Faxing LOR's

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nyk3
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:32 pm

Faxing LOR's

Postby nyk3 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:27 pm

Saw this mentioned here in another thread. Does this actually work? What's the number?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Faxing LOR's

Postby bk1 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:32 pm


xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Faxing LOR's

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:59 pm

they just changed their policy. no more faxing. Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll process it if you fax it.

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Faxing LOR's

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:03 pm

Faxing worked for me.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Faxing LOR's

Postby kazu » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:08 pm


xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Faxing LOR's

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:05 pm

acrossthelake wrote:Faxing worked for me.


did you do this recently? If so, I am so jealous. I just told my recommenders to fax their letters and then a day later I see LSAC changed their policy.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Faxing LOR's

Postby bk1 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:08 pm

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:Faxing worked for me.


did you do this recently? If so, I am so jealous. I just told my recommenders to fax their letters and then a day later I see LSAC changed their policy.


They have not changed their policy as a whole.

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Faxing LOR's

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:11 pm

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:Faxing worked for me.


did you do this recently? If so, I am so jealous. I just told my recommenders to fax their letters and then a day later I see LSAC changed their policy.


Last Tuesday. Though, the other recommender I told Fri hasn't come in yet...not sure if it's because she hasn't sent it or what.

xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Faxing LOR's

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:11 pm

bk1 wrote:
xyzzzzzzzz wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:Faxing worked for me.


did you do this recently? If so, I am so jealous. I just told my recommenders to fax their letters and then a day later I see LSAC changed their policy.


They have not changed their policy as a whole.


Meaning?

User avatar
lzyovrachievr
Posts: 1695
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:24 am

Re: Faxing LOR's

Postby lzyovrachievr » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:47 pm

As posted in other areas, LSAC says on their website that you shouldn't fax your LORs, and they occasionally tell callers not to do it (though some say it's fine).

However, if you fax it, it gets processed quickly. So while they changed their policy on the website, they still accept them. My recommender sent one last week, no problem. No one has yet reported a problem with it actually going through and being posted to your account.

The image quality will not be as good as if you mail them though.

xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Faxing LOR's

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:16 pm

lzyovrachievr wrote:As posted in other areas, LSAC says on their website that you shouldn't fax your LORs, and they occasionally tell callers not to do it (though some say it's fine).

However, if you fax it, it gets processed quickly. So while they changed their policy on the website, they still accept them. My recommender sent one last week, no problem. No one has yet reported a problem with it actually going through and being posted to your account.

The image quality will not be as good as if you mail them though.


Thanks for that. I guess I'm just worried this current window will eventually close and in a month if I have a writer fax the recommendation it won't get processed.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Faxing LOR's

Postby bk1 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:30 pm

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:
lzyovrachievr wrote:As posted in other areas, LSAC says on their website that you shouldn't fax your LORs, and they occasionally tell callers not to do it (though some say it's fine).

However, if you fax it, it gets processed quickly. So while they changed their policy on the website, they still accept them. My recommender sent one last week, no problem. No one has yet reported a problem with it actually going through and being posted to your account.

The image quality will not be as good as if you mail them though.


Thanks for that. I guess I'm just worried this current window will eventually close and in a month if I have a writer fax the recommendation it won't get processed.


If a fax isn't processed within 24 hours, call them and see they got it and if they say to mail it, I guess either try again or mail it.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Faxing LOR's

Postby kazu » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:46 pm

bk1 wrote:
If a fax isn't processed within 24 hours, call them and see they got it and if they say to mail it, I guess either try again or mail it.


Does this work though? When I called 3 days after sending a fax (not LOR-related, had misspelled my name and wanted to fix it) the person said that he couldn't confirm whether they had gotten it, to wait for a week and then if it still hadn't shown up try calling again then. :evil:

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Faxing LOR's

Postby bk1 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:52 pm

If they haven't gotten it within 24 hours I don't think they will get that fax. Try refaxing or mailing. I haven't tried calling them though, it was merely a suggestion.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Faxing LOR's

Postby kazu » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:07 am

bk1 wrote:If they haven't gotten it within 24 hours I don't think they will get that fax. Try refaxing or mailing. I haven't tried calling them though, it was merely a suggestion.


Nah it turns out that all my reports that the law school will see were fixed, but the changes can't/won't show up on my "profile information" page for some reason. Apparently they have a permanent glitch in their system :roll:

However it is easier to know whether an LOR has been processed or not - I agree with the "try again or mail" advice, just keep in mind LSAC might not tell you if they've gotten it or not.

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: Faxing LOR's

Postby JJDancer » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:30 pm

Had one faxed in 3 days ago that got posted within a few hours.

Had another one faxed in today but it's not up yet. I'll wait til around 4 and then call and check if they received it/if the quality is ok..
EDIT: Lsac has the one from today up.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Socratease and 4 guests