Arrest Addendum - Please critique

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
beatrock

Arrest Addendum - Please critique

Postby beatrock » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:32 am

On xxxx, I was arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol and underage possession of alcohol in xxxx. Stopped as a safety precaution for a tree in the roadway, I was asked by the officer to step out of my vehicle due to his detection of the smell of alcohol. Believing myself to be under the legal limit, I admitted to having a few drinks several hours ago. This prompted a breathalyzer test which yielded a reading of .05 BAC, above the legal limit of .02 for individuals under the age of 21. I displayed poor judgment that night and recognize the severity of my actions. Ultimately, the DUI charge was dismissed and I plead guilty to reckless driving and underage possession of alcohol. Since then, I have completed a risk reduction course and am in the process of completing 90 hours of community service, participating in a forum on the impact of drunk driving, and abiding by the requirements of my 12 month probationary period and 6 month license suspension. I hope to demonstrate responsibility for my actions and assurance that this was and will remain an isolated incident. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns regarding this matter.

Dany

Re: Arrest Addendum - Please critique

Postby Dany » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:35 am

Change "ago" to "prior" - other than that, I like it. It is short, to the point, and accepts responsibility.

Oh, and add a comma after "dismissed."

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:07 am

Plead should be pled.

Looks good overall - succinct and to the point.

afcanoe

Postby afcanoe » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:15 am

I like it, too. (And I agree with eskimo's suggestions.)

One thing - the tense/wording in the second to last sentence is a little awkward. I might change, "I hope to demonstrate responsibility for my actions and assurance that this was and will remain an isolated incident." to something like "I accept responsibility for what was and will remain an isolated incident."

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:54 am

afcanoe wrote:I like it, too. (And I agree with eskimo's suggestions.)

One thing - the tense/wording in the second to last sentence is a little awkward. I might change, "I hope to demonstrate responsibility for my actions and assurance that this was and will remain an isolated incident." to something like "I accept responsibility for what was and will remain an isolated incident."

I was going to mention something about that sentence but forgot. I agree with afcanoe, the verbs were a little off before and the sentence was kind of convoluted, so I'd change it to that simpler version!

GoBroncos22!

Postby GoBroncos22! » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:07 am

This sounds very good. I too must write an arresst addendum and have been looking for a good one to base mine off of, and this looks to be it. All of mine were either to long or way to short, I couldnt find that perfect "feeling" in the addenum.

beatrock

Postby beatrock » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:12 pm

Thank you all for the advice. Best of luck on your cycles.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”