LSAT 75th percentile

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ScrabbleChamp

LSAT 75th percentile

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:41 am

With regard to schools outside the T20, does it matter how much above the 75th percentile for LSAT you are, assuming you are a splitter? Does being 6 points above the 75th percentile have a measurable difference over being 2 points over? Or, does it just matter that you are over the 75th percentile?

tallboone

Re: LSAT 75th percentile

Postby tallboone » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:55 am

Schools in or out of the top 20, doesn't matter. If you are above the 75th percentile at all, they get to report you to US News. Which is the whole point of the thing. Doesn't matter if you are 1 or 10 points over.

The same cannot be said for those who are under the 25th percentile, because elite schools want to keep all students competitive and are unlikely to admit someone with an LSAT score ten points below the 25th percentile, even though it would be reported to US News the same as if they had admitted someone who scored one point below the 25th.

Basically, it just matters if you are over (and you can expect that most schools will try to increase their percentiles every year, so you have to be over for that coming year, not the previous year.)

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:06 pm

This might be a math fail on my part but since the percentiles are calculated each year...if a certain number of people apply/are accepted with overall higher numbers, then doesn't that change the numbers? If a lot of people are 5 points over last yrs 75% then couldnt that change the numbers for next year (meaning it would be better to be 10 points over) rather than 4 (because then you might not end up being over 75%?

Sorry if that doesn't make any sense.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:22 pm

JJDancer wrote:This might be a math fail on my part but since the percentiles are calculated each year...if a certain number of people apply/are accepted with overall higher numbers, then doesn't that change the numbers? If a lot of people are 5 points over last yrs 75% then couldnt that change the numbers for next year (meaning it would be better to be 10 points over) rather than 4 (because then you might not end up being over 75%?

I understand what you are trying to say, but I think it is unlikely for a situation like that to occur. Assume there are 100 entering students. Essentially, the 75th percentile used in reporting will be the LSAT score of the 75th highest score. So, students 76-100 could score 180, and students 1-74 score 120, and the 75th percentile would still be the same as the previous year.

Having said that, it is possible for a school to move its 75th percentile 4 points, I just don't see it happening, as schools that can move up 4 points will most likely not enroll enough students that far above their 75th percentile to make a difference.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:26 pm

JJDancer wrote:This might be a math fail on my part but since the percentiles are calculated each year...if a certain number of people apply/are accepted with overall higher numbers, then doesn't that change the numbers? If a lot of people are 5 points over last yrs 75% then couldnt that change the numbers for next year (meaning it would be better to be 10 points over) rather than 4 (because then you might not end up being over 75%?

AdComms have been doing this for a while, they know how to get the numbers they want and if the dean tells them "I want us to have a 172 as our 75th" they can usually do it (assuming a T14 school that is already close to that number, Cooley would not be able to do this but if Berkeley wanted to bump their 75th it would be definitely possible).

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:50 pm

AdComms have been doing this for a while, they know how to get the numbers they want and if the dean tells them "I want us to have a 172 as our 75th" they can usually do it (assuming a T14 school that is already close to that number, Cooley would not be able to do this but if Berkeley wanted to bump their 75th it would be definitely possible).

Probably a dumb question, but, when AdComms report GPA/LSAT percentiles to USNWR, do they report numbers for enrolled students only, or all admitted students?

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:56 pm

matriculating

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”