On your resume, do you put your GPA according to...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Helicio

On your resume, do you put your GPA according to...

Postby Helicio » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:14 pm

...your undergrad. institution, or according to LSAC?

This could advantage some people and disadvantage others, so just wondering.

MrKappus

Re: On your resume, do you put your GPA according to...

Postby MrKappus » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:16 pm

If you put an LSAC GPA on your resume that's higher than your actual GPA, you sure as hell better label it "LSAC GPA." Otherwise, you are lying on an app. Not good.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:29 pm

MrKappus wrote:If you put an LSAC GPA on your resume that's higher than your actual GPA, you sure as hell better label it "LSAC GPA." Otherwise, you are lying on an app. Not good.

How would it be lying? LSAC GPA is a legitimate cumulative GPA.

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:53 pm

I always thought that you were supposed to put your LSAC GPA.

kazu

Postby kazu » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:55 pm

If it's for law schools apps, I'd think LSAC GPA would be right.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:55 pm

Hannibal wrote:
MrKappus wrote:If you put an LSAC GPA on your resume that's higher than your actual GPA, you sure as hell better label it "LSAC GPA." Otherwise, you are lying on an app. Not good.

Yes, but usually when you put a GPA on a resume it's placed near the degree granted, and without noting that you were putting a GPA that was cumulative across all attended institutions, it would create the false appearance that you had earned that GPA at your degree-granting school.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:54 am

vanwinkle wrote:
Hannibal wrote:

Yes, but usually when you put a GPA on a resume it's placed near the degree granted, and without noting that you were putting a GPA that was cumulative across all attended institutions, it would create the false appearance that you had earned that GPA at your degree-granting school.

As per usual, vw's answer is quite correct. That said, basic common sense should tell you that it would be both deceptive and inappropriate to place an LSAC GPA, which was not calculated by your UG, next to a UG on your resume. Whether it's deceptive isn't even vaguely open to debate.

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:57 am

MrKappus wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Hannibal wrote:

As per usual, vw's answer is quite correct. That said, basic common sense should tell you that it would be both deceptive and inappropriate to place an LSAC GPA, which was not calculated by your UG, next to a UG on your resume. Whether it's deceptive isn't even vaguely open to debate.

Depends if it's higher or not.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:58 am

If you put it next to a UG institution, yes it would be deceptive. But if you used it as a general GPA for your academic career (say if you attended two or more institutions), it would be legit IMO.

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:02 am

Hannibal wrote:If you put it next to a UG institution, yes it would be deceptive. But if you used it as a general GPA for your academic career (say if you attended two or more institutions), it would be legit IMO.

But you wouldn't put both schools on your resume in the first place, right? It's unnecessary.

It seems like this is a lose/lose situation - If you put your LSAC GPA, it's deceptive, but if you put your graduating college GPA it's deceptive if it's higher than the GPA from your former college.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:03 am

GettingReady2010 wrote:
Hannibal wrote:If you put it next to a UG institution, yes it would be deceptive. But if you used it as a general GPA for your academic career (say if you attended two or more institutions), it would be legit IMO.

But you wouldn't put both schools on your resume in the first place, right? It's unnecessary.

It seems like this is a lose/lose situation - If you put your LSAC GPA, it's deceptive, but if you put your graduating college GPA it's deceptive if it's higher than the GPA from your former college.

Eh, I plan on putting both schools.

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:11 am

Hannibal wrote:
GettingReady2010 wrote:

Eh, I plan on putting both schools.

Was your GPA at your first school significantly worse? If it is, I think that this might give the impression that the school you transferred to is significantly easier (which may or may not be true). I realize this is already in your transcripts, but it might draw a lot of unwanted attention.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:18 am

It was .12 worse. Even if it was significantly worse, I think it would read as an upward trend in grades rather than a downgrade in institution.

thomas85

Postby thomas85 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:36 am

MrKappus wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Hannibal wrote:

Don't get freaked out about it. Use an asterisk and a footnote. Be clear and make sure to disclose which ever GPA you decided not to use. Nobody is going to care anyways if there is a one or two point difference, just as long as it looks like you are being honest. Good Luck!

Postby 2014 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:26 am

My degree granting is .15 worse than my LSAC. I put LSAC on my resume but list both schools. I'll be sure to note that it is a cumulative GPA too. I've spoken with professional resume designers though who have specifically noted that as long as you properly weight your GPA for all schools attended, that it is perfectly legitimate to have a cumulative GPA for your college career.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:35 am

Voice of dissent here: Why even put it on your resume? I mean, they already have the LSAC GPA, which is the only one that matters, as a stat in their file?

Always of the opinion with resumes that if it doesn't add anything, take it off. And in this case, it may cause confusion.

Just my $.02

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:03 am

TommyK wrote:Voice of dissent here: Why even put it on your resume? I mean, they already have the LSAC GPA, which is the only one that matters, as a stat in their file?

Always of the opinion with resumes that if it doesn't add anything, take it off. And in this case, it may cause confusion.

Just my $.02

This is what I was thinking too.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:40 am

TommyK wrote:Voice of dissent here: Why even put it on your resume? I mean, they already have the LSAC GPA, which is the only one that matters, as a stat in their file?

Just my $.02

I think I'd agree with this. The only time it'd make sense to put it on your resume is if your degree-granting GPA was far higher than your overall LSAC GPA, to kind of highlight that you ended on a high note... but we're not talking about that here at all.

Putting a GPA on your resume that'll 1) cause confusion and 2) not look stunningly good is not a great idea.

czelede

Postby czelede » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:07 am

What about if you took summer classes at a community college? I only took two, but they provided a 0.05 point bump to my GPA. My degree granting institution actually calculates these classes into my university GPA. I've always listed my GPA with these classes inclusive, since according to undergraduate records that was my graduating GPA, but when I sent it to LSAC it calculated them separately.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:13 am

czelede wrote:What about if you took summer classes at a community college? I only took two, but they provided a 0.05 point bump to my GPA. My degree granting institution actually calculates these classes into my university GPA. I've always listed my GPA with these classes inclusive, since according to undergraduate records that was my graduating GPA, but when I sent it to LSAC it calculated them separately.

That's fine. Your school is responsible for how they choose to calculate GPA. Whatever the cumulative GPA on your transcript is - put that.

firemed

Postby firemed » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:22 am

So.... what is the consensus here?

My graduating institution GPA was 4.0, and I was planning on including that. However my overall GPA is going to be something like 3.2 per LSAC. Should I include that, and if so where on my resume? I was planning to leave off my first two undergrad institutions and only include my graduating institution.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:25 am

firemedicprelaw wrote:So.... what is the consensus here?

My graduating institution GPA was 4.0, and I was planning on including that. However my overall GPA is going to be something like 3.2 per LSAC. Should I include that, and if so where on my resume? I was planning to leave off my first two undergrad institutions and only include my graduating institution.

I would include your graduating GPA (assuming your school didn't count transfer credits - you need the official cumulative GPA from your transcript) directly adjacent to your degree so that it's clear that it refers to that school. Your LSAC GPA is not needed - they already have it. That highlights your upward GPA trend without being confusing.

firemed

Postby firemed » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:28 am

d34dluk3 wrote:I would include your graduating GPA (assuming your school didn't count transfer credits - you need the official cumulative GPA from your transcript) directly adjacent to your degree so that it's clear that it refers to that school. Your LSAC GPA is not needed - they already have it. That highlights your upward GPA trend without being confusing.

Thanks! :)

Helicio

Postby Helicio » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:40 am

Cool. I think I'm just going to leave my GPA off my resume and let LSAC take care of it.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:37 pm

Helicio wrote:Cool. I think I'm just going to leave my GPA off my resume and let LSAC take care of it.

This is what I did, especially because I'd rather not keep reminding them of something they already know that I would rather they not know (my GPA as a splitter).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”