computer science or computer science & engineering?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
arklogic

computer science or computer science & engineering?

Postby arklogic » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:03 pm

Hey, so I am a rising junior in UG, and I have to make a difficult choice about my major. I can major in either CS or CSE. Both are in the engineering department, and the coursework is similar (with CSE majors taking a fair amount of EE classes instead of more CS electives). I am going to apply to law school in the 2011-2012 cycle, and wanted some advice on what effects the major will have on admissions and more importantly, a career in IP law.

My main concern is that EE classes are much more difficult and graded on a more stringent curve, and my GPA would inevitably dip (lets say hypothetically a 3.65 -> 3.5). I'm not really a fan of EE either, but it is definitely practical in some areas of CS. I've also read that in the world of IP law, EE is in much more heavy demand than CS, and logically, a CSE degree would be more versatile, right?

My intuition says that this will make 0 difference in law school admissions. But is the dip in GPA and probable handicap in admissions worth the versatility of the degree in the long run?

Any advice is appreciated!

im_blue

Re: computer science or computer science & engineering?

Postby im_blue » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:27 am

If your goal is IP law, why not just major in EE?

arklogic

Postby arklogic » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:35 am

im_blue wrote:If your goal is IP law, why not just major in EE?

Well first of all, I didn't decide on IP law until recently. It's too late to change. Plus, CS is more interesting and fun than EE to me.

yellowjacket2012

Postby yellowjacket2012 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:18 am

do EE.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:05 pm

I don't think firms are going to parse the difference. CSE will actually prepare you to work in the field better, but I am willing to bet the interviewer (many of whom at full service firms are not engineers) will see the CS at the beginning and just lump you in with the CS majors. Which would be bad, as the CS majors are in a lot lower demand.

If you can switch majors to EE, do it. If not, I don't really know which you should pick. In either case, I highly suggest getting a job in industry for two or three years before going to law school. I went straight through and I would not recommend it. Work experience doesn't matter so much for law school, but it does for getting hired after law school-especially if you are trying to do IP with anything that is not EE.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”