Faxing LOR's

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nyk3

Faxing LOR's

Postby nyk3 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:27 pm

Saw this mentioned here in another thread. Does this actually work? What's the number?

bk1

Re: Faxing LOR's

Postby bk1 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:32 pm

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:59 pm

they just changed their policy. no more faxing. Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll process it if you fax it.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:03 pm

Faxing worked for me.

kazu

Postby kazu » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:08 pm

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:05 pm

acrossthelake wrote:Faxing worked for me.

did you do this recently? If so, I am so jealous. I just told my recommenders to fax their letters and then a day later I see LSAC changed their policy.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:08 pm

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:

did you do this recently? If so, I am so jealous. I just told my recommenders to fax their letters and then a day later I see LSAC changed their policy.

They have not changed their policy as a whole.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:11 pm

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:

Last Tuesday. Though, the other recommender I told Fri hasn't come in yet...not sure if it's because she hasn't sent it or what.

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:11 pm

bk1 wrote:
xyzzzzzzzz wrote:

They have not changed their policy as a whole.

Meaning?

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:47 pm

As posted in other areas, LSAC says on their website that you shouldn't fax your LORs, and they occasionally tell callers not to do it (though some say it's fine).

However, if you fax it, it gets processed quickly. So while they changed their policy on the website, they still accept them. My recommender sent one last week, no problem. No one has yet reported a problem with it actually going through and being posted to your account.

The image quality will not be as good as if you mail them though.

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:16 pm

lzyovrachievr wrote:As posted in other areas, LSAC says on their website that you shouldn't fax your LORs, and they occasionally tell callers not to do it (though some say it's fine).

However, if you fax it, it gets processed quickly. So while they changed their policy on the website, they still accept them. My recommender sent one last week, no problem. No one has yet reported a problem with it actually going through and being posted to your account.

Thanks for that. I guess I'm just worried this current window will eventually close and in a month if I have a writer fax the recommendation it won't get processed.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:30 pm

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:
lzyovrachievr wrote:As posted in other areas, LSAC says on their website that you shouldn't fax your LORs, and they occasionally tell callers not to do it (though some say it's fine).

Thanks for that. I guess I'm just worried this current window will eventually close and in a month if I have a writer fax the recommendation it won't get processed.

If a fax isn't processed within 24 hours, call them and see they got it and if they say to mail it, I guess either try again or mail it.

kazu

Postby kazu » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:46 pm

bk1 wrote:
If a fax isn't processed within 24 hours, call them and see they got it and if they say to mail it, I guess either try again or mail it.

Does this work though? When I called 3 days after sending a fax (not LOR-related, had misspelled my name and wanted to fix it) the person said that he couldn't confirm whether they had gotten it, to wait for a week and then if it still hadn't shown up try calling again then. :evil:

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:52 pm

If they haven't gotten it within 24 hours I don't think they will get that fax. Try refaxing or mailing. I haven't tried calling them though, it was merely a suggestion.

kazu

Postby kazu » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:07 am

bk1 wrote:If they haven't gotten it within 24 hours I don't think they will get that fax. Try refaxing or mailing. I haven't tried calling them though, it was merely a suggestion.

Nah it turns out that all my reports that the law school will see were fixed, but the changes can't/won't show up on my "profile information" page for some reason. Apparently they have a permanent glitch in their system :roll:

However it is easier to know whether an LOR has been processed or not - I agree with the "try again or mail" advice, just keep in mind LSAC might not tell you if they've gotten it or not.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:30 pm

Had one faxed in 3 days ago that got posted within a few hours.

Had another one faxed in today but it's not up yet. I'll wait til around 4 and then call and check if they received it/if the quality is ok..
EDIT: Lsac has the one from today up.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”