letters of rec from bosses Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Pierced

New

letters of rec from bosses

Post by Pierced » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:10 pm

I'm getting a super amazing rec from a former professor I'm still close with, a letter from a former boss, and a letter from another person I work with, BUT none from the two guys I work directly under (because they're both kinda jerks). Do you think that would be a red flag considering I worked as an asst. directly under those two guys? Or is having 2 letters from other superiors at the company good enough?

Cromartie

Bronze

Re: letters of rec from bosses

Post by Cromartie » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:43 pm

Pierced wrote:I'm getting a super amazing rec from a former professor I'm still close with, a letter from a former boss, and a letter from another person I work with, BUT none from the two guys I work directly under (because they're both kinda jerks). Do you think that would be a red flag considering I worked as an asst. directly under those two guys? Or is having 2 letters from other superiors at the company good enough?
It wouldn't be a red flag. Not having any LOR's from anyone in your current company wouldn't be a red flag either. In a lot of cases, applicants who are working do not get LOR's from their current employer because they haven't told their employer about their plans to go to law school and do not wish to do so for obvious reasons.

d34d9823

Gold

Re: letters of rec from bosses

Post by d34d9823 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:46 pm

Cromartie wrote:
Pierced wrote:I'm getting a super amazing rec from a former professor I'm still close with, a letter from a former boss, and a letter from another person I work with, BUT none from the two guys I work directly under (because they're both kinda jerks). Do you think that would be a red flag considering I worked as an asst. directly under those two guys? Or is having 2 letters from other superiors at the company good enough?
It wouldn't be a red flag. Not having any LOR's from anyone in your current company wouldn't be a red flag either. In a lot of cases, applicants who are working do not get LOR's from their current employer because they haven't told their employer about their plans to go to law school and do not wish to do so for obvious reasons.
This.

Also, many companies have legal policies that prevent employees from giving more detail on a reference than whether you were employed and what dates you were employed. My old boss couldn't reference me for this reason.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”