GW Medians Released

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
mi-chan17
Posts: 428
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:55 am

GW Medians Released

Postby mi-chan17 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:38 am

They're up on the GW Law website (--LinkRemoved--)

Medians, Class of 2013:
GPA - 3.79
LSAT - 167

User avatar
jtemp320
Posts: 481
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: GW Medians Released

Postby jtemp320 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:32 pm

Whoa -

Boalt - 3.80, 167
GW - 3.79...167

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: GW Medians Released

Postby flyingpanda » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:39 pm

jtemp320 wrote:Whoa -

Boalt - 3.80, 167
GW - 3.79...167


Gdubs takes splitters, Boalt doesn't. So in terms of admissions chances, this is a little deceptive.

User avatar
jtemp320
Posts: 481
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: GW Medians Released

Postby jtemp320 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:43 pm

flyingpanda wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:Whoa -

Boalt - 3.80, 167
GW - 3.79...167


Gdubs takes splitters, Boalt doesn't. So in terms of admissions chances, this is a little deceptive.


True - I just think this is surprising/revealing about how deceptive medians can be...either that or something crazy just happened w/ 2010 classes at these two schools (I'd say the former...)

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: GW Medians Released

Postby flyingpanda » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:48 pm

jtemp320 wrote:
flyingpanda wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:Whoa -

Boalt - 3.80, 167
GW - 3.79...167


Gdubs takes splitters, Boalt doesn't. So in terms of admissions chances, this is a little deceptive.


True - I just think this is surprising/revealing about how deceptive medians can be...either that or something crazy just happened w/ 2010 classes at these two schools (I'd say the former...)


Yeah it's definitely the former. It's fun to look at the LSN graphs and look at how all this plays out, or at least it was when I was applying. Now I just don't care.

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: GW Medians Released

Postby d34d9823 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:48 pm

jtemp320 wrote:True - I just think this is surprising/revealing about how deceptive medians can be...either that or something crazy just happened w/ 2010 classes at these two schools (I'd say the former...)

It's more indicative of how screwed up Boalt's admissions philosophy is. GW's numbers are good for their rank, but Boalt's are fucking terrible for theirs.

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: GW Medians Released

Postby flyingpanda » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:51 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:True - I just think this is surprising/revealing about how deceptive medians can be...either that or something crazy just happened w/ 2010 classes at these two schools (I'd say the former...)

It's more indicative of how screwed up Boalt's admissions philosophy is. GW's numbers are good for their rank, but Boalt's are fucking terrible for theirs.


Actually I kind of respect and appreciate the different admissions philosophies. Some schools try to get balanced GPA/LSAT apps (Mich, Berkeley) and some schools go for the high medians (UVA, GW). It makes it easier for people to find schools that are good fits in terms of numbers.

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: GW Medians Released

Postby d34d9823 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:55 pm

flyingpanda wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:True - I just think this is surprising/revealing about how deceptive medians can be...either that or something crazy just happened w/ 2010 classes at these two schools (I'd say the former...)

It's more indicative of how screwed up Boalt's admissions philosophy is. GW's numbers are good for their rank, but Boalt's are fucking terrible for theirs.


Actually I kind of respect and appreciate the different admissions philosophies. Some schools try to get balanced GPA/LSAT apps (Mich, Berkeley) and some schools go for the high medians (UVA, GW). It makes it easier for people to find schools that are good fits in terms of numbers.

It's one thing to have a philosophy, it's another to have a class that is far inferior to that of your peer schools because of your wacky admissions policy. (Take a look at the medians, Boalt doesn't edge MVP by much in GPA and gets destroyed in LSAT)

User avatar
jtemp320
Posts: 481
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: GW Medians Released

Postby jtemp320 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:59 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
flyingpanda wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:True - I just think this is surprising/revealing about how deceptive medians can be...either that or something crazy just happened w/ 2010 classes at these two schools (I'd say the former...)

It's more indicative of how screwed up Boalt's admissions philosophy is. GW's numbers are good for their rank, but Boalt's are fucking terrible for theirs.


Actually I kind of respect and appreciate the different admissions philosophies. Some schools try to get balanced GPA/LSAT apps (Mich, Berkeley) and some schools go for the high medians (UVA, GW). It makes it easier for people to find schools that are good fits in terms of numbers.

It's one thing to have a philosophy, it's another to have a class that is far inferior to that of your peer schools because of your wacky admissions policy. (Take a look at the medians, Boalt doesn't edge MVP by much in GPA and gets destroyed in LSAT)


Hey, as someone at Boalt's LSAT median and a little above their GPA median I love what Boalt is doing with their admissions philosophy. I mean come on the LSAT is one day of your life - sometimes people cant sleep the night before and misdiagram a LG. Lets think about GPA, lets think about softs...who are the indivduals that make up a class?

Unless I do better on my October retake in which case "WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?" 8)

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: GW Medians Released

Postby im_blue » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:55 am

jtemp320 wrote:Whoa -

Boalt - 3.80, 167
GW - 3.79...167

The fact that UCLA has medians of 3.77/168 is even more embarrassing for Boalt, since there's significant overlap in their applicant pools.

thisguy456
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:42 am

Re: GW Medians Released

Postby thisguy456 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:24 am

im_blue wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:Whoa -

Boalt - 3.80, 167
GW - 3.79...167

The fact that UCLA has medians of 3.77/168 is even more embarrassing for Boalt, since there's significant overlap in their applicant pools.


Boalt rejects a ton of people with both numbers above their medians. I'm sure they aren't feeling too embarrassed by it (whether it's smart or not is a different subject).

User avatar
maroonzoon
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:38 pm

Re: GW Medians Released

Postby maroonzoon » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:35 am

I've met people from Boalt, some of whom are my friends. They have people way above their medians and way below. But everyone is passionate, and the ones with low medians have some amazing personal stories and character. It's not all about the numbers! And frankly if it was, and all schools did exactly the same thing, these forums wouldn't need to exist. There would just be one master guide to it all.

cavalierHoo
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:59 pm

Re: GW Medians Released

Postby cavalierHoo » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:52 pm

I wonder if GW will continue to rise in the rankings from those medians.

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: GW Medians Released

Postby d34d9823 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:58 pm

cavalierHoo wrote:I wonder if GW will continue to rise in the rankings from those medians.

Medians everywhere are up due to last year's exceptionally large volume of applicants. Hard to tell at this point if GW's increase represents a trend beyond that trend or not.

User avatar
2ofspades
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: GW Medians Released

Postby 2ofspades » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:42 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
cavalierHoo wrote:I wonder if GW will continue to rise in the rankings from those medians.

Medians everywhere are up due to last year's exceptionally large volume of applicants. Hard to tell at this point if GW's increase represents a trend beyond that trend or not.

It doesn't - the reason why GW rose in the rankings last year is unrelated. A couple years ago, US News started including part-time matriculants in the LSAT/GPA medians used to calculate rankings, which bumped down schools like GW and Fordham with big PT programs. Last year, GW moved most of their PT seats to the full-time program to bring their medians and ranking back up. Now they're pretty stable - last year's medians were 3.77 /167, and this year's are 3.79 /167.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: GW Medians Released

Postby justadude55 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:47 pm

im not a math guy, but i don't get how the medians at these schools are so much higher than the gap between the 25th and 75th. i know they're not taking the mean, but isn't the 25th, the 25th of the median? it seems like the median is right at all their 75th percentiles.

rapstar
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: GW Medians Released

Postby rapstar » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:54 pm

is there a general thread for new c/o 2013 medians?
If not, someone should start one.
i just started UGA. i know our medians are the same as last year at 3.7/164. The 25th and 75th lsat are up to 162-166 though.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: GW Medians Released

Postby rayiner » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:00 pm

justadude55 wrote:im not a math guy, but i don't get how the medians at these schools are so much higher than the gap between the 25th and 75th. i know they're not taking the mean, but isn't the 25th, the 25th of the median? it seems like the median is right at all their 75th percentiles.


The median is not related to the 25 and 75, other than it obviously has to be between them.

Consider: 160, 163, 163, 166, 167, 167, 168, 168, 168, 168.

The 25th is 163, median is 167, 75th is 168.

How do you get a distribution like this? You accept really high LSATs, and the ones who can't get in anywhere better come to your school. It gets really hard for these schools to recruit say 169s and 170s with decent GPAs because those are approaching T14 numbers. But most of the 168s and 167s accept because you're their best offer. There is a long tail below the median because the "highest LSAT" pressure doesn't exist there. So you accept a broad smattering of people with high GPAs and interesting backgrounds, and get a bigger spread of LSATs as a result.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: GW Medians Released

Postby justadude55 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:31 pm

rayiner wrote:
justadude55 wrote:im not a math guy, but i don't get how the medians at these schools are so much higher than the gap between the 25th and 75th. i know they're not taking the mean, but isn't the 25th, the 25th of the median? it seems like the median is right at all their 75th percentiles.


The median is not related to the 25 and 75, other than it obviously has to be between them.

Consider: 160, 163, 163, 166, 167, 167, 168, 168, 168, 168.

The 25th is 163, median is 167, 75th is 168.

How do you get a distribution like this? You accept really high LSATs, and the ones who can't get in anywhere better come to your school. It gets really hard for these schools to recruit say 169s and 170s with decent GPAs because those are approaching T14 numbers. But most of the 168s and 167s accept because you're their best offer. There is a long tail below the median because the "highest LSAT" pressure doesn't exist there. So you accept a broad smattering of people with high GPAs and interesting backgrounds, and get a bigger spread of LSATs as a result.


is there a website that lists all the law schools' medians?

also, if you're above the 75th percentile LSAT and your GPA is decent, is it fair to say you're in regardless of college disciplinary sanctions pending you didn't murder/rape anyone?

User avatar
2ofspades
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: GW Medians Released

Postby 2ofspades » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:35 pm

Kudos to rayiner, and I'll note that that was TCR to...
d34dluk3 wrote:It's one thing to have a philosophy, it's another to have a class that is far inferior to that of your peer schools because of your wacky admissions policy.

Whereas matriculants at GW tend to be at or just above median for one number but relatively low in the other, other schools implement a more holistic approach and prefer a class full of applicants who excelled in both LSAT and GPA. Compare GW to BU:

http://gw.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/
GW generally accepts people who exceed the LSAT median and many 161+ who exceed the GPA median. Applicants who are near or above both medians tend to go to higher ranked schools, so GW's class is made up generally of splitters.

http://bu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/
BU likes to admit applicants who have excelled in both GPA and LSAT. This results in 50/75 marks that are slightly lower and a 25 mark that is slightly higher - but while the higher medians give GW the advantage in US News, neither of those facts necessarily makes one class stronger than the other.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: GW Medians Released

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:42 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:a trend beyond that trend


Image

User avatar
mi-chan17
Posts: 428
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:55 am

Re: GW Medians Released

Postby mi-chan17 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:18 pm

More specific info on the class of 2013/2014 is up:

http://www.law.gwu.edu/Admissions/JD/Pages/Profile.aspx

Someone who wants to put the effort in can pull the 25/75 from it, but I'm tired from class today so that someone won't be me. ;)

zILch
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:04 pm

Re: GW Medians Released

Postby zILch » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:22 pm

ooOOOoo

Illinois' medians are identical to Boalt's. 3.8 / 167

User avatar
St.Remy
Posts: 526
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:12 pm

Re: GW Medians Released

Postby St.Remy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:39 pm

mi-chan17 wrote:More specific info on the class of 2013/2014 is up:

http://www.law.gwu.edu/Admissions/JD/Pages/Profile.aspx

Someone who wants to put the effort in can pull the 25/75 from it, but I'm tired from class today so that someone won't be me. ;)


Nice to see a school that rarely yield protects. Just too bad it isn't in the t14. Also because these are all admitted applicants and not attending applicants it isn't possible to pull the 25th and 75th for this year's class out of this set of data.

User avatar
mi-chan17
Posts: 428
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:55 am

Re: GW Medians Released

Postby mi-chan17 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:42 pm

St.Remy wrote:Nice to see a school that rarely yield protects. Just too bad it isn't in the t14. Also because these are all admitted applicants and not attending applicants it isn't possible to pull the 25th and 75th for this year's class out of this set of data.


Ah, good catch. Told you I was tired. :)




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests