Wait for Fee Waiver to start App?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mst

Wait for Fee Waiver to start App?

Postby mst » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:48 pm

Simple question here, but didn't find the answer in a brief search. I'm considering applying to 20 or more schools this fall (3.6, 172) and I would love to get to work opening applications online and browsing them for requirements, etc. However, I'm afraid that by making applications active I will be stopping possible merit-based fee waivers from coming my way. I've already gotten quite a few (mostly from schools I wouldn't apply to, but some useful ones), but I would really appreciate saving nearly 2 grand in application fees over the next few months if possible.

So, base question: Should I start the apps now, and just hope for the best? Can the schools see that I have their application "active?" Should I hold off on starting applications to schools I don't have waivers for until my PS & DS, and letters, are done?

Thanks!

Re: Wait for Fee Waiver to start App?

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:53 pm

mst wrote:Simple question here, but didn't find the answer in a brief search. I'm considering applying to 20 or more schools this fall (3.6, 172) and I would love to get to work opening applications online and browsing them for requirements, etc. However, I'm afraid that by making applications active I will be stopping possible merit-based fee waivers from coming my way. I've already gotten quite a few (mostly from schools I wouldn't apply to, but some useful ones), but I would really appreciate saving nearly 2 grand in application fees over the next few months if possible.

So, base question: Should I start the apps now, and just hope for the best? Can the schools see that I have their application "active?" Should I hold off on starting applications to schools I don't have waivers for until my PS & DS, and letters, are done?

Thanks!

You won't shut yourself out of anything by making them active. I received a bunch of fee waivers by e-mailing schools and asking for them. I also had some stealth fee waivers I found by opening and submitting a blank app and on the payment page it said waived.

afa_brandon

Postby afa_brandon » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:54 pm

mst wrote:Simple question here, but didn't find the answer in a brief search. I'm considering applying to 20 or more schools this fall (3.6, 172) and I would love to get to work opening applications online and browsing them for requirements, etc. However, I'm afraid that by making applications active I will be stopping possible merit-based fee waivers from coming my way. I've already gotten quite a few (mostly from schools I wouldn't apply to, but some useful ones), but I would really appreciate saving nearly 2 grand in application fees over the next few months if possible.

Thanks!

I doubt they have visibility on all open applications. As long as you don't submit and pay, you should be fine. I received a fee waiver from BU after I'd opened their app, but I had requested it, so I don't know how applicable that anecdote is.

wonkymonkey

Postby wonkymonkey » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:01 pm

Did you request the BU fee waiver via email?

Cromartie

Postby Cromartie » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:25 pm

blowhard wrote:

Thanks!

You won't shut yourself out of anything by making them active. I received a bunch of fee waivers by e-mailing schools and asking for them. I also had some stealth fee waivers I found by opening and submitting a blank app and on the payment page it said waived.

This is true. I got stealth waivers from Duke and Northwestern last cycle. The NW one was particularly pleasing considering how much their app fee is.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”