A couple of Resume questions... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Pleasye

Platinum

Re: A couple of Resume questions...

Post by Pleasye » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:31 am

Hannibal wrote:Does anyone know if the "nothing from high school" thing applies to skills? I played violin for five years and stopped playing in college for the most part.
I don't know but I would say it wouldn't apply...it's not like you don't have this skill anymore, you could still play a violin if you wanted to.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:00 am

Okay, in my opinion the "Nothing From High School" Rule works like this: if it's something you happened to do on the side, that you could still do now, it might be fine.* If it's high school related (i.e. anything to do with school, clubs, sports, awards, community service, etc.) cut it out as soon as you get to college. An instrument is kind of a lifelong thing, and doesn't actually relate to your high school, so I think it's fine. Now, if you played french horn in the band, I might leave that off.

I haven't taken piano lessons since high school, but I took for about 10 years and still play at events occasionally, so I would include it on my resume (if I had room, the only reason I don't is for lack of space.)

*You will always want to get opinions just in case.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:05 am

IMO "nothing from high school" means "nothing stupid from high school." The problem is, people remember their high school days fondly and seem incapable of separating good from stupid.

If you have any of the following:
- national level athletic achievements
- national level academic achievements
- significant artistic accolades (i.e. you played at Carnegie)
- published writing or research
you absolutely should include it.

In your case, I would include it if you are still proficient. I played piano pretty seriously in high school, but I haven't played regularly since I graduated. I leave it off because you need to be able to answer questions about your resume and "yeah, well I used to do that" is super lame.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:09 am

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:36 am

LSpleaseee wrote:
sgtgrumbles wrote:Would you guys PM me your resumes, too? I have a professional one, I'm just wondering how much I ought to change it for LS apps.
I'm sure someone will send you one! (I'm the clueless OP and not done with mine yet or I would offer mine)
Eh, someone, please? Heavily redacted is fine. I just want to compare my current professional resume to a law school one. Thanks a lot.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:59 am

sgtgrumbles wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:
sgtgrumbles wrote:Would you guys PM me your resumes, too? I have a professional one, I'm just wondering how much I ought to change it for LS apps.
I'm sure someone will send you one! (I'm the clueless OP and not done with mine yet or I would offer mine)
Eh, someone, please? Heavily redacted is fine. I just want to compare my current professional resume to a law school one. Thanks a lot.
You need to find someone with actual work experience and ask. Comparing to someone who's still in undergrad won't be helpful because the resumes will (and should) be completely different. It's a completely different type of applicant. Maybe d34nmoeklrmvp535nov4uke d34dluk3 or Para can help out?

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:21 am

eskimo wrote:You need to find someone with actual work experience and ask. Comparing to someone who's still in undergrad won't be helpful because the resumes will (and should) be completely different. It's a completely different type of applicant. Maybe d34nmoeklrmvp535nov4uke d34dluk3 or Para can help out?
I haven't done mine for law school yet, sorry :(

It's really just about refocusing though. Professional resumes have detailed work experience, needed office and technology skills, etc. My law school resume will cut back on project details and focus on how work experience developed my maturity and leadership skills. I'll also ditch "Word, Excel, etc." for more activities that flesh out how interesting and cool I am.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”