Let's try this again...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
oshberg28

Let's try this again...

Postby oshberg28 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:32 pm

I'm filling out the "Common Application Form" on LSAC. It asks for the GPA from each of the schools I attended. I attended 3 undergraduate schools (2 years at one, summer courses at another, then the final 2 at another). For the "Undergraduate Degree-granting Institution", which GPA do I insert? Just the GPA for the 2 years at this school (LSAC Degree GPA), or my LSAC cumulative GPA? I'm assuming just the GPA for the 2 years from my degree-granting institution.

Similarly, in the "Transcripts" section of LSAC, it asks for the "Bachelor's Degree Cumulative GPA" (I can insert "3.50 to 3.74" or "3.75 and up"). My LSAC cumulative GPA is 3.84; my "LSAC Degree GPA" is 3.68 (GPA just for the 2 years from my degree-granting institution). Which one do I use? (based on the below response, I assume "3.75 and up", but it's not explicitly clear, IMO, that they are asking for my cumulative GPA and not my "degree GPA"; the wording by LSAC is a little vague). Thoughts? This may be painfully obvious to some, but I'm paranoid and don't want to sell myself short if I insert the wrong GPA.

I e-mailed these questions to LSAC, and this was their response:

"If you received your bachelor’s degree at xxx, you would insert the LSAC degree GPA, not the cumulative GPA

If you are being asked for the LSAC cumulative GPA rather than the GPA from just your bachelor’s degree-granting school, you would answer 3.75 and up."

Columbia Law

Re: Let's try this again...

Postby Columbia Law » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:35 pm

That part matters very very little. Put whatever the f you want.

oshberg28

Postby oshberg28 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:41 pm

Columbia Law wrote:That part matters very very little. Put whatever the f you want.

Ah, I didn't think it mattered either, since all schools would presumably just see the LSAC cumulative GPA...but I don't know what exactly they're seeing from their end. I assume they simply receive my LSAC Academic Report - all the info. is there.

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:40 pm

oshberg28 wrote:I'm filling out the "Common Application Form" on LSAC. It asks for the GPA from each of the schools I attended. I attended 3 undergraduate schools (2 years at one, summer courses at another, then the final 2 at another). For the "Undergraduate Degree-granting Institution", which GPA do I insert? Just the GPA for the 2 years at this school (LSAC Degree GPA), or my LSAC cumulative GPA? I'm assuming just the GPA for the 2 years from my degree-granting institution.

Similarly, in the "Transcripts" section of LSAC, it asks for the "Bachelor's Degree Cumulative GPA" (I can insert "3.50 to 3.74" or "3.75 and up"). My LSAC cumulative GPA is 3.84; my "LSAC Degree GPA" is 3.68 (GPA just for the 2 years from my degree-granting institution). Which one do I use? (based on the below response, I assume "3.75 and up", but it's not explicitly clear, IMO, that they are asking for my cumulative GPA and not my "degree GPA"; the wording by LSAC is a little vague). Thoughts? This may be painfully obvious to some, but I'm paranoid and don't want to sell myself short if I insert the wrong GPA.

I e-mailed these questions to LSAC, and this was their response:

"If you received your bachelor’s degree at xxx, you would insert the LSAC degree GPA, not the cumulative GPA

If you are being asked for the LSAC cumulative GPA rather than the GPA from just your bachelor’s degree-granting school, you would answer 3.75 and up."

For Undergraduate Degree Granting Institute, put the GPA you received at the school you received your BA/BS from.

For the second question, I would put 3.75 as well.

This is from the Common App bit, so hopefully the schools themselves will have clearer apps. They don't actually see anything you put on the Common App. Just what transfers from that onto their app.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”