Another...where can I go thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nothereok

Another...where can I go thread

Postby nothereok » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:19 am

Okay I'll just come back in a two months with an actual score. Anyone know how to delete posts?
Last edited by nothereok on Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

awesomepossum

Re: Another...where can I go thread

Postby awesomepossum » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:19 am

nothereok wrote:Sorry in advance everyone. I know these threads are repetitive. I just dont have the time right now to fully research my chances at top schools and the posts I've read to other people's threads have been really helpful in narrowing down where they have a shot. So if you have the time I'd really appreciate the advice.

Basically I have a lot of softs, a low GPA, and hopefully a high LSAT. Here are the details:

Undergrad GPA: (Yale) 3.2 (some weak mitigating factors and an upward trend)
I've taken some masters classes for TFA and have a 3.78 in those
LSAT: Lets says 172 ( I know I won't have any idea until test day, but I've tested over 172 on all the PT I've taken except my diagnostic (171) and those are all I have to go on for now...sorry)
URM
Teach for America - I got my students to score as one of the top 20 math classes in the state
Started a semi-chariatable business over the course of this year ( weird I know...but the goal is to provide supplmental income during law school while also giving back)....launching in October
Have one year working at a engineering firm before TFA
Have a lot of college leadership (student government, student group funding committee, intramural supervisor, freshmen counselor, etc)

Ideally I'd like to get into a top 14 school. Would anyone be willing to accept a 3.2? Or is GPA all that matters, even if you've been out of school for 3 years.

3 years isn't that long.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:40 am

nothereok wrote:Sorry in advance everyone. I know these threads are repetitive. I just dont have the time right now to fully research my chances at top schools and the posts I've read to other people's threads have been really helpful in narrowing down where they have a shot. So if you have the time I'd really appreciate the advice.

Basically I have a lot of softs, a low GPA, and hopefully a high LSAT. Here are the details:

LSAT: Lets says 172 ( I know I won't have any idea until test day, but I've tested over 172 on all the PT I've taken except my diagnostic (171) and those are all I have to go on for now...sorry)
URM
Teach for America - I got my students to score as one of the top 20 math classes in the state
Started a semi-chariatable business over the course of this year ( weird I know...but the goal is to provide supplmental income during law school while also giving back)....launching in October
Have a lot of college leadership (student government, student group funding committee, intramural supervisor, freshmen counselor, etc)

Ideally I'd like to get into a top 14 school. Would anyone be willing to accept a 3.2? Or is GPA all that matters, even if you've been out of school for 3 years.

GPA and LSAT are pretty much all that matters, although your URM status and (to a lesser extent) Teach for America are pretty great softs. Pretty much everything else you mentioned is much, much less important. Without really looking on LSN, which you should do, I'd say with your 3.2 and URM status, an LSAT over 167 would give you a really good shot at a T14. Best of luck!

(to clarify: your undergraduate GPA is still very, very relevant regardless of how long it's been since you graduated.)

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:24 am

Burger in a can wrote:

URM

GPA and LSAT are pretty much all that matters, although your URM status and (to a lesser extent) Teach for America are pretty great softs. Pretty much everything else you mentioned is much, much less important. Without really looking on LSN, which you should do, I'd say with your 3.2 and URM status, an LSAT over 167 would give you a really good shot at a T14. Best of luck!

(to clarify: your undergraduate GPA is still very, very relevant regardless of how long it's been since you graduated.)

I vote 164...because of URM+teach for america combo
What kind of URM are you,...
I think you can get into the t14 pretty easily 170+ t6

nothereok

Postby nothereok » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:46 am

Last edited by nothereok on Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:04 am

Just come back when you have an actual LSAT score, because this rampant speculation is fairly worthless.

Also

nothereok wrote:I just dont have the time right now to fully research my chances at top schools and the posts I've read to other people's threads have been really helpful in narrowing down where they have a shot.

Going to Law School Numbers or Law School Predictor would be a good way to get started, and it's pretty easy an painless.

nothereok

Postby nothereok » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:20 am

ok
Last edited by nothereok on Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:39 am

nothereok wrote:Yeah...I tried to apologize in advance for the speculative LSAT. I take the test October 9th and want my applications ready to go by early November..so this is preliminary stuff to narrow down where I should be looking to apply..... barring an aberrant test day.

I know the law school predictor thing, but it doesn't take into account TFA, upward trends in GPA...masters classes. etc. For example..I've heard reports ( conflicting of course) that some schools really like work experience and tend to look more into applicants rather that calculating a gpa/lsat ratio. I'd like to know those schools. I also have no idea what being a URM means in terms of admission.

A lot of people on here have seemed very knowledgeable and willing to share so I thought it was worth asking. I know it is annoying if I have no actual test score. I know I could just scour the posts and probably find answers to my questions..I just wanted a little direction. THanks. :)

LSP doesn't calculate for TFA, upward GPA trends, or Master's degrees because those things don't really matter that much. I tried to explain this before. GPA and LSAT are the primary considerations here. Your URM status gives you a significant bump. Look at lawschoolnumbers.com to find other URM students with your GPA and see what LSATs they needed to get into which schools. Without an LSAT, nobody will be able to give you any advice that will be any better than what you'll find out for yourself by looking at the raw data. Again, good luck to you.

nothereok

Postby nothereok » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:26 pm

I got a 177. I did my research and I'm trying for Berkeley. They said they are pulling away from GPA and try to take a more holistic approach to admissions. Anyways since I made the post thought I'd update,... especially since people got peeved with the lack of an LSAT score. Now to see if I get in anywhere...

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:37 pm

nothereok wrote:I got a 177. I did my research and I'm trying for Berkeley. They said they are pulling away from GPA and try to take a more holistic approach to admissions. Anyways since I made the post thought I'd update,... especially since people got peeved with the lack of an LSAT score. Now to see if I get in anywhere...

You're going to have a stellar cycle. Don't fret.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:42 pm

JazzOne wrote:
nothereok wrote:I got a 177. I did my research and I'm trying for Berkeley. They said they are pulling away from GPA and try to take a more holistic approach to admissions. Anyways since I made the post thought I'd update,... especially since people got peeved with the lack of an LSAT score. Now to see if I get in anywhere...

You're going to have a stellar cycle. Don't fret.

This. With that LSAT+URM+Softs combo, I don't see why you shouldn't blanket the T14 top to bottom and profit. Use lower scholarships to levy money from the higher schools.

GL, and well-done so far.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”