LSAT retake advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lzyovrachievr

LSAT retake advice

Postby lzyovrachievr » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:49 pm

This is really kind of a judgment call, and I wanted other opinions.

I took the LSAT in October '09, and got a 165. That's only 1 point higher than my diagnostic, which I blamed on the fact that I kept taking new practice tests, without really studying why I was getting questions wrong.

So I retook it in June '10 and got a 170. This time I did a lot better by studying the question types-- but I was preptesting at 173-176 when I took the test, and I think I can score higher. I was nervous about the whole "LSAT decides whether you can get $120,000 from schools in scholarships" thing.

My application is reasonably strong, but it's the LSAT, so... My question is: retake?

I think I can score higher, and I plan to apply to a lot of T14s. Is it worth it to do it? Will schools see it as bad judgment to take it 3 times? I'm kind of thinking I might as well; I could get paid more as an LSAT tutor that way anyway. Opinions please!

whymeohgodno

Re: LSAT retake advice

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:51 pm

If you are confident you can score higher, then yes it can't hurt you.

Just don't mess up the 3rd time around and do worse than 170.

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:01 pm

Heh. Thanks. It's been a while since I've scored below 170 when taking it, but I'll be extra careful.

Thanks for the input. :)

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:39 am

Some schools in the T-14 say they average or at least pay a lot of attention to all scores so assuming you have 165, 170, 174 - you're avg would be a 169.9 . That being said a 174 (even with 2 other, lower scores) is going to get you a) more money and b) acceptances in at least SOME of the T-14.

2ofspades

Postby 2ofspades » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:05 am

You should compare the pros and cons of your choice. HYS, Columbia, and NYU all average scores, and so for each of those schools you would need to do well enough to offset your original scores, which does not seem likely. Chicago takes the highest score, and a 172+ would improve your odds there. Beyond that, at MVPB, I think you have an excellent shot with your 170, and if you don't get in, I don't think your numbers would be the reason why. DNCG will love you. That said, there's a downside to retesting - at some top schools, even though they take the highest score, getting another 16X would cast doubt on your 170.

So I think the main benefit here in terms of admission is an improved shot at Chicago, and that may be worth it to you. Otherwise, if you're really mainly concerned about money, I would think you could simply get some acceptances in hand first, retest in February, and then, assuming your score does go up, ask for merit aid.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:32 am

2ofspades wrote:You should compare the pros and cons of your choice. HYS, Columbia, and NYU all average scores, and so for each of those schools you would need to do well enough to offset your original scores, which does not seem likely. Chicago takes the highest score, and a 172+ would improve your odds there. Beyond that, at MVPB, I think you have an excellent shot with your 170, and if you don't get in, I don't think your numbers would be the reason why. DNCG will love you. That said, there's a downside to retesting - at some top schools, even though they take the highest score, getting another 16X would cast doubt on your 170.

So I think the main benefit here in terms of admission is an improved shot at Chicago, and that may be worth it to you. Otherwise, if you're really mainly concerned about money, I would think you could simply get some acceptances in hand first, retest in February, and then, assuming your score does go up, ask for merit aid.

NYU and Colubia do not average. Columbia has never (since aba changed the rules) claimed to average. And if you look up data on NYU, they also do not average (just look up the guy who claimed to have taken the lsat seven times and still got into nyu). As for HYS, there is not enough data regarding their decisions to make any solid claims as to whether or not they average. They also have not claimed to average, but have stated they look at all parts of your application. So personally I think none of your advice applies.

kazu

Postby kazu » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:10 am

CastleRock wrote:
2ofspades wrote:You should compare the pros and cons of your choice. HYS, Columbia, and NYU all average scores, and so for each of those schools you would need to do well enough to offset your original scores, which does not seem likely. Chicago takes the highest score, and a 172+ would improve your odds there. Beyond that, at MVPB, I think you have an excellent shot with your 170, and if you don't get in, I don't think your numbers would be the reason why. DNCG will love you. That said, there's a downside to retesting - at some top schools, even though they take the highest score, getting another 16X would cast doubt on your 170.

NYU and Colubia do not average. Columbia has never (since aba changed the rules) claimed to average. And if you look up data on NYU, they also do not average (just look up the guy who claimed to have taken the lsat seven times and still got into nyu). As for HYS, there is not enough data regarding their decisions to make any solid claims as to whether or not they average. They also have not claimed to average, but have stated they look at all parts of your application. So personally I think none of your advice applies.

Yeah.. I think it's important to note that "we average LSAT scores" =/= "we consider all of your multiple LSAT scores, not just the highest". I interpret this more to be a "If there's a 165/175 and a plain 175, we'll probably like the plain 175 better, but otherwise it depends" kind of statement than "165/175 = 170."

OP, it's really up to you but if you feel like you can raise your score at least 2~3 points I'd say go for it. My retake was in a similar situation - PM me if you want more advice :)

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:01 am

Thanks for all this.

I think I am going to retake in October, and just work on being very zen before the test so I do as well as I can. Of course, now this means I get to do LSAT prep... again...

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:05 am

Asking whether you should retake on TLS is analagous to asking a vendor whether you should buy their merchandise. Retake is the panacea of TLS, with its capacity of serving the betterment of mankind believed to be directly proportional with the sheer amount of iterations of advice offered in its favor.

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:12 am

Yea, I've been on this site for about a year and a half, using it as a procrastination method though rarely posting.

It's a good thing what I really wanted was a validation of the idea that I should take the test again. However, that said, I appreciate knowing the possible consequences of it as well- as some posters pointed out.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”