wrong, but intuitively, in a process that cares almost entirely on numbers, that's how I look at it.

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:33 pm

bk1 wrote:I think you're overthinking it. They care about their numbers, they only need to report the top score. Do they really want to read that you didn't prepare enough the first time? I don't think they do, I think they will use your other statements to glean what they can and if nothing else seems amiss, they will just consider your top score.

I could be wrong, but intuitively, in a process that cares almost entirely on numbers, that's how I look at it.

I've seen a couple of examples of people that did not write addendum at schools that seemed to suggest you write one (we encourage you to) and they still got in. I'm personally not writing one. I think if you don't have a great reason for your jump, better to have them wonder why (if they even care, I know Berkeley doesn't anymore and Northwestern doesn't either) then think you're someone who makes excuses.

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:45 pm

lakerfanimal wrote:
bk1 wrote:I think you're overthinking it. They care about their numbers, they only need to report the top score. Do they really want to read that you didn't prepare enough the first time? I don't think they do, I think they will use your other statements to glean what they can and if nothing else seems amiss, they will just consider your top score.

I've seen a couple of examples of people that did not write addendum at schools that seemed to suggest you write one (we encourage you to) and they still got in. I'm personally not writing one. I think if you don't have a great reason for your jump, better to have them wonder why (if they even care, I know Berkeley doesn't anymore and Northwestern doesn't either) then think you're someone who makes excuses.

This is what I was thinking to, but what do we know. We have no idea how adcomms think.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”