LSAC GPA OR College GPA on RESUME? (POLL)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

LSAC GPA OR College GPA on RESUME?

LSAC GPA
26%
College GPA
74%

Total votes: 31

GettingReady2010

LSAC GPA OR College GPA on RESUME? (POLL)

Postby GettingReady2010 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:58 pm

?

Hannibal

Re: LSAC GPA OR College GPA on RESUME? (POLL)

Postby Hannibal » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:01 am

I'm going to put my degree GPA because it's higher.

Also if you went to two UG institutions you kind of have to put a GPA for both right?

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:01 am

GettingReady2010 wrote:?

Specify, imo. Leaving it to assumption is always risky.

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:03 am

Hannibal wrote:I'm going to put my degree GPA because it's higher.

Also if you went to two UG institutions you kind of have to put a GPA for both right?

I was wondering the same thing. It seems disingenuous to only include the degree granting GPA if it's higher than the other.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:05 am

GettingReady2010 wrote:

I was wondering the same thing. It seems disingenuous to only include the degree granting GPA if it's higher than the other.

I was thinking if I DIDN'T put GPA for my original UG it might be like "why did he not disclose this?"

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:07 am

Hannibal wrote:I was thinking if I DIDN'T put GPA for my original UG it might be like "why did he not disclose this?"

When applying to law school they get your transcripts and often a section on the app asking you your GPA, why would they care whether or not it is in your resume or which one is on there?

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:07 am

Hannibal wrote:
GettingReady2010 wrote:

I was thinking if I DIDN'T put GPA for my original UG it might be like "why did he not disclose this?"

Well I'm not even putting my other university on my resume, because I don't think it's necessary. The problem I run into is that my GPA from degree granting university is higher than the one from my former college. If I only include the former, I'm concerned that adcomms (after looking at my transcripts) will think I was not being forthcoming.

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:09 am

bk1 wrote:
Hannibal wrote:I was thinking if I DIDN'T put GPA for my original UG it might be like "why did he not disclose this?"

When applying to law school they get your transcripts
and often a section on the app asking you your GPA, why would they care whether or not it is in your resume or which one is on there?

Yes, but they might think that you are being underhanded by conveniently putting one GPA (the much better one) while omitting the other (the much worse one).

Think about it this way - What if you took two years at one college and got a 2.0. For the next two years, however, you got a 4.0 at a completely different university. Wouldn't it be sketchy to put 4.0 on your resume? I mean that is your graduate GPA, no? I think it probably would.
Last edited by GettingReady2010 on Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:13 am

GettingReady2010 wrote:
bk1 wrote:

and often a section on the app asking you your GPA, why would they care whether or not it is in your resume or which one is on there?

Yes, but they might think that you are being underhanded by conveniently putting one GPA (the much better one) while omitting the other (the much worse one).

Depends who and what you're applying to:

That might get you the job.

The last thing I'd want is a salesperson that can't make lead look like gold.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:20 am

GettingReady2010 wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Think about it this way - What if you took two years at one college and got a 2.0. For the next two years, however, you got a 4.0 at a completely different university. Wouldn't it be sketchy to put 4.0 on your resume? I mean that is your graduate GPA, no? I think it probably would.

They're not going to care. I doubt they even do anything more than skim over or even possibly ignore the GPA on your resume in favor of what LSDAS says.

Kafka

Postby Kafka » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:42 am

You guys are neurotic.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:42 am

Kafka wrote:You guys are neurotic.

Welcome to TLS.

Kafka

Postby Kafka » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:43 am

I see future gunners and strivers in this thread.

Strive till I die!

firemed

Postby firemed » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:19 pm

I had two thoughts:

1) Why even include previous colleges on a resume if you didn't get a degree? Why would they care... and if they did care I noticed that most apps have a spot requiring you to list your GPA from every school you attended.

2) Isn't the point of a resume to make you look good? Isn't that the point, to cover what you have done right over the past few years? I mean, it's not like you put "Unemployed 2001-2002" on there. You just leave that out because it doesn't look good.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:22 pm

firemedicprelaw wrote:I had two thoughts:

1) Why even include previous colleges on a resume if you didn't get a degree? Why would they care... and if they did care I noticed that most apps have a spot requiring you to list your GPA from every school you attended.

If you did extracurriculars in your first college. Otherwise where would you put it?

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:17 pm

1) Why even include previous colleges on a [b]resume if you didn't get a degree? [/b] Why would they care... and if they did care I noticed that most apps have a spot requiring you to list your GPA from every school you attended.

2) Isn't the point of a resume to make you look good? Isn't that the point, to cover what you have done right over the past few years? I mean, it's not like you put "Unemployed 2001-2002" on there. You just leave that out because it doesn't look good.

The reason people, including myself, are concerned is that their GPA from the first school they attended was not good, so it could be perceived as misleading adcomms by only including a GPA (the one from your degree granting college) that is not truly indicative of your overall performance over the past four years.

An example I mentioned in another thread - Suppose you go to a school for two years, get a 2.0, and then transfer to a different school. At your new school you get a 4.0 for the next two years. Now you want to write on your resume that you graduated summa with a 4.0? Isn't that underhanded? Technically, you have a 3.0, but because your school doesn't accept grades from other schools, you got to come in with a clean slate.

firemed

Postby firemed » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:38 am

GettingReady2010 wrote:

1) Why even include previous colleges on a [b]resume if you didn't get a degree? [/b] Why would they care... and if they did care I noticed that most apps have a spot requiring you to list your GPA from every school you attended.

The reason people, including myself, are concerned is that their GPA from the first school they attended was not good, so it could be perceived as misleading adcomms by only including a GPA (the one from your degree granting college) that is not truly indicative of your overall performance over the past four years.

An example I mentioned in another thread - Suppose you go to a school for two years, get a 2.0, and then transfer to a different school. At your new school you get a 4.0 for the next two years. Now you want to write on your resume that you graduated summa with a 4.0? Isn't that underhanded? Technically, you have a 3.0, but because your school doesn't accept grades from other schools, you got to come in with a clean slate.

Yeah... but I'll be honest here. I am not that ashamed of my GPA at previous institutions... but if I put my first institution down then I have to highlight the fact that I went there on an off for 11 years and got a 3.1. I feel it makes me look bad. I have to include the fact that I did that for my LSAC GPA and on my application to the school. Why highlight it again so that the point gets totally driven home?

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:15 am

I see where your coming from, but the truth is we have no idea how it will be perceived. For that reason alone, I'm going to omit any GPA from my resume. As you said yourself, they already have your LSAC GPA, your transcripts, and your application. So I guess I don't see why it would be essential in the first place to put your GPA on your resume. It's kind of redundant. The only problem that I can see is that it may be customary for applicants to include their GPA on their resume. Even so, while ommitting your GPA may not be considered an absolutely "thorough" law school resume, I'd rather have the piece of mind of knowing that I'm not offending an adcomms sensibilities.

Truthfully, though, I'm a VERY detailed person who tends to over-think things. It probably would not matter either way.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”