How many law schools is too many?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
vanwinkle

Re: How many law schools is too many?

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:37 pm

I ended up doing 30, and I can tell you that a lot of that was wasted time, effort, and money. I really only needed to apply to maybe half of them at most. I just didn't know that at the time.

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:49 pm

I see from one of your other posts that you have a 168/2.6. With those stats you should get into a few in the 20-30 range (UMN, WUSTL, and UIUC come to mind) despite your GPA, assuming there are no other red flags in your app. If you do up your LSAT when you retake, which you mentioned you were planning, that could make it more complicated, but absent a new LSAT score, I suggest you apply to whatever schools in the 20-50 range you would attend. That's only thirty there, so unless there isn't a single school you would cut, you should be able to get your list down from thirty.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:12 am

I'm one of the bigger splitters I've seen on TLS. I want to go to the best school that I can get in to, with a bit of an eye towards value as defined subjectively and entirely by me. I still think 30 is overkill. I'm targeting somewhere in the 13-17 range. I don't need to apply to the entire T14 for example. I don't need to apply all the way down to the bottom of the T50 to every single school. I know which schools are even remotely likely to (a) admit and (b) give money to splitters. I will apply to those. Why apply to Berkeley if you have <3.0?

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:41 am

lt0826 wrote:
flyingpanda wrote:
Scholarship considerations for a splitter? Not that many schools are going to throw big money at splitters.

I have a hard time believing that someone would be happy or willing to work in that many areas.

I admit I applied to about 30 schools. I received 4 large scholarship offers ranging from half to full. I admit no scholarship money came from the t14. In fact I had only one acceptance from the t14 and a ton of waitlists. So if scholarship money is important the t14 might be a longshot and up to you whether to take the chance. Don't do what I did and apply in January though. I highly recommend following the advice to apply early and apply in October if possible.

Also I was on a bunch of t20 waitlists. I just chose not to ride them out in favor of accepting a scholarship offer. But if you are willing to pay sticker for t14 then ride out the waitlists and contact the schools frequently enough for them to know you are still interested but not so frequently that they think you are pest. April-June once a month should suffice. From mid-June or so after 2nd deposits are received then every couple if weeks make sense. UVa stressed to me they weigh expression of interest fairly high in removing people off the waitlist.

You're not really a splitter. Also, it's easy to use LSN to find out which schools are likely to throw you money and which are likely to give you very little to no money.

To OP: The reasons for not throwing out so many apps is basically the time and money involved. Those apps end up costing a fair chunk of change. If you're fine with that then go ahead. I can almost guarantee though that once your cycle is over you'll realize that you didn't have to apply to so many schools.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:52 am

flyingpanda wrote:
lt0826 wrote:
flyingpanda wrote:
Scholarship considerations for a splitter? Not that many schools are going to throw big money at splitters.

I have a hard time believing that someone would be happy or willing to work in that many areas.

I admit I applied to about 30 schools. I received 4 large scholarship offers ranging from half to full. I admit no scholarship money came from the t14. In fact I had only one acceptance from the t14 and a ton of waitlists. So if scholarship money is important the t14 might be a longshot and up to you whether to take the chance. Don't do what I did and apply in January though. I highly recommend following the advice to apply early and apply in October if possible.

Also I was on a bunch of t20 waitlists. I just chose not to ride them out in favor of accepting a scholarship offer. But if you are willing to pay sticker for t14 then ride out the waitlists and contact the schools frequently enough for them to know you are still interested but not so frequently that they think you are pest. April-June once a month should suffice. From mid-June or so after 2nd deposits are received then every couple if weeks make sense. UVa stressed to me they weigh expression of interest fairly high in removing people off the waitlist.

You're not really a splitter. Also, it's easy to use LSN to find out which schools are likely to throw you money and which are likely to give you very little to no money.

To OP: The reasons for not throwing out so many apps is basically the time and money involved. Those apps end up costing a fair chunk of change. If you're fine with that then go ahead. I can almost guarantee though that once your cycle is over you'll realize that you didn't have to apply to so many schools.

I think being a splitter depends on where you're applying. Like, all the schools I'm applying to, my LSAT score is at median (for my reaches) and at or well above 75% for all targets (even a reach or two) and some safeties. But my GPA is mostly below 25% for all the schools I'm applying to. Because of this, I consider myself a splitter.

wanderlust10

Postby wanderlust10 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:56 am

I think I agree with most of you, 30 is a bit excessive. There are many on the list I have that I could easily take off, but because I am such an extreme case for a splitter (2.6/high160s-70s) I thought perhaps it would be beneficial for me to apply to these schools (it isn't, just adding more work).
Also, Does anyone really know how often people get off the waitlists? I foresee myself being a victim of very many waitlists which will probably stress me out like crazy, anyway just wondering how often are people added to a class from waitlist, it obviously depends on the school but in general - does it happen a lot?

thanks for all the responses, I got my list down to like 25, still working ot keep it to 20, which I understand is still a lot.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:14 am

Many posters may be unaware of your stats as shared in an earlier post in a different thread. If you posted your actual stats, you may have received different responses. My understanding from your earlier post in a different thread is that you have a 2.6 GPA & a 168 LSAT score. This may be quite different than applying with a 2.6 GPA & an LSAT in the low 170's, which would be sure to attract several top 50 law schools.
Try using lawschoolpredictor.com with different LSAT scores and you are likely to see very different results for a 2.6 GPA with a 170 LSAT than for the same GPA with a 168 LSAT. My point is that if you are limiting yourself to Top 50 law schools & you have a 168 LSAT, then you need to apply to as many beyond the Top 20 as reasonable in your situation. And that may be 30 schools or it may be less, but 30 is not unreasonable with your numbers if you want to attend a top 50 law school.

wonkymonkey

Postby wonkymonkey » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:23 pm

I think 30 is too much regardless of what your numbers are. You should only apply to a school if you can see yourself going there. Would you be happy at each of the schools you are applying to if you got in there and no where else? If there are some schools that you won't go to regardless of it you get in, don't apply there. It's a waste of your time and money.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:27 pm

This thread is silly. If you want to apply to 30, 60, or 100 schools, do it. If not, don't. The more you apply to, the more it will cost in both dollars and time, but you'll expand your chances. You knew all this before you posted this thread, didn't you??

I'm sure you can bust out a calculator to determine how much it will cost in application fees.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:32 pm

Burger in a can wrote:This thread is silly. If you want to apply to 30, 60, or 100 schools, do it. If not, don't. The more you apply to, the more it will cost in both dollars and time, but you'll expand your chances. You knew all this before you posted this thread, didn't you??

I'm sure you can bust out a calculator to determine how much it will cost in application fees.

Basically this. If you feel like you are applying to too many, TLS could help you trim. Do you need to apply to 30? Definitely not, even the most extreme of splitters could probably be fine with 15-20. However, if you don't mind the time and money, I say it is worth it for your own peace of mind.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:34 pm

wonkymonkey wrote:I think 30 is too much regardless of what your numbers are. You should only apply to a school if you can see yourself going there. Would you be happy at each of the schools you are applying to if you got in there and no where else? If there are some schools that you won't go to regardless of it you get in, don't apply there. It's a waste of your time and money.

Not true. For scholarship negotiation, applying to the peer schools of your target school may be well worth your while.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:41 pm

bk1 wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:This thread is silly. If you want to apply to 30, 60, or 100 schools, do it. If not, don't. The more you apply to, the more it will cost in both dollars and time, but you'll expand your chances. You knew all this before you posted this thread, didn't you??

Basically this. If you feel like you are applying to too many, TLS could help you trim. Do you need to apply to 30? Definitely not, even the most extreme of splitters could probably be fine with 15-20. However, if you don't mind the time and money, I say it is worth it for your own peace of mind.

+1. I didn't mean to bash the OP for asking an innocent question. I was actually more amused by the passionate debates this question seems to have generated.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”