Stumped on personal statement idea need some help

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jarofsoup

Stumped on personal statement idea need some help

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:54 pm

Hello I need some help developing a personal statement.

My ideas are as follows and I would love some feedback:
-Unemployed:
found an internship at a non profit which spawned interest in public service.

Started paralegal classes which taught provided me a practicle sense of the legal profession.

conclusion- I think I can positively contribute to the community that x law school is part of and I have a practicle sense of what it is to be a lawyer.

-College experience:

I wrote for my college newspaper my final semester of college and had to learn an entire trade and write a huge amount of articles in ten weeks. I was one of the only people in the news paper to do this and I had a cover story.

My goal is to study administrative law, but I dont know if it is neccessary to be flagrant about this in a personal statement.

wanderlust10

Re: Stumped on personal statement idea need some help

Postby wanderlust10 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:57 pm

i sort of like the idea about the newspaper. if you can highlight the intensity of the matter and describe a certain article i think that could be really interesting.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:05 pm

Basically I wrote articles like academic papers, which my editor ripped to pieces and I had to spend hours rewriting them. I was shy during interviews, but got over this.

It was hard but it was fun journalism is kinda grind. you just have to go go go.

I was told at a media law seminar that journalist are like lawyers-they tell stories. I want to incorporate this idea into a ps.

wanderlust10

Postby wanderlust10 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:23 pm

I think you should definitely work with that, seems like you have a good idea of what to focus on as well. Write more than one PS..you'll be fine.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”