A couple of Resume questions...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Pleasye

A couple of Resume questions...

Postby Pleasye » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:21 pm

1. Would anyone be willing to PM me a resume (with any personal info you don't want me to see redacted) so I can just see an example?

I know there is an article on resumes but it isn't very thorough and the template has literally EVERYTHING removed..it's really tripping me up.

2. The resume article template has things such as:
-key courses
-Class rank
-Graduating class median (don't even know where to find this...)

Are those things really helpful to have on there (especially key courses, what does this even mean?)

here's the link to the article: http://www.top-law-schools.com/law-school-resume.html

Pleasye

Re: A couple of Resume questions...

Postby Pleasye » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:52 pm

bump? :(

DreamLaw

Postby DreamLaw » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:06 pm

I would like an example of a resume as well, seeing the format would help me so much

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:16 pm

There's a resume example/template on this site if you haven't found it yet.

Postby 4102011 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:17 pm

The Harvard Application Components section (http://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective/ ... urces.html) has a few examples. I don't know if that's what other people's looks like.

Mine doesn't have anything about class rank/median/key courses/any of that. On my academic summary report that LSAC did, it has whatever percentile/median GPA my school has, so I figure if the schools really care about that stuff then they can find it on there...

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:23 pm

GettingReady2010 wrote:There's a resume example/template on this site if you haven't found it yet.
\

thank you i've seen the article (linked it in the OP actually) but was looking for an example that doesn't have everything taken out

Thanks Dulcatis for that link I'll check it out

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:25 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
GettingReady2010 wrote:There's a resume example/template on this site if you haven't found it yet.
\

thank you i've seen the article (linked it in the OP actually) but was looking for an example that doesn't have everything taken out

Maybe they took it down, but when I was making my resume, there was one that was filled in.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:27 pm

GettingReady2010 wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:
\

Maybe they took it down, but when I was making my resume, there was one that was filled in.

it's filled in but has (blahblah removed) in a lot of the sections...and since I'm looking more for examples on how to word my headings, display my Major etc it was a little confusing. I Should've been more clear about that, sorry :)

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:36 pm

The Harvard examples always trip me up and convince me my chances are doomed. United Nations & Phi Betta Kappa for the first one, Princeton grad with experience working at McKinsey(!!!)for the third.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:42 pm

acrossthelake wrote:The Harvard examples always trip me up and convince me my chances are doomed. United Nations & Phi Betta Kappa for the first one, Princeton grad with experience working at McKinsey(!!!)for the third.

not to mention the guy that worked for the United Nations.

but at least the Harvard ones are not redacted (they just make me feel bad about my life) lol

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:51 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:The Harvard examples always trip me up and convince me my chances are doomed. United Nations & Phi Betta Kappa for the first one, Princeton grad with experience working at McKinsey(!!!)for the third.

but at least the Harvard ones are not redacted (they just make me feel bad about my life) lol

:lol:

Kafka

Postby Kafka » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:53 pm

Shit, those Harvard examples got me feeling nervous lol.

Postby 4102011 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:56 pm

See, I just didn't read the Harvard examples on purpose XD I just read through for format and ignored everything else as soon as I saw that stuff about the UN...

kazu

Postby kazu » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:03 am

acrossthelake wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:

*Making mental note not to click on the link since I already have really low self-esteem.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:08 am

acrossthelake wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:

woops...I better get back to my LSAT book. :oops:

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:12 am

Are you (OP) in undergrad? I don't have much knowledge of professional resumes, but I'd be more than happy to help out with a college student/recent grad resume.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:30 am

LSpleaseee wrote:-key courses
-Class rank
-Graduating class median (don't even know where to find this...)

None of this stuff should be on a professional resume. Honestly, there's nothing wrong with not knowing your rank or median.

Don't interpret that as saying you shouldn't include a significant research topic or thesis: those are perfect for a resume.

The problem you'll run into in college is not having enough stuff to fill one. I'd go for including interesting minor community service type stuff over trying to stretch a whole paragraph out of your degree or internship. Just format it all professionally. Situation -> Behavior -> Outcome.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:11 am

Eskimo: I just graduated from undergrad in May and your help would be muchh appreciated!

d34dluk3 wrote:
Don't interpret that as saying you shouldn't include a significant research topic or thesis: those are perfect for a resume.

The problem you'll run into in college is not having enough stuff to fill one.

definitely the problem I'm running into! But your suggestions just made me think of something I did a pretty significant study/paper in my last semester (no thesis) so maybe I will include that. How would I go about listing that in my resume?

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:22 am

LSpleaseee wrote:definitely the problem I'm running into! But your suggestions just made me think of something I did a pretty significant study/paper in my last semester (no thesis) so maybe I will include that. How would I go about listing that in my resume?

I would go for:

Education header

Degree, GPA, honors, etc.

Work experience header (hopefully you have an internship or something, if you just worked at Cold Stone leave that type of stuff off. If you have nothing good, cut this whole header. )

Job 1

Job 2

Activities and Achievements header

- nice title for your study
1-3 tight sentences. Situation, behavior, outcome.

- other activities and achievements (same format as study)

Community service header (leave these activities out of above)

- community service 1 (same format as study)

- community service 2 (same format as study)

etc.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:28 am

d34dluk3 wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:definitely the problem I'm running into! But your suggestions just made me think of something I did a pretty significant study/paper in my last semester (no thesis) so maybe I will include that. How would I go about listing that in my resume?

I would go for:

Education header

Degree, GPA, honors, etc.

Work experience header (hopefully you have an internship or something, if you just worked at Cold Stone leave that type of stuff off. If you have nothing good, cut this whole header. )

Job 1

Job 2

Activities and Achievements header

- nice title for your study
1-3 tight sentences. Situation, behavior, outcome.

- other activities and achievements (same format as study)

Community service header (leave these activities out of above)

- community service 1 (same format as study)

- community service 2 (same format as study)

etc.

This looks good, however I would definitely add jobs like Cold Stone if you did them during school, especially if you're hurting for things to add. I have an on-campus position, a research position, and a job I had at a coffee shop all listed. If you worked there during school, I think it belongs on a college resume, especially if you don't have much else - you need to show them you spent your free time doing something besides partying (which is what I'd assume upon seeing a semi-blank resume.)

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:31 am

Also, I have a kind of urgent question: How can I get just a few words of text to right-align?

Like if I have

XYZ University -------------------------------------------------------- May 2011

I want "May 2011" to be right-aligned, but when I try to only right align those words, XYZ University AND the rest of that section go with it.

Let me know if it's not clear what I'm trying to do, but I need to get a resume sent off to my interviewer this morning and I want it to be perfect! :D

saito816

Postby saito816 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:41 am

eskimo wrote:Also, I have a kind of urgent question: How can I get just a few words of text to right-align?

Like if I have

XYZ University -------------------------------------------------------- May 2011

I want "May 2011" to be right-aligned, but when I try to only right align those words, XYZ University AND the rest of that section go with it.

Let me know if it's not clear what I'm trying to do, but I need to get a resume sent off to my interviewer this morning and I want it to be perfect! :D

For my resume, I just tabbed over until I reached the right margin, wrote the date in, then made small adjustments until I got to line up right. It wasn't really too time consuming, although there might be a better way to do it.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:43 am

saito816 wrote:
eskimo wrote:Also, I have a kind of urgent question: How can I get just a few words of text to right-align?

Like if I have

For my resume, I just tabbed over until I reached the right margin, wrote the date in, then made small adjustments until I got to line up right. It wasn't really too time consuming, although there might be a better way to do it.

That's what I did, but it's not lining up perfectly. Even when each line of text is as far over as possible, the words don't look right-aligned, and there are varying distances between the end of the word and the margin.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:44 am

eskimo wrote:This looks good, however I would definitely add jobs like Cold Stone if you did them during school, especially if you're hurting for things to add. I have an on-campus position, a research position, and a job I had at a coffee shop all listed. If you worked there during school, I think it belongs on a college resume, especially if you don't have much else - you need to show them you spent your free time doing something besides partying (which is what I'd assume upon seeing a semi-blank resume.)

This is pretty true, which is really funny to me because a year out of school you would never want that job on your resume.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:48 am

d34dluk3 wrote:
eskimo wrote:This looks good, however I would definitely add jobs like Cold Stone if you did them during school, especially if you're hurting for things to add. I have an on-campus position, a research position, and a job I had at a coffee shop all listed. If you worked there during school, I think it belongs on a college resume, especially if you don't have much else - you need to show them you spent your free time doing something besides partying (which is what I'd assume upon seeing a semi-blank resume.)

This is pretty true, which is really funny to me because a year out of school you would never want that job on your resume.

...you mean Wachtell doesn't want to know how awesome I am at scooping ice cream?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”