Speeding Tix Addendum - Is this Okay???

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
angiej
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 am

Speeding Tix Addendum - Is this Okay???

Postby angiej » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:27 am

Here's what I have so far, do I need to be more specific on dates and how fast I was going?

From 2001 to 2003 I received six minor traffic violations for speeding. Since my last speeding ticket on August 20, 2003, I completed a defensive driving course. Additionally, I volunteer as a driving instructor with the XXXX and have learned about the dangers of exceeding the posted speed limit.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Speeding Tix Addendum - Is this Okay???

Postby kalvano » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:45 am

You don't even need the explanation. They don't care.

I just listed the offenses I remember and the end result.

User avatar
angiej
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 am

Re: Speeding Tix Addendum - Is this Okay???

Postby angiej » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:46 am

kalvano wrote:You don't even need the explanation. They don't care.

I just listed the offenses I remember and the end result.



Do you think if I include a loooooong list of six offenses it will somehow look more serious than just saying "I had six tix?"

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Speeding Tix Addendum - Is this Okay???

Postby kalvano » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:51 am

I had way more than you. Mine looked like this -


Over the course of 15 years of driving, I have had several minor traffic tickets. All were
resolved promptly, and most were either dismissed outright or expunged after a driving course or
deferred adjudication.

As they were expunged from my records and most go back over 10 years, I am unable to
remember or obtain exact details or dates. Any omission is not intentional or purposeful. The
ones I recall are listed below –

Speeding, 10/2001, Addison, Texas – Dismissed
Unsafe Lane Change, 03/2003, Lewisville, Texas – Dismissed
Expired Registration, 03/2004, Lewisville, Texas – Dismissed
Speeding / Failure to change address, 08/2004, Dallas, Texas – Dismissed
Failure to change address, 09/2004, Farmer’s Branch – Dismissed
Disregard traffic control device, 01/2005, Dallas, Texas – Dismissed
Failure to change address / speeding, 06/2005, Dallas, Texas - Dismissed
Too fast for conditions, 06/2006, Denver, Colorado – Guilty
Speeding, 11/2008, Flower Mound, Texas – Dismissed
Speeding, 01/2009, Plano, Texas – Dismissed


I have attempted to recall, to the best of my ability, any infraction and list it here within.

User avatar
angiej
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 am

Re: Speeding Tix Addendum - Is this Okay???

Postby angiej » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:58 am

kalvano wrote:I had way more than you. Mine looked like this -


Over the course of 15 years of driving, I have had several minor traffic tickets. All were
resolved promptly, and most were either dismissed outright or expunged after a driving course or
deferred adjudication.

As they were expunged from my records and most go back over 10 years, I am unable to
remember or obtain exact details or dates. Any omission is not intentional or purposeful. The
ones I recall are listed below –

Speeding, 10/2001, Addison, Texas – Dismissed
Unsafe Lane Change, 03/2003, Lewisville, Texas – Dismissed
Expired Registration, 03/2004, Lewisville, Texas – Dismissed
Speeding / Failure to change address, 08/2004, Dallas, Texas – Dismissed
Failure to change address, 09/2004, Farmer’s Branch – Dismissed
Disregard traffic control device, 01/2005, Dallas, Texas – Dismissed
Failure to change address / speeding, 06/2005, Dallas, Texas - Dismissed
Too fast for conditions, 06/2006, Denver, Colorado – Guilty
Speeding, 11/2008, Flower Mound, Texas – Dismissed
Speeding, 01/2009, Plano, Texas – Dismissed


I have attempted to recall, to the best of my ability, any infraction and list it here within.


Ah - I like yours much better! When you label it dismissed, did you fight your way out of it or pay it and move on? I didn't get any dismissed, but some were reduced just by me showing up and giving some sort of excuse or reason.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Speeding Tix Addendum - Is this Okay???

Postby kalvano » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:00 am

I always fought speeding tickets. A matter of principle.

I have more than what's listed, I just can't remember when or where.

By "dismissed", I mean not on my record by whatever means...won the case, deferred adjudication, defensive driving, whatever.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Speeding Tix Addendum - Is this Okay???

Postby TommyK » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:02 am

kalvano wrote:I always fought speeding tickets. A matter of principle.

I have more than what's listed, I just can't remember when or where.

By "dismissed", I mean not on my record by whatever means...won the case, deferred adjudication, defensive driving, whatever.


Holy cow. You'll have to teach us how you get so many dismissed!

la2011
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:22 pm

Re: Speeding Tix Addendum - Is this Okay???

Postby la2011 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:03 am

Whaaat? Thats bs. I've gotten speeding tickets in Lewisville, Dallas, Plano, Carrollton, and Denton. Not one dismissed. Took it to court too.

User avatar
angiej
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 am

Re: Speeding Tix Addendum - Is this Okay???

Postby angiej » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:08 am

I pulled my driving record and it appears I have 3 "non-pointable violations." I can't remember for the life of me what they were for, one may be for expired tags and I believe another may have been for having a light out or something. Do I include these too?

313D313
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:52 pm

Re: Speeding Tix Addendum - Is this Okay???

Postby 313D313 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:23 am

are you required to list these on applications???

User avatar
angiej
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 am

Re: Speeding Tix Addendum - Is this Okay???

Postby angiej » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:12 pm

313D313 wrote:are you required to list these on applications???


Almost all of the apps that I've seen request that you include not just felony and misdemeanor criminal actions (regardless of disposition) but all (even minor) traffic offenses and violations.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Speeding Tix Addendum - Is this Okay???

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:14 pm

angiej wrote:
313D313 wrote:are you required to list these on applications???


Almost all of the apps that I've seen request that you include not just felony and misdemeanor criminal actions (regardless of disposition) but all (even minor) traffic offenses and violations.


Uh, actually very few schools require traffic tickets be disclosed. Most say excluding minor traffic citations...or they did last year. I think Michigan is the only one that asked about them...

User avatar
JTX
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:23 pm

Re: Speeding Tix Addendum - Is this Okay???

Postby JTX » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:16 pm

blowhard wrote:
angiej wrote:
313D313 wrote:are you required to list these on applications???


Almost all of the apps that I've seen request that you include not just felony and misdemeanor criminal actions (regardless of disposition) but all (even minor) traffic offenses and violations.


Uh, actually very few schools require traffic tickets be disclosed. Most say excluding minor traffic citations...or they did last year. I think Michigan is the only one that asked about them...


blatant I'm-going-to-Michigan trolling.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Speeding Tix Addendum - Is this Okay???

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:17 pm

JTX wrote:
blowhard wrote:
angiej wrote:
313D313 wrote:are you required to list these on applications???


Almost all of the apps that I've seen request that you include not just felony and misdemeanor criminal actions (regardless of disposition) but all (even minor) traffic offenses and violations.


Uh, actually very few schools require traffic tickets be disclosed. Most say excluding minor traffic citations...or they did last year. I think Michigan is the only one that asked about them...


blatant I'm-going-to-Michigan trolling.


:D

trudat15
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: Speeding Tix Addendum - Is this Okay???

Postby trudat15 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:19 pm

blowhard wrote:
angiej wrote:
313D313 wrote:are you required to list these on applications???


Almost all of the apps that I've seen request that you include not just felony and misdemeanor criminal actions (regardless of disposition) but all (even minor) traffic offenses and violations.


Uh, actually very few schools require traffic tickets be disclosed. Most say excluding minor traffic citations...or they did last year. I think Michigan is the only one that asked about them...


How do you get them if you dont remember them? I've only gotten one like 5 years ago, but dont remember anything close to the date. The only thing I would know offhand is the city it was in.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Speeding Tix Addendum - Is this Okay???

Postby kalvano » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:21 pm

blowhard wrote:
angiej wrote:
313D313 wrote:are you required to list these on applications???


Almost all of the apps that I've seen request that you include not just felony and misdemeanor criminal actions (regardless of disposition) but all (even minor) traffic offenses and violations.


Uh, actually very few schools require traffic tickets be disclosed. Most say excluding minor traffic citations...or they did last year. I think Michigan is the only one that asked about them...



Quite a few ask.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Speeding Tix Addendum - Is this Okay???

Postby kalvano » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 pm

trudat15 wrote:How do you get them if you dont remember them? I've only gotten one like 5 years ago, but dont remember anything close to the date. The only thing I would know offhand is the city it was in.



You can look up your driving record and see if it's on there. If it wasn't dismissed, it probably is.

And I did call schools and ask. It's OK to say you had more but don't remember when or where. They aren't going to investigate every single one. It's for the bar when your apply to be certified, they want to make sure you aren't trying to hide anything.

lawyerwannabe
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:39 pm

Re: Speeding Tix Addendum - Is this Okay???

Postby lawyerwannabe » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:32 pm

Some examples:

BU-

"Other than a first conviction for any of the following crimes - drunkenness, simple assault, speeding, minor traffic violation, affray, or disturbance of peace - have you been convicted of a misdemeanor within the past five years?"

CLS-

"Have you ever, either as a juvenile or an adult, been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic violation?"

Upenn-

"Have you ever, either as a juvenile or an adult, been convicted of a crime, or is any charge now pending against you?"

Does a ticket for traffic violation (e.g. failure to adhere to a traffic device, etc) apply here? I am pretty sure that is not a crime. It seems to be a misdemeanor though.

NonTradHealthLaw
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 2:44 pm

Re: Speeding Tix Addendum - Is this Okay???

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:52 pm

Depends on the severity and state of the offense, but most times when you receive a ticket without incarceration or court appearance, you are guilty of an infraction, not a misdemeanor.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Speeding Tix Addendum - Is this Okay???

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:54 pm

NonTradHealthLaw wrote:Depends on the severity and state of the offense, but most times when you receive a ticket without incarceration or court appearance, you are guilty of an infraction, not a misdemeanor.


That depends greatly on the state and the offense.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Speeding Tix Addendum - Is this Okay???

Postby kalvano » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:04 pm

[quote="lawyerwannabe"Does a ticket for traffic violation (e.g. failure to adhere to a traffic device, etc) apply here? I am pretty sure that is not a crime. It seems to be a misdemeanor though.[/quote]


You're breaking the law, so yes.

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Speeding Tix Addendum - Is this Okay???

Postby nealric » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:27 pm

[quote="lawyerwannabe"Does a ticket for traffic violation (e.g. failure to adhere to a traffic device, etc) apply here? I am pretty sure that is not a crime. It seems to be a misdemeanor though.


You're breaking the law, so yes.


Ah 0L's.

Breaking the law != crime. There are plenty of laws out there which only create civil penalties. In most states a "crime" is a term of art, and applies only to felonies and misdemeanors enumerated under the penal code. Many (if not most) states call minor traffic infractions "violations" or "civil infractions" and do not consider them crimes.

As for law school apps: Law schools really only care if you are going to be a problem for the character and fitness applications for the bar. If the school asks specifically to include traffic tickets, or your traffic ticket was classified as a misdemeanor and the school asks for all misdemeanors, go ahead and include them- failing to disclose is a much bigger issue than the actual crime for bar purposes. If you do disclose, it won't change your application chances in the least unless your driving record is absurdly bad (like multiple license suspensions).

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Speeding Tix Addendum - Is this Okay???

Postby kalvano » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:13 pm

nealric wrote:
[quote="lawyerwannabe"Does a ticket for traffic violation (e.g. failure to adhere to a traffic device, etc) apply here? I am pretty sure that is not a crime. It seems to be a misdemeanor though.


You're breaking the law, so yes.


Ah 0L's.

Breaking the law != crime. There are plenty of laws out there which only create civil penalties. In most states a "crime" is a term of art, and applies only to felonies and misdemeanors enumerated under the penal code. Many (if not most) states call minor traffic infractions "violations" or "civil infractions" and do not consider them crimes.



It's a crime here.

GMVarun
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:48 pm

Re: Speeding Tix Addendum - Is this Okay???

Postby GMVarun » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:32 pm

blowhard wrote:I think Michigan is the only one that asked about them...


I'm pretty sure Michigan does not require you to list minor traffic offenses. Here's what last year's app says:

Michigan Application wrote:Have you ever been convicted of a crime, including misdemeanors and infractions, but excluding minor traffic violations, or are such criminal charges pending or expected to be brought against you?


I got scared there for a second so I went back and looked it up haha. This is last year's though

trudat15
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: Speeding Tix Addendum - Is this Okay???

Postby trudat15 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:51 am

kalvano wrote:
trudat15 wrote:How do you get them if you dont remember them? I've only gotten one like 5 years ago, but dont remember anything close to the date. The only thing I would know offhand is the city it was in.



You can look up your driving record and see if it's on there. If it wasn't dismissed, it probably is.




Just looked up my driving record and it's gone because I took traffic classes online. Should I just guesstimate when I did that? Seems so ridiculous...




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], rararara111 and 9 guests