Should I add an addendum? Should I take this class?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
perspective

Should I add an addendum? Should I take this class?

Postby perspective » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:46 am

I transferred to my current institution because I was offered a full scholarship. The scholarship was only good while I had less than XXX credits, so to graduate I could either take 5 classes a semester in 2 years or 3 classes a semester for 3. I choose the latter because I had graduated early from high school. Now applying to law schools I am concerned with how the admissions people will view this.

1) Should I add an addendum on why I went from 6 classes a semester at my first institution to 3 classes at my current one?

I elected to take 4 classes this semester. One of the classes is the second to last from my major: Econometrics. I haven't taken an Economics class in a long time and I am worried about my performance (I took Economic Statistics five semesters ago). I am concerned that law schools might request my Fall grades and that I might not do well in the class.

2) Should I instead take a class that would interest me and in which I would most likely excel, taking Econometrics in the Spring?

I don't want the Law Schools to view me as a lazy students. Let me know your thoughts.

Re: Should I add an addendum? Should I take this class?

Postby 2014 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:06 am

I can't really speak too much about whether you should write an addendum or not, but I imagine a brief one won't hurt. You explained it to us effectively in a paragraph and they probably don't want to read much more than that.

As for the class, I would personally save it for Spring. I'm an Economics major and am avoiding Econometrics like the plague. It is an extremely math and statistics oriented course, so unless you are extremely proficient in those, you probably are looking at an above average amount of time spent on that class at least.

perspective

Postby perspective » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:16 pm

I really feel that I would be best served by "avoiding it like the plague" also. One of the professors writing my letter of recommendation is teaching the class I would otherwise take; it sounds incredibly interesting and I would most likely get an A.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:22 pm

Don't write an addendum, they will not care.

perspective

Postby perspective » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:11 pm

bk1 wrote:Don't write an addendum, they will not care.

They will not care about my reasoning or they won't care about the light course load?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:01 pm

perspective wrote:
bk1 wrote:Don't write an addendum, they will not care.

They will not care about my reasoning or they won't care about the light course load?

Both.

perspective

Postby perspective » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:10 am

Thanks for your response.

What is the likelihood that they will request my Fall grades?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:04 pm

perspective wrote:Thanks for your response.

What is the likelihood that they will request my Fall grades?

Not sure, but I believe it to be unlikely. They will probably only ask for an updated transcript before matriculation.

Postby 2014 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:56 pm

If your fall grades up your LSAC though, regardless of how weak your schedule, you would be crazy not to send them something noting that.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”